the so called spotters don't spot anything. they just stand there and do nothing, until the enemy fires upon them or gets close enough. sniper should engage enemy from far

those are some good points. it always bothered me that i had to do a lot of stuff to make enemies behave like snipers. i found one promising thing though. there's a spotter function inside the game that makes a unit report target distances to you. didn't test it yet but maybe they are working on an actual spotter.

WiVawm2.jpg

TdewoBR.jpg

I just love Project Reality scopes.I have always said that the scopes in Arma seem to large and I get no feel of looking thru a scope.You can see in above comparison the size of viewable area is vastly different.I like how you can see the whole scope in the scene for example the little CQB nub at top.And definitely blur the outside even further.

i found one promising thing though. there's a spotter function inside the game that makes a unit report target distances to you. didn't test it yet but maybe they are working on an actual spotter.

is that module or

Speaking about the new scope, is anyone else not seeing it at all as well? The units spawn without it, gear selection scripts dont recognize it and adding it manually also doesn't work. I've successfully verified the files and switched between stable and dev multiple times. :(

Too bad. It sounds like the perfect waypoint for a lazy soldier to wander around a room or house :p

Lol! I tried, but they're just staying at the same place, not moving but it works on heli.

---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

Speaking about the new scope, is anyone else not seeing it at all as well? The units spawn without it, gear selection scripts dont recognize it and adding it manually also doesn't work. I've successfully verified the files and switched between stable and dev multiple times. :(

I think you need to disable any other weapon mods. Works for me :o otherwise I'm not sure.

I think you need to disable any other weapon mods. Works for me :o otherwise I'm not sure.

Now it indeed works, thanks a lot! That's strange... Which weapon pack could produce such problems with vanilla content?

those are some good points. it always bothered me that i had to do a lot of stuff to make enemies behave like snipers. i found one promising thing though. there's a spotter function inside the game that makes a unit report target distances to you. didn't test it yet but maybe they are working on an actual spotter.

Must be an extension of what was used in one of the single missions of BAF, which was really nice.

Now it indeed works, thanks a lot! That's strange... Which weapon pack could produce such problems with vanilla content?

I can say that they work with R3F, M107, KSG12 and Flummi's USP. That's the only weapon mods I have installed and active currently.

is that module or
Must be an extension of what was used in one of the single missions of BAF, which was really nice.

as i said. it's a function. i just tested it. you can use it like this.

[sniper, spotter] spawn BIS_fnc_spotter;

sniper and spotter are unit names so you can name your spotter dude1 and use it like this [player, dude1] spawn BIS_fnc_spotter;

it works best if you put it in a radio trigger since he will report targets once to you once this code is executed. at least that's how it feels like. i'm not sure if he will report the unit you are looking at. i have to test it more. just tested how to use it for now.

so far he just throws numbers at you ;)

as i said. it's a function. i just tested it. you can use it like this.

sniper and spotter are unit names so you can name your spotter dude1 and use it like this [player, dude1] spawn BIS_fnc_spotter;

it works best if you put it in a radio trigger since he will report targets once to you once this code is executed. at least that's how it feels like. i'm not sure if he will report the unit you are looking at. i have to test it more. just tested how to use it for now.

so far he just throws numbers at you ;)

It should be what you are aiming at, though I remember it bugging out a lot in ArmA 2 OA.

I can say that they work with R3F, M107, KSG12 and Flummi's USP. That's the only weapon mods I have installed and active currently.

Insanatrix is right, I tried those weapon and it works fine with the new sniper. I'm not sure which weapon mod mess up the vanilla content, I think it was somekind of russian model mods that include some weapon? can't tell. >_<

Here is the issue that I got with these new sniper scopes and Broccoli trees. Can't see that bad drops with other scopes. Also watch closely when I'm prone because I get even worse fps then and that's weird.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBnXEdJEZRM

Related to this feedback http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=3848 but I'm not sure should I make a new one because of prone position fps drop.

St.Jimmy.... in your vid you get an average of 40 FPS.. I have been stuck at 20fps since the game was released... I know that your posting about the trees and the lag.. but Seriously... WOW.... Your recording video and still getting an average of 45ps... AND your fps almost never drops below 30.(maybe once or twice).. Outside of that ONE tiny spot of the tree where your frames drop you get REALLY good FPS... i actually have real fps issues, but I can honestly say that those trees dont affect my fps in either direction... I just get shitty fps. period..

Edited by Lordprimate

As of dev build 0.59.105634 here are the pertinent classnames:

UNITS:

b_sniper_f       // BLUFOR
b_spotter_f      // BLUFOR
o_sniper_f       // OPFOR
o_spotter_f      // OPFOR

WEAPONS:

srifle_LRR_f     // "M320" LRR in .408
srifle_LRR_SOS_f // LRR with the new long-range optic
srifle_GM6_f     // GM6 Lynx in 12.7 mm
srifle_GM6_SOS_f // GM6 with the new long-range optic
rangefinder      // Rangefinder

MAGAZINES:

7Rnd_408_Mag     // LRR seven-round magazine
5Rnd_127x108_Mag // GM6 five-round magazine

AMMO:

B_408_Ball       // .408 ball for LRR
B_127x108_APDS   // 12.7 mm APDS for GM6

OPTIC:

optic_SOS        // "Sniper Optical Sights" scope with a claimed 10x-85x magnification

UNIFORM:

u_b_ghilliesuit  // Ghillie Suit

No improvement yet in FPS but I really hope that this will come some day.

PS

Please fix the runway with the missing parts

Edited by Nikiforos

Hi. Is this intentional? http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=8606

If not, it's very unfortunate it got into stable branch because it's used quite frequently I guess. If yes, it should be reverted because it's very confusing IMO. By reverted I don't mean removed but moved into standard (eg. non-tactical) pace where it makes more sense IMO. What do you think?

It was noticed back on dev branch but to quote DnA, "This and several other things unfortunately slipped in." I've since added a Note to that ticket where I've attempted to describe my experience when reproducing the issue on dev build.

Unlike what ArgusNastyCrab described however, my finding was that instead of "actually increases your running speed", it instead moves the soldier into running pace; my testing found that the movement speed in this state (manually toggled combat pace, then tried to aim down the sights) is identical to that of the default run/jog and the only noticeable difference is the animation of the weapon "bobbing" at the bottom of the screen.

I don't seem to be able to get the new sniper rifle with a scope? Even with the scoped version added via init, it's completely void of accessories and won't accept any either.

Removed all my addons and it seems to work now.

Edited by MordeaniisChaos

I don't seem to be able to get the new sniper rifle with a scope? Even with the scoped version added via init, it's completely void of accessories and won't accept any either.

Do you have any mods installed that add new weapons?

This problem can apparently be caused by certain mods that overwrite weapon base classes.

http://i.imgur.com/WiVawm2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TdewoBR.jpg

I just love Project Reality scopes.I have always said that the scopes in Arma seem to large and I get no feel of looking thru a scope.You can see in above comparison the size of viewable area is vastly different.I like how you can see the whole scope in the scene for example the little CQB nub at top.And definitely blur the outside even further.

did you look over any score in real life?

You probably don't know that PR:BF2 uses RTT scopes for everything

To be honest it is fine as it is , no need to over blur screen

To be honest it is fine as it is , no need to over blur screen

Fully agree :)

Anyone getting sounds from the sniper rifles after the new patch? I'm still only getting the sounds of the action not the shot. Cheers

Anyone getting sounds from the sniper rifles after the new patch? I'm still only getting the sounds of the action not the shot. Cheers

I have sounds now, from the gunfire that is.

The sound is really cool, but I'm unable to hear it at 500 meters distance..

quite good sounds are this. But yeah, can be heard at quite short distances only. Ive made a quick test mission. 1 spotter with 2 snipers each, at 1.7km distance. Takes a while, until my team spotter, locates enemy sniper team, and they end up, geting out of ammo, without hitting anyone. Set the skills to the maximum, and sergant rank each.