and it would also require new AI features like being alarmed by dead bodies. or is that already the case?

There is AFAIK a case for that in one of the fsms (danger.fsm ? )

There is AFAIK a case for that in one of the fsms (danger.fsm ? )

I just tried it in the editor and a squad will merrily walk past dead bodies without batting an eyelid. I think UPSMON has some provision for it though.

I just tried it in the editor and a squad will merrily walk past dead bodies without batting an eyelid. I think UPSMON has some provision for it though.

Yea, the FSM doesn't do anything. I think the node doesn't even have code in it, but then, the danger.fsm is a bit of a mystery to me, But it's true, they will not do anything, unfortunately.

and it would also require new AI features like being alarmed by dead bodies. or is that already the case?

My AI always get alarmed by dead bodies, also raise alarm and call other units, courtesy of GL4, but that's in A2, not tried it in A3..;)

When I tested in dev build a few weeks ago the AI did indeed react to dead bodies and I did not use UPSMON. Must be the current AI setback due to release version, try again with tomorrows dev build.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Yea... despite no coded routines in danger.fsm as Varanon mentions, i believe i saw some sort of reactions (combat mode if i'm not mistaken), if so > engine hardcoded. Keep in mind also that they may react differently if encountering dead group units against the others.

Let's not confuse an AI made explicitely for a stealth game with a huge combat operations one.

Yay!

Stealth scenarios demand AI ability to react to their friends' bodies, and the stealth aspect IS a part of Arma.

The fact that other games concentrate solely on stealth is irrelevant.

Stealth scenarios demand AI ability to react to their friends' bodies, and the stealth aspect IS a part of Arma.

The fact that other games concentrate solely on stealth is irrelevant.

Then it is come to mission scripting scope, not an AI coding.

Yea, the FSM doesn't do anything. I think the node doesn't even have code in it, but then, the danger.fsm is a bit of a mystery to me, But it's true, they will not do anything, unfortunately.

In the alpha, at least civilians would get alerted by a body, run towards it and investigate it. I've not seen that happen in a long, long time, though, and never with armed soldiers from any of the factions. Possibly it was causing problems and QA wanted it cut?

100% disagree with you. AI reacting to dead bodies should be a stock AI feature, and it was in previous dev builds so I'm sure it's still there tomorrow.

My earlier test was simple, one enemy AI that I killed and then one enemy AI walking by in safe mode one minute later. IIRC the AI spotted the boddy at ~40 m laying on the road and switched to COMBAT mode and ran towards the body and started to look around for me as well as trigger the "enemy detected" trigger. As it should be IMO since this gives you a reason to make sure you hide killed sentries if you are doing a stealth mission and that adds to the tension.

Would love to see more 1-2 players stealth missions instead of "kill-everyone-you-see-instead-of-using-the-brain". And as said now it is (again) possible to slow crawl up to AI sentries for silent kills or sneak past them undetected (for some reason this was broken in some A2 patch long time ago), and the keyword here is "slow".

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

It would be good if we had the ability to do a stealth knife take down and then have the option to hide the body. For me that would open a great deal of stealth/SpecOps mission scenarios. Maybe we will get a mod in the future that could do this, it's nice to dream sometimes........

Anyone know if when you rollback to the stable version from the dev version, does it delete the dev version files?

So if I was on dev, then went to stable and back to dev, would I have to redownload the dev files?

Anyone know if when you rollback to the stable version from the dev version, does it delete the dev version files?

So if I was on dev, then went to stable and back to dev, would I have to redownload the dev files?

yes, redownload would be necessary.

That's somewhat why the devs said that dev branch players should stay on it until after the launch.

yes, redownload would be necessary.

The dev and stable branches are now identical, so no re-download will happen (only on Monday after they will update the dev branch again).

how are you going to script the enemy to react to something dynamic, like characters being killed in-game, in real time? and how are you going to make such a routine simple and unobtrusive. that's right, you can't. you have no idea what you're talking about.

I removed the -nologs param thinking the reporting to the rpt file had been fixed.

It logged a 59 gb file on my server last night of repeating errors until it crashed my server.

WTF we going backwards now. A 59 gb file of errors is insane. It was doing this before that's why they implemented the -nologs param.

This is shit that should have already been dealt with pleaser fix the bleeding of the report logs (errors), 59 gb in four hours FFS.

Edited by xx-LSD-xx

@suprememodder

dynamic event driven scripting is totaly possible for that and any other purposes, it depends on creativity though.

I removed the -nologs param thinking the reporting to the rpt file had been fixed.

It logged a 59 gb file on my server last night of repeating errors until it crashed my server.

WTF we going backwards now. A 59 gb file of errors is insane. It was doing this before that's why they implemented the -nologs param.

This is shit that should have already been dealt with pleaser fix the bleeding of the report logs (errors), 59 gb in four hours FFS.

Posts like this make me not even want to load up the game again. I have yet to launch the exe after the Beta ended. Feeling like money wasted.

how are you going to script the enemy to react to something dynamic, like characters being killed in-game, in real time? and how are you going to make such a routine simple and unobtrusive. that's right, you can't. you have no idea what you're talking about.

what?

some "addEventHandler", "reveal", "knowAbout", "nearObjects","allDead","doStop","copyWaypoints","setCurrentWaypoint" and etc-etc. can do fine with that.

and, as I recalled, there are some plenty of stealth missions which, AI can detect dead bodies -by scripting, already made since A2.

Edited by Zatan13th

what?

some "addEventHandler", "reveal", "knowAbout", "nearObjects","allDead","doStop","copyWaypoints","setCurrentWaypoint" and etc-etc. can do fine with that.

and, as I recalled, there are some plenty of stealth missions which, AI can detect dead bodies -by scripting, already made since A2.

True, even back in the OFP days it was done via script (but was pretty resource demanding back then IIRC). To me it just shows there is a need for it to be a stock AI feature ;)

/KC

i bloody hate scripting....

80% of the time im on arma 3 im in the bloody editor trying to script (but fails)

modules modules modules please

---------- Post added at 06:45 ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 ----------

orrr if you did the little trick of having to folders im not 100% how to do it but apparently it was possible to switch over and not having to download gb gb gb gb but only mb instead

i bloody hate scripting....

80% of the time im on arma 3 im in the bloody editor trying to script (but fails)

modules modules modules please

That's not a problem with the game.

I know but I thought they were going to make it easier for people who don't know how to script...

the less scripting that has to be done more people would buy the game...simple

Originally Posted by xx-LSD-xx

Actually the final release version is a step backwards (weeks) in state of development. There where 3 branches (beta stable, Dev and release version). Just switch to dev build again today, when a patch comes out that updates the game to the state one day before release. We all know that a release doesn't mean it's final or finished...