Doesn't VBS use the same engine?

Anyone ever wondered ARMA 3 would be like if they started from scratch on HAVOK or Cryengine or any other modern engine?

i really dont think they would do this lol

even though.....it would be crazy, immense, awesome...

Havok is just a physics engine ..no? And neither Cryengine or any other I can think of has successfully shown it can pull off huge scale, 1000 entity+ non-player centric combat with AI as far as I know. All engines have limitations and although BI's has faults, it also has many strengths as you can tell by the lack of competition.

Has anyone ever tried? I've never really seen any other milsim games except OFP and ARMA, there is ground branch in development and red orchestra. I think arma is a big competitor but I think the market it's in doesn't really have many people interested in making games for it anyways.

hi guys,

will there be any British speakers? like where you choose your profile speaker i.e. adam, dan, etc...

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

Cryengine made a demo which could have been something... :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q-meS9om9I

now thats the NVision we want!!!!

Only more poly's. Thats all. Else is cartoon parody for ArmA.

agree, even when they make trailers with arma engine it looks muuuuch superior than DSTS US Army - Cryengine III

That's cry engine 3? wtf.

I mean, obviously having a nice engine doesn't make your game good. But I think having an old engine will always hurt your game.

CryEngine is 12 years old (since it was first released to the public). And after 12 years it can do pretty shaders but is completely incapable of doing open areas, ballistics and any kind of AI but the most primitive of bots.

RV is 12 years old too (same as above). And after 12 years it cannot do pretty shaders but it can do open areas, ballistics and AI that despite many of its unfortunate flaws is still way superior to anything other open world shooters have.

I have used the new layout tab and moved the gps box under the weapon info box now when i go to open it in game i get a script error and it doesn't open?

CryEngine is 12 years old (since it was first released to the public). And after 12 years it can do pretty shaders but is completely incapable of doing open areas, ballistics and any kind of AI but the most primitive of bots.

RV is 12 years old too (same as above). And after 12 years it cannot do pretty shaders but it can do open areas, ballistics and AI that despite many of its unfortunate flaws is still way superior to anything other open world shooters have.

pretty shaders?

Deferred shading/lighting is the last major tech upgrade needed for RV, but no way I would swap RV for CryEngine 3.

What the hell is this thing in the top right and how do i get rid of it? it popped up mid game and button presses cause text to enter the box and the green arrow says "execute the string"

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156043486

edit: what the fuck? it doesn't show up in the screenshot. it's some kinda little text box in the top left corner

it only seems to happen in arma. it doesnt pop up outside of it.

edit: fixed it, it was some hotkey for windows japanese IME that made it pop up. æ„šã‹ãªã‚³ãƒ³ãƒ”ュータ

Edited by ghostnineone

Aren't we supposed to see nametags on players in A3? I just played a co-op online and it was impossible to know who was who without them. Thankfully the mission didn't require much co-ordination, as if someone had said "come with me" or "go with x" I wouldn't have had a clue where they were!

Aren't we supposed to see nametags on players in A3? I just played a co-op online and it was impossible to know who was who without them. Thankfully the mission didn't require much co-ordination, as if someone had said "come with me" or "go with x" I wouldn't have had a clue where they were!

It's a difficulty setting "show friendly tags"

It's a difficulty setting "show friendly tags"

Ah, thanks. I guess the server admin had that disabled (but left third-person on!)

neurofunker as usual, ripping words he finds wrong out of context and provoking a conflict, legendary troll, oh yeah, throw dat infraction on me

The Vector/Vermin in arma 3 lacks the ability to mount a flashlight, due to the lack of side rails, but the kriss vector has a flashlight adapter located right above the barrel as demonstrated in the image:

http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/news2/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/image164.png

despite the "flashlight area" being modeled in-game, there is no function. the flashlight should be able to be "attached" into this area for use

Edited by C0mbustableL3m0nz

Anyone having issues with Combined Ops showcase recently? Whenever I die no respawn option comes up, escape to menu doesn't work, I'm just stuck watching the dead body. Have to close arma3 in task manager.

Anyone having issues with Combined Ops showcase recently? Whenever I die no respawn option comes up, escape to menu doesn't work, I'm just stuck watching the dead body. Have to close arma3 in task manager.

Had this earlier today, had to ctrl alt delete to get out of the game. Strangely I could still switch from first to third person and the ai were still shooting lumps out of each other..

Had this earlier today, had to ctrl alt delete to get out of the game. Strangely I could still switch from first to third person and the ai were still shooting lumps out of each other..

A guy a few posts back said this was due to the tonics awesome ammobox script. I cannot confirm but it seems starting point

Cryengine made a demo and this is what happened... :)

It's a matter of time until big names will approach ArmA style, meaning large cached maps and realism. In the last years all "inspired" from each other so all the shooters start looking more or less similar. They will run out of ideas and the hardware allows more and more...obviously the features will converge.

Atm, dumping flares is only available is "bursts", is it only me?, is there a way to change is to "single" or "auto" like in OA?