And I forgot to mention in reply to Dwarden's comment a few pages back, check my specs mate. GTX 780 = I run Ultra mostly everything except object and terrain lol

@DaRk,

Was the photos taken at the same time in game buddy?

Yes. 19:15 hours on the default date (July 6th 2035 I believe.)

The discrepancy in lighting is due to the fact that with the new cloud shading, what you see is 30% overcast coverage. Where-as with the old technique photo I had to up the cloud coverage to 45% to match the cloud consistency. By upping the cloud overcast this has an impact on sun and moon diffuse lighting. It makes the world appear darker. But they are otherwise equal.

My point is, to anyone who has paid attention to the development of the clouds since this game hit Alpha, it's obvious that there were two stages of Cloud changes, the original that lasted for months, and the new technique which had an extremely short lifetime and was reverted 2 days ago. This is undeniable and really disappointing. I believe I've made my proof quite clear and am now directing my attention towards the other side of this discussion:

What happened? Why the revert? I seriously hope it was only a temporary revert while work is done to fix the sunrise bug with the new technique. I have never seen such beautiful cloud shading in a videogame with 24 hour day-night cycles as I have these new clouds. I can't see why all that work for such a massive improvement would just be dumped in the garbage without even so much as a dev branch changelog mention... quite depressing.

Edited by DaRkL3AD3R

BI, can we do without the "CSAT technicians have invested some time in enhancing horizontal banking indicators in HMDs of their helos" or "CSAT engineers have figured out how to pimp helicopter doors" or the "'Trained' CSAT to enter the Kamysh from the side of the vehicle", etc.... It was funny at first but it's getting old now. I want to know what you fixed not try to figure out what you did through some "clever" storyline. Its a development branch update so we know what has changed.

Here's a good example from today's update: "Fixed cost of .45 ACP ammo compared to 9mm". Is the cost that you are referring to some imaginary in-game reference to money or is it a cost referring to something that costs the system? Like fps or some value that determines how many magazines someon can carry depending on what else he is carrying. Like a weight cost?

We can save the pretend for when we actually play the game. OR maybe we should start doing that too when we tell you what's not working in the game.

How about this.."My OPFOR recon guys decided to where blue vest under their Kevlar today. It looks like an NOHQ texture but who is to argue with new fashion statements." or "my kamysh drivers are going on strike. They have all refused to drive out of water and on to the land. They prefer to stop right at the point the touch ground."

That's just my opinion. thanks

BI, can we do without the "CSAT technicians have invested some time in enhancing horizontal banking indicators in HMDs of their helos" or "CSAT engineers have figured out how to pimp helicopter doors" or the "'Trained' CSAT to enter the Kamysh from the side of the vehicle", etc.... It was funny at first but it's getting old now. I want to know what you fixed not try to figure out what you did through some "clever" storyline. Its a development branch update so we know what has changed.

Here's a good example from today's update: "Fixed cost of .45 ACP ammo compared to 9mm". Is the cost that you are referring to some imaginary in-game reference to money or is it a cost referring to something that costs the system? Like fps or some value that determines how many magazines someon can carry depending on what else he is carrying. Like a weight cost?

We can save the pretend for when we actually play the game. OR maybe we should start doing that too when we tell you what's not working in the game.

How about this.."My OPFOR recon guys decided to where blue vest under their Kevlar today. It looks like an NOHQ texture but who is to argue with new fashion statements." or "my kamysh drivers are going on strike. They have all refused to drive out of water and on to the land. They prefer to stop right at the point the touch ground."

That's just my opinion. thanks

I really like the CSAT technicians/engineers did [whatever they did]. It makes reading the updates more fun and likely makes posting these updates more enjoyable for them. I can understand the development branch just fine.

People working hard, like the BI team, need to have fun along the way. But we also need fairly precise change descriptions, so perhaps state the expected in-game effect as well (in a parentheses or whatever)

BI, can we do without the "CSAT technicians have invested some time in enhancing horizontal banking indicators in HMDs of their helos" or "CSAT engineers have figured out how to pimp helicopter doors" or the "'Trained' CSAT to enter the Kamysh from the side of the vehicle", etc.... It was funny at first but it's getting old now.

I was just thinking the opposite while reading through the changelog.

Please keep the changelog like it is now!

Yay!

I thoroughly enjoy the silly changelogs. Please keep doing them.

With majority here - keep them changelogs coming! It's a nice dose of optimism to counter the all too seemingly common virus that is "negativity"

The wannabe-funny notes are mostly my fault as I tend to keep them for some smile at least of anyone reading our internal commit logs (which is actually mostly me). I will take more care to make them clear to everyone, but no promises :icon_twisted:

The wannabe-funny notes are mostly my fault as I tend to keep them for some smile at least of anyone reading our internal commit logs (which is actually mostly me). I will take more care to make them clear to everyone, but no promises :icon_twisted:

Please keep up the funny notes!

BI, can we do without the "CSAT technicians have invested some time in enhancing horizontal banking indicators in HMDs of their helos" or "CSAT engineers have figured out how to pimp helicopter doors" or the "'Trained' CSAT to enter the Kamysh from the side of the vehicle", etc.... It was funny at first but it's getting old now.

If he were my hard charging, no nonsense tax attorney preparing my final portfolio I might think it a bit..erhm..odd. But this is a game man -have a little fun!

Please keep up the funny notes!

Agree;)

cheers Pettka, love the way the change logs are being done and brings a little smile when I see those technicians at work :D the extra detail helps testing the precise changes.

Keep up the great work guys. Looking forward to many more years with arma.

Wow, really? I'm trying to have legitimate discussion on a major visual change to the game in the dev branch, and it gets buried by discussing silly lines in changelogs? Really?

Pettka any response on the changed clouds? They were never mentioned in the dev branch changelog neither when implemented nor removed.

I noticed that after resuming SP mission displayEventHandlers may disapear. E.g. when created with code (SPAWN is unneeded but I have it there):

[] SPAWN {
private ["_keydown"];
waituntil {!(IsNull (findDisplay 46))};
_keyDown = (findDisplay 46) displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown", "if (_this select 2 && _this select 1 == 0x2E) then {_nul = [] execVM ""ConstructionDialog.sqf"";};"];
};

When saving and loading without leaving the mission displayEventHandler-stays.

As other small issue, created soundsource with local hander (?) cant be deleted if player dies and load savegame before the sound is meant to be deleted. Timeline 1. Soundsource is created (_soundSource = createSoundSource ["Sound_Alarm", getposATL (_this select 0), [], 0];) 2. Player saves 3. Player dies. 4. Loads. 5. Sound isnt deleted anymore when the script reaches deletevehicle _soundSource; in the same script where it was created.

Wow, really? I'm trying to have legitimate discussion on a major visual change to the game in the dev branch, and it gets buried by discussing silly lines in changelogs? Really?

Pettka any response on the changed clouds? They were never mentioned in the dev branch changelog neither when implemented nor removed.

There is some work on them, Pavel Guglava has done some changes recently, but I don't know the status. They may be changed and improved, but again, no promises :icon_twisted:

Just noticed that we can't put missiles anywhere other than in the backpack and there are some other little changes in the gear system. Good move so far.

Yes, there were some improvements on the clouds, but, it was reverted to previous status because in certain situations (overcast + time of day) they were pitch black.

Once this is fixed, I'm sure Pavel Guglava will share the results.

I just tried the latest dev build, and found out that this darn red circle on the map is still in. Please, PLEASE, for the love of God, remove this thing, at least make it optional OR tie its presence to the availability of a GPS. I recently made a mission in Arma 2 where one of the elements is to find out where you are, such a mission would be completely useless in Arma 3 because the red circle gives it away. So here goes again, please remove the circle or make it optional. Your own DayZ would be jeopardized by it, it makes GPS totally useless, and it just simply makes all missions that rely on orientation of the player by other means strictly impossible.

This is the appropriate ticket.

I just tried the latest dev build, and found out that this darn red circle on the map is still in. Please, PLEASE, for the love of God, remove this thing, at least make it optional OR tie its presence to the availability of a GPS. I recently made a mission in Arma 2 where one of the elements is to find out where you are, such a mission would be completely useless in Arma 3 because the red circle gives it away. So here goes again, please remove the circle or make it optional. Your own DayZ would be jeopardized by it, it makes GPS totally useless, and it just simply makes all missions that rely on orientation of the player by other means strictly impossible.

This is the appropriate ticket.

+1

At least make its presence depending on the difficulty you are playing (recruit), so that difficulties like veteran and expert can continue using the old "hardcore" way of orientating.

or add the option to enable/disable this circle... because on ALTIS it will be the first time you can truly get lost! :)

#bigbloodyisland!