You can open doors remotely with the Darter UAV and the UGV´s and drive/ fly inside the domes. It is fun but I do not think it makes sense without a remotely operated arm on these Rovers. Tested a few hours ago before the update.

Wow. I'm getting 70 fps in the capital right now. BIS did you have to sell someones soul for that number?

Anyway, My PC is pretty average, and I have most things on standard except for Textures and object which are high. Getting a bit of stuttering every now and then but that happens on Stratis too. But the 1fps problem is gone for sure and considering I had to pretty much alt tab close Arma 3 every time I tried Altis.

I am however experiencing crashes. But the Changelog mentions that.

Edited by AstroMan

Still got issues with altis - all low settings VD - 1km = 5-8fps :/

i7 920 , gtx285 , 4GB RAM , win7 32bit

i will try with -maxmem

-------------------------

Good news it works - thx BIS :)

you need set the -maxmem to fix it

Edited by RobertHammer

Still got issues with altis - all low settings VD - 1km = 5-8fps :/

i7 920 , gtx285 , win7 32bit

did u try to varify data?

You can open doors remotely with the Darter UAV and the UGV´s and drive/ fly inside the domes. It is fun but I do not think it makes sense without a remotely operated arm on these Rovers. Tested a few hours ago before the update.

You can do it while sat in vehicles too, treat it as if it is a remote control garage door as it is a more useful feature left in the game.

I feel for the people getting the frame rate problems! I am running a pretty weak Cpu(intel g860) compared to my Gpu(gtx 670ftw) and my frame rate drops pretty bad if I put the view distance above 2500. To be honest its actually not to bad when I keep it at that, I can play on high and it moves from 27-40 fps. I have my i5 4670k coming on fiday so hopefully I see a bit of a difference to the game!

Opfor now speaks Farsi!! :yay:

Well AI does atleast. Player controlled character still speaks English. WAD or bug?

ofp had the same problem back in the day. your player wouldn't talk in a Russian accent.

hopefully will be fixed soon as we can only use 1 speaker I believe

Opfor now speaks Farsi!! :yay:

Well AI does atleast. Player controlled character still speaks English. WAD or bug?

Unless your character explicitly receives an "identity" in the mission, your voice and face will always be as they are defined in your player profile.

New in A3? In A2 iirc I could load a Russian soldier in the editor and he would speak Russian.

we also still have the 1 speaker available issue.

I really cant wait for British voices

Regarding this:

Hotfix: Virtual memory limit increased for 32 bit OS (more details below)

For us using 64bit and have enough memory is the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set?

If I understand http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx#memory_limits correctly 64bit OS only "reserves" 2GB for 32bit applications.

But if the flag is set we can use 4GB.

I guess it would be an even bigger performance boost then.

/Johan

Yes.....

Where?

Is it far out to sea as I have combed the whole coastline and nothing but Sunken Trawlers, small Fishing Boats, Bhoys, Pipes and Cable Reels.

Regarding this:

For us using 64bit and have enough memory is the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set?

If I understand http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx#memory_limits correctly 64bit OS only "reserves" 2GB for 32bit applications.

But if the flag is set we can use 4GB.

I guess it would be an even bigger performance boost then.

/Johan

Arma3 is supposedly LAA enabled, yes, but I've never seen the memory consumption rise above ~1.5GB. Though I haven't checked since Altis was released.

Hey guys,

we have changed memory limits on 32bit OS to improve Altis performance, as described here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149636-Beta-Development-branch-changelog&p=2481746&viewfull=1#post2481746.

I'll try to explain what is it about in more detail and I'll offer a workaround for the problem.

Description

Processes on 32bit OS are by default limited to 2GB of virtual memory. Arma 3 detects this and sets its internal virtual memory limit accordingly. Before the change this meant 768MB. The number might seem low but it's purpose is to give Arma 3 big enough reserve for the internal memory manager to allocate and deallocate memory dynamically based on the mission and situation. Unfortunatelly this limit was rather low for Altis which resulted in too many allocations/deallocations which completely killed FPS.

We have increased the limit to 1.2GB so the memory manager is able to hold Altis in memory (which fixed the performance issue) but it decreases the reserve. The drawback is that in certain situations where the memory manager cannot (or is not quick enough to) free enough memory the game might crash with an "Out of memory" error. This might be for example problematic with bigger view distance because: bigger view distance -> more objects -> more memory.

The internal virtual memory limit can be overriden with the -maxmem parameter but note that it only takes 3/4 of the number for the virtual memory:

Example:

arma3.exe -maxmem=1600 (sets virtual memory limit to 1.2GB)

So you can experiment with the number and see what works best for you but the truth is that with the 2GB system limit there is not much room to work with.

Workaround

A workaround for this problem is to tell windows to change the 2GB memory limit to 3GB. Arma 3 will detect this and change internal limits automatically so there's no need to override with -maxmem parameter. With this workaround you shouldn't have any problems with performance or stability.

The system limit has to be changed manually but the process is fairly simple. Described for example here: http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2009/04/enabling-3gb-switch-on-windows-vista.html.

Edited by dazhbog

Does this affect 64bit systems too? as far as I know it also depends on the game if it's a 32bit or 64bit exe but I am not sure about that.

So can I set the Maxmem on my 64bit windows 7 to let's say, 8gb? (I've got 16gb) and will it bring any perfomance boost?

Does this affect 64bit systems too? as far as I know it also depends on the game if it's a 32bit or 64bit exe but I am not sure about that.

So can I set the Maxmem on my 64bit windows 7 to let's say, 8gb? (I've got 16gb) and will it bring any perfomance boost?

The maximum for 32bit LAA apps on 64bit systems is 4GB.

I believe under 64bit Windows if you have installed Steam (and thus Arma) under the Program Files (x86) - which is used for 32bit apps - the Windows will apply the 2GB virtual address space limit automatically, even on 64bit OS. This is mostly done for backwards compatibility. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Arma3 is supposedly LAA enabled, yes, but I've never seen the memory consumption rise above ~1.5GB. Though I haven't checked since Altis was released.

After flying around with helicopter in 4x speed 12Km/3Km/200m settings and most of the stuff in ultra Task Manager says 2 322 996 K. It could rise even some more if I fly around but probably not much over 2GB but it goes over 1,5 GB in Altis

Also I see much less freezes now with 12Km view distance so something has been done right :cool:

Edited by St. Jimmy
Flew some more in the camera mode and edited the RAM usage.

Hey guys,

we have changed memory limits on 32bit OS to improve Altis performance

Hello Dazhbog, Is the largest value that -maxmem allows still 2047? Would it be possible to raise this limit or is that not possible?

Edit: as in, could it go up to 4000 and still be within the limits imposed by being LAA?

Edited by Furret

The maximum for 32bit LAA apps on 64bit systems is 4GB.
I believe under 64bit Windows if you have installed Steam (and thus Arma) under the Program Files (x86) - which is used for 32bit apps - the Windows will apply the 2GB virtual address space limit automatically, even on 64bit OS. This is mostly done for backwards compatibility. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

okay thank you guys, I will just test a bit around with it then :)

edit: whoaaaa 35fps with 12km view distance and all on ultra, would have never imagined that before!