How on earth do you accurately aim GBU-12s with this jet? No matter what reticle or aimpoint I use on the HUD, the bombs fall short.

I'm more used to the DCS A-10 aiming, which is you know...usable.

Buildings seem indestructible when firing tank shells or am I imagining things:rolleyes:

You're imagining things, unless you're firing sabot, in which case you're seriously uninformed.

Artyom, ArmA has never had working CCIP for unfathomable reasons. Those bombs are useless without someone designating.

How on earth do you accurately aim GBU-12s with this jet? No matter what reticle or aimpoint I use on the HUD, the bombs fall short.

I'm more used to the DCS A-10 aiming, which is you know...usable.

GBU-12 is a laser-guided bomb. So just like in DCS you need someone to designate the target with a laser designator.

Confirming the patch has worked wonders for the crashing problem, I am now able to play more than 3 minutes, and boy has it been an enjoyable... damn, 4 hours!?

Those bombs are useless without someone designating.

oh seems like someone has never done stuka style dive attacks :p

what you say is true. but for someone with some practice the word "useless" is kind of an overstatement. you can still do some damage.

oh seems like someone has never done stuka style dive attacks :p

what you say is true. but for someone with some practice the word "useless" is kind of an overstatement. you can still do some damage.

Are you saying that to be useful as a CAS pilot I must learn how to do no instrumentation dive bombing runs? In 2035?

Wasn't expecting lofting simulation, but still...

Yay!

Ok, CAS planes with no CCIP?

Yay!

And no rocket pods! Seriously, remove one of those AA missiles (that can be locked on ground targets and even destroy them with ease) and put some pods in there.

Exactly what weapons are deployable with a CAS plane right now? LGBs only? LGBs are mainly strike weapons.

Yay!

Are you saying that to be useful as a CAS pilot I must learn how to do no instrumentation dive bombing runs? In 2035?

nope. i'm not saying that. i was saying what i was saying: "useless is kind of an overstatement". i totally agree that WW2 air combat tactics should not be needed in 2035 to do a successful bombing run ;)

ArmA vehicles are usually pretty bad. The good news is that eventually we'll have ACE 3. In the last game they implemented detailed tank FCS, CCIP/CCRP, various Hellfire flightpath modes, and real-time firing solution pipper for the A10.

Edit: The bombsight has already been invented in WW2. We are using 1913 tactics, equivalent to hand-tossing the bombs out of your open cockpit.

A diving siren à la stuka would be wonderful :)

Edited by ProfTournesol
stuka not stucka

GBU-12 is a laser-guided bomb. So just like in DCS you need someone to designate the target with a laser designator.

CCIP bro. Even with a -45 AOA slow ingress the bomb misses.

I know total air sim isn't the goal, but basic CCIP CR would be nice alongside laser deg.

Exactly what weapons are deployable with a CAS plane right now? LGBs only? LGBs are mainly strike weapons.

Yay!

GBU-12, 2 AA variants I believe and HE cannon. On a CAS aircraft. The only difference from the AA config is the GBU-12s, which really limits its capabilities for ground attack. I'm not familar with the real world counterpart, but I can't imagine it's that useful with this loadout (comparatively). Then again it's for an independent faction right? So it kind of makes sense that they have a somewhat crappy loadout.

I'm assuming the artificial aimpoint is the correct targeting icon for bombs (gun pipper is seperate), so if you're like me and you don't like playing with the crosshair turned on, how am I supposed to aim when the HUD doesn't correspond at all to any of the aimpoints? Even the artificial gun reticle is different to the HUD.

Edited by Artyom

Exactly maturin.... You`re right.... I guess we will have to depend on mods....

I hope NO....

I hope NO....

To be fair, arma2 is an absolutely terribad god awful game, until you pile the mods on.

ArmA3 is a huge leap from stock arma2, though its still behind a well modded A2.

A well modded A3 will eventually be fairly god damn insane awesome.

When we get a new arma, all we really get is engine enhancements and an editor. Thats personally how i treat the new arma. Engine and editor, its the players that build the actual game in the style that appeals to our tastes.

CCIP bro. Even with a -45 AOA slow ingress the bomb misses.

I know total air sim isn't the goal, but basic CCIP CR would be nice alongside laser deg.

I didn't remember that you can use CCIP with GBUs in DCS but I checked it out and it is possible.

When we get a new arma, all we really get is engine enhancements and an editor. Thats personally how i treat the new arma. Engine and editor, its the players that build the actual game in the style that appeals to our tastes.
I could even be ok with this statement, but both the engine and the editor must be really good.

As it is now, the engine has some very good aspects, and some very bad flaws (weapons and how they are handled, animations restrictions, attachments, eccetera). The same goes for the Editor.

No 3D editor? Why is the scripting box so small and clunky to use? Why do the editor icons not show the real size of the object I'm placing? Eccetera.

I would really like to learn how to use the editor and start making missions myself, but right now it's too clunky, disordered and less than functional to really appeal me. A shame really.

Yay!

I don't know if you noticed, it is supposed to come out next week, so it is hardly "too early". Your denial of reality is really... quaint.

And you forgot to post everything I said.....kind of a half-truth on your part. I said that they will fix or balance the game over the next 4 months.

BIS is working their butts off to make this an epic game, give them more time after release. IMHO, the game is 90% there, it just needs some minor fixes, a fine tuning, and some more vehicles / weapons. Joris is on it.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

You are aware, though, that this sentence does not make any sense at all ? Or are you just blowing the "sandbox environment" around as a buzzword ? The "sandbox" is everything in the game, not only the terrain. The Sandbox is all the units in the game too. So if you say the tanks aren't up to standard (all two of them) and the planes aren't either (all one of them), then two whole pillars of the sandbox are not up to standards.

See, and there we go again. I may not be the best mission maker, and you might never have played anything from me, or you might have and though "stupid missions", but no matter what, I am a mission maker, one of those "community" guys that always have to "save the day" it seems with the current mindset of "the community will fix everything". And again, this comes from people who have NEVER given anything to the community in terms of missions or mods themselves.

Get away from that mindset that WE have to provide the missing things that YOU are missing in the game.

A) When I say sandbox, I'm referring to the editor and mission making. The main core of the game is infantry. Plenty of fun missions out there from the community and BIS.

B) Why do most of you that complain expect BIS to do everything for you? They built over 300 sq km of land for you to do battle within....yet you think they are lazy because the community will chip in and "save the day.". pfffffft. Again, ArmA 3 is a WIP......... Just from observing BIS over the past couple of years, Joris seems to have a different mind set ( Joris took over last Fall). Remember, they had many setbacks and delays over the past year, so be patient.

And you forgot to post everything I said.....kind of a half-truth on your part. I said that they will fix or balance the game over the next 4 months.

BIS is working their butts off to make this an epic game, give them more time after release. IMHO, the game is 90% there, it just needs some minor fixes, a fine tuning, and some more vehicles / weapons. Joris is on it.

I agree with you. To me the actual A3 will stay as "beta" for a long time ( even if it's officially released in a week ). Let's face the truth, they for whatever reason haven't had enough time to end and polish. I really think that with time, they will make everything work and give us some new stuff. It could ven be that 4 months is optimistic.

And sincerly I do think it would be worth to wait.

On the other hand I think it would be interesting that BI add some old stuff or an official AiA meanwhile ( I had made a postthat develops this idea ), so we will be entertained.

It makes me feel sad how people attack BI so hard ( some even insulting them ), after all they are human beings, and I do belive they are doing their best, even if they can't match their release dates.

is a game's "release" just an arbitrary event now? is "4 months" just an arbitrary time frame?

your just making a rather fluffy argument out of all the possibilities the future could offer. the same with the "mods will fix it" arguments. "modders" are regular people, not a mythical entity. they may move on, they may no longer have the time, they may not care anymore, they may not be able to repeat whatever 'magic' they pulled off with their earlier mod(s), etc. and they're certainly not getting paid to work on this game, unlike... the people that are getting paid to work on this game. you're not promised tomorrow, although you may have been promised Half Life 2 Episode 3...

I'm so looking forward to next week. Really. I'm so looking forward to the day this "argument" doesn't cut anymore

Again, I said it also takes 3 or 4 months to iron out stuff to perfection. I the gave the BF3 example and how Dice started out rough on the day of release, but ended up making a very solid Game for their genre.

I've collected a few very obvious issues and posted them up. There's a ton more, but I got tired of writing tickets for today, will continue tomorrow.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14019 APFSDS overpenetrating pretty much every target and doing no damage, invulnerable crew/cargo.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14021 All new sandbox vehicles apart from SUV are hovering above the ground.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14022 M2A1 is too small. We already found this with the Panther, why wasn't the M2 adjusted in the same vein when that came up?

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14023 Tank main guns lack animations and have no decent particle effect, current one reminiscent of 50s WW2 movies. Posted videos for review.

A) When I say sandbox, I'm referring to the editor and mission making. The main core of the game is infantry. Plenty of fun missions out there from the community and BIS.

Again, tanks and planes are part of the sandbox. Everything is part of the sandbox. Interesting missions require not only the protagonists, but a lot of backdrop too. That includes tanks, and even the animals that run around. Everything makes it interesting

B) Why do most of you that complain expect BIS to do everything for you? They built over 300 sq km of land for you to do battle within....yet you think they are lazy because the community will chip in and "save the day.". pfffffft. Again, ArmA 3 is a WIP......... Just from observing BIS over the past couple of years, Joris seems to have a different mind set ( Joris took over last Fall). Remember, they had many setbacks and delays over the past year, so be patient.

I'm not talking about BIS. I'm talking about the users that excuse the lack of content with the usual "The community will fix it". If you re-read what I wrote on several occasions now is that I do understand that the A3 development was plagued by setbacks and all. And since you are one of those: Have you ever given anything to the community in terms of missions and/or addons ?

And where the hell did I say they are lazy ? That's just your mind filling the gaps in your understanding of what i wrote, or my inability to communicate it correctly. Fact is, I didn't call anyone lazy. If at all, I question some of the decisions BIS made, but that's my full right as a customer.

And honestly, they got my money to build that 300 km² of land... they didn't build it "for me", they build it because we all PAID for it. So don't make it look as an act of charity. BIS is a commercial company that needs to live off their work. Heck, we all do. But the community content is made for free. So why the heck do you demand that I am "grateful" because BIS built me a large landmass to play on ? Be grateful to the 1000+ entries on the workshop and countless other items on Armaholic.

is a game's "release" just an arbitrary event now? is "4 months" just an arbitrary time frame?

your just making a rather fluffy argument out of all the possibilities the future could offer. the same with the "mods will fix it" arguments. "modders" are regular people, not a mythical entity. they may move on, they may no longer have the time, they may not care anymore, they may not be able to repeat whatever 'magic' they pulled off with their earlier mod(s), etc. and they're certainly not getting paid to work on this game, unlike... the people that are getting paid to work on this game. you're not promised tomorrow, although you may have been promised Half Life 2 Episode 3...

You can take one of three approaches to this game:

1). Enjoy it as is and be patient. It is a WIP for the next year or so.....the first 4 months will produce the most changes. 4 months is the average time I've observed most game company's fixing the major problems.....then after that it is fine tuning.

2). Complain all the time and be miserable.

3) Don't play.