It's late 2013, why is anyone still using a 32bit OS?

Because a huge amount of software still has no advantage on a 64bit OS, it's slowly getting there with new software but no where near the point where 64bit is needed.

because they are. around 25% according to the last Steam survey

Edited by daze23

Because a huge amount of software still has no advantage on a 64bit OS, it's slowly getting there with new software but no where near the point where 64bit is needed.

You've sort of misinterpreted the question, there is little reason to use a 32bit OS as 64bit OSs are backwards compatible with 32bit applications.

Because some people can't upgrade their PC every 2 years, just because developers get lazier and lazier(not directly implying BI).

You've sort of misinterpreted the question, there is little reason to use a 32bit OS as 64bit OSs are backwards compatible with 32bit applications.

No I didn't, some people will continue to use 32bit OS software as long as they can still use what they need until they are forced to update to 64bit OS. It's like saying why do people still use Windows XP when it's outdated and only has support for DX9, same reason of what I just said. It's still a good stable OS and supports most software, until people have a reason to buy a new OS a lot will stick with what works not like some who have to buy the latest of everything when it comes to software (I'm looking at the people who fell for Windows Vista at launch lol)

Because some people can't upgrade their PC every 2 years, just because developers get lazier and lazier(not directly implying BI).

Getting a 64bit OS doesn't require you to upgrade your computer every two years..........................

All this good energy for telling about problems is really almost wasted, if you dont provide some kind of repro. Like "in this mission, once we enter the town of xyz the stutters start. Its on a w7 64 bit rig with 4gb of RAM. look, i made a video..."

-OP

except in the case of games that thrash your hard drive loading files because they cant use more than 3 gigs of ram and you happen to have 8 gigs...

To devs: are you ever going to fix the pop-ups? This issue is in the game since the alpha. Objects, grass, shadows etc should generate smoothly as you get closer to them. It's very annoying and distracting, especially in towns, where there are many houses and it gets worse.

Is the development branch close so that not everyone can access it? Or where do I find the beta key steam asks to opt into the branch O:I

To devs: are you ever going to fix the pop-ups? This issue is in the game since the alpha. Objects, grass, shadows etc should generate smoothly as you get closer to them. It's very annoying and distracting, especially in towns, where there are many houses and it gets worse.

yea i'd love to see this too. this would make low viewdistances less ugly. it would more look like stuff is slowly appearing in the fog.

I have noticed this but when I try to swap to development branch it asks a beta access key. Wonder where I can find that.

You can leave that blank. It's just for non-public builds.

I would also say the performance was noticeable better around the release of Altis. More smooth, it was almost unreal smooth.

All this good energy for telling about problems is really almost wasted, if you dont provide some kind of repro. Like "in this mission, once we enter the town of xyz the stutters start. Its on a w7 64 bit rig with 4gb of RAM. look, i made a video..."

-OP

exactly my thoughts..

No I didn't, some people will continue to use 32bit OS software as long as they can still use what they need until they are forced to update to 64bit OS.

windows XP came out 12 years ago. It's time to move on.

in arma 2 at the blackhawk side gunners, trackir / look was enable. why it is not enabled in arma 3 in the ghosthawk.

you limit the view of an importent station of this chopper, to overwatch the suroundings.

hope that will be enabled in the final version.

the console/chat windows bug is caused by "steam friendly interface" . i didn't know. if it can serve anybody ....

Stream friendly interface...

Maybe BI should have this option renamed to Streamer friendly interface for the people who keep misreading it.

that's what I'm noticing. I was playing a missions, and things got real bad around the end of the mission. I reloaded a save-point, and things seemed to get better

look at you memory and CPU usage at the beginning and at the end when it gets sluggish

windows XP came out 12 years ago. It's time to move on.

No point telling me I've been on Win 7 64bit for several years, just stating that a lot of people still use Win XP because it's still a good OS for a lot of apps.

Is it just me or the sniper scope is horizontally inaccurate at higher distances?

I'm not sure exactly, but this might possibly be wind effects on the bullet. Arma 3 does actually model wind, and its ballistic effects.

I have not noticed if trees or other vegetation are affected by wind in the game, but if you blow up a vehicle, and watch the smoke from the explosion,

then you can see what I'm talking about, as well as get an idea of wind speed and direction.

I also don't know if wind has any effect on flags, as I have really not tested this, but IRL, snipers use vegetation motion, dust, smoke, flags, or pretty much anything else

in their environment light enough to be affected by wind to judge wind speed and direction when they don't have an anemometer handy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an update to a reply I posted to this same question (has not been posted yet, because it's still waiting on moderator approval)

Wind DOES affect vegetation and flags in game. Although, at higher wind speeds, the effect is not as pronounced as it should be, not everyone will

be playing missions with wind speeds over 80 anyway (don't know if this is MPH or km/h, but I'm assuming km/h as everything else in game is metric).

Wind does NOT seem to have an affect on the various bits of debris and insects fluttering around the map. Though, this could just be me.

Edited by Deadfast
Merged posts

is there a memory leak after the 32bit hotfix? my 64bit stutters like fuck

I just noticed this, I cant put on SOS scope on the BLUFOR sniper rifle... moreover, why am I spawned with a sniper rifle that has no scope to begin with?