Video showing off the tracer effects. It also seems like the night vision has a bit better quality, it's not as bright and over gain. Also think the chopper pilot got a bit overzealous at the end :biggrin_o:

EXE rev. 05348

Since the beginning of the game we can rebound on the water with KA-60 and KA-60 black, i test again this fact and with 248 km/h i can rebound on water without damage : ) and lost only 90 km/h... and fly and rebound again and don't lost speed... If i want really to kill my chopper i must to take a contact with my upper or behind hélix.

And the news : Helicopters engines now are damaged correctly upon contact with water

Dev's could you explain the utility of fact if it's hard to killed a chopper with rebounds on water...

Good luck to solved this little problem that i think noob players can use to do no died^^

Tracers look nice but the heavy tracer rounds should light up the terrain.

Good point. Did not notice hehe.

Just updated to the latest dev version and running on the fields feels like slow motion Forest Gump footrace. Not sure what they changed, I guess animation speed or something but it looks weird.

New tracers are GORGEOUS! Wonder what other changes were made.

I'd like to see this as well but how pronounced should the effect really be? If tracers are flying over the terrain 50m above ground, should it really light the area up like a flare? I don't believe so. I've seen some night footage of combat operations in Afghanistan and Iraq and almost every time the tracers flew near the ground, there was no visible light on the area. Now of course you could attribute this to poor camera recording quality but I think it really doesn't need to happen to be totally realistic. Bullets fly at hundreds of meters per second velocity. Any lighting on the ground would be for a blink of an eye. Is it really worth the toll it most certainly will take on performance for what at the end of the day is less than a few frames worth of dynamic lighting?

I've been making a video mostly featuring tracers over the last week and I had to set light conditions just right for what I wanted, looks like a lot work to redo again as they are much better now, crap!

They actually do light up the ground, but they have to be really really close. Tracer rounds use the same chemicals as a flare, just in smaller quantities.

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HMMWV_Tracer_Fire.JPEG I'm guessing that was taken with a slow shutter speed, hence the ghosting effect. That or it was taken inside the Matrix and that soldier is an agent.

Great to have my silencer sounds back!!

Tracers are looking pretty sexy as is night in general - first thing I do now in every mission I play is unassign/unequip NVG's for all -don't care if that's unrealistic, black is sexier than green :p

Great to have my silencer sounds back!!

Tracers are looking pretty sexy as is night in general - first thing I do now in every mission I play is unassign/unequip NVG's for all -don't care if that's unrealistic, black is sexier than green :p

If there's a full moon you can actually see pretty well in game.

i noticed an animation glitch or whatever it's called, when you're prone and moving, the left hand is like off the gun at the beginning of the animation cycle

i also see ricochet now, not sure is it's been there before, bullets bounce off the ground it's beautifull, and that sound

and my performance seems to be improved, thanks

Edited by gpha5e

Yep noticed the same prone animation bug. Try going prone and moving backwards. You will see your hands flick up above the weapon and then come back to crawl backwards.

So I notecied that MX rifles now have a "background" sound, like a clicking or something. Mechanical parts?

Also, AI engaging targets about 1km away with small arms. Probably not because of this patch, just pointing out.

Something kind of cool I just noticed. I think higher caliber rounds are penetrating through units. I was using the Barrett in the R3F weapons pack and shot an Opfor in the head and saw a impact cloud behind him. Never seen it happen before.

*edit* yep just tested it by lining up 4 units in a row and the Barrett killed 3/4.

Edited by Insanatrix

So I notecied that MX rifles now have a "background" sound, like a clicking or something. Mechanical parts?

Also, AI engaging targets about 1km away with small arms. Probably not because of this patch, just pointing out.

Yeah those are indeed mechanical sounds from the spring, reciever etc and have been in for quite some time now. The files have been there since the release but an older patch included them. They sound very nice, especially with silenced guns!

Something kind of cool I just noticed. I think higher caliber rounds are penetrating through units. I was using the Barrett in the R3F weapons pack and shot an Opfor in the head and saw a impact cloud behind him. Never seen it happen before.

To top that, I saw a round penetrating a soldiers leg, bouncing down to the ground and ricocheting up again, hitting a second soldier in the chest :cool: Felt like Matrix man!

Yeah those are indeed mechanical sounds from the spring, reciever etc and have been in for quite some time now. The files have been there since the release but an older patch included them. They sound very nice, especially with silenced guns!

To top that, I saw a round penetrating a soldiers leg, bouncing down to the ground and ricocheting up again, hitting a second soldier in the chest :cool: Felt like Matrix man!

Hehe, these are the niche details and factors that just make ArmA so addictive. Also, to top that, I was testing this out some more and somehow managed to hit all 4 soldiers through the neck but only the first and last unit went down. I wonder if this is the precursor for a working body armor system?

Was aware that it was possible now but didn't noticed it earlier. Nice!

try the fix on page 72

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Edit:

Tried it with a 128MB Ram-Disk and it stayed the same.

:)

Edited by TONSCHUH

Edit:

Also try install the game on your SSD if thats possible for you, it made a world of difference when i went from HDD to SSD back in ArmA 2.

Some very visible things:

- No clouds at all at low "overcast" values (30% or even more);

- footsteps, gear and ambient sounds still very low volume or messed;

- run animation speed too low, its a floating sensation;

- the objects seems to be too "colorful" at night time, they should be more desaturated, there is a saying: "at night all cats are black"...there is a blue light everywhere, creepier is nicer.

Also reload sounds are very quiet still - they should be "loud" as before the wss conversion

Also try install the game on your SSD if thats possible for you, it made a world of difference when i went from HDD to SSD back in ArmA 2.

Yeah, tried Steam-Mover, but didn't fix this issue.

Edit:

You did use the -profiles command in the startup to redirect your profile right ? Otherwise just creating a ramdisk would do jack. :)

i think todays update makes too much difference.. i spent all day downloading it! :(

@BIS devs: Are you going to fix the issues with backpacks in MP (this includes breaking down mortars and actually being able to grab the bags).