The kind of "LOD flicker" i have right now has not been here for ages on my system.

Like i said, in previous build i didn't have this issue.

Surely there has always been noticable LOD switching but not as severe as what i'm experiencing now!

And no, i'm not talking about bushes, grass popping up(which i've barely noticed in newer dev builds) i'm talking about LOD switching back and forth so the objects appear flickering.

Even if the LOD switching is currently worse, that would indicate that they are working on it, which is a good sign. Such a complex system won't just be magically fixed in a dev build - more likely it will take some experimentation and evolve over time.

I would be more worried if they just left the LOD system as it is.

NVIDIA is revealing the GTX 780/770/760 in a couple of days.. All I can say is - bad timing :P
Whereas I bought an ASUS GTX 660 Ti 2GB with the DirectCU II cooler back in mid-to-later-January, I'm still happy with it even if I'm not pushing it as hard as it could go and it hasn't generally had issues with Arma 3 that I couldn't find myself chalking up to something else about Arma 3 (i.e. using dev build, bad MP connectivity situation, low-performance server, CTD back when others were having CTD as well) so I see myself passing on the 700-series for now.

Even if the LOD switching is currently worse, that would indicate that they are working on it, which is a good sign. Such a complex system won't just be magically fixed in a dev build - more likely it will take some experimentation and evolve over time.

I would be more worried if they just left the LOD system as it is.

I'm fully aware this is a dev build and things goes up and down and i'm fine with that, i'm simply pointing out that whatever they changed since previous dev build it affected LOD switching.

It's not like i've made a ticket about as i don't find it necessary at this point.

I'm fully aware this is a dev build and things goes up and down and i'm fine with that, i'm simply pointing out that whatever they changed since previous dev build it affected LOD switching.

It's not like i've made a ticket about as i don't find it necessary at this point.

I'm not saying you're wrong to point it out, just that it might be a sign of good things to come. :)

However, I'm not entirely sure there has been a change. At least on the ground, the LOD system seems the same to me (i.e. still completely atrocious). Haven't tried flying around yet though, and I also generally run with object details on standard for performance reasons.

However, I'm not entirely sure there has been a change. At least on the ground, the LOD system seems the same to me (i.e. still completely atrocious). Haven't tried flying around yet though, and I also generally run with object details on standard for performance reasons.

I have no LOD problems on ground, only when flying and it's quite bad.

NVIDIA is revealing the GTX 780/770/760 in a couple of days.. All I can say is - bad timing :P

I was expecting new cards to come soon, but before the prices come down to fit my budjet it takes probably a year anyway. Happy with the GTX670. But end of offtopic.

Would be btw cool if the camo-nets would have an optional PhysX effects (for wind). That combined with muddy ground effect during rain and nothing could beat that. ;)

How is performance with the latest Dev build?

very good for me

Today's update EXE revision went from 05455 to 05348. As if reverted?

indeed my arma3 exe also downgraded

one hour ago it was: 0.59.105.455

now it became: 0.58.105.348

why the downgrade? :)

The actual and the last few Dev-Builds run choppy when playing the Showcases. It doesn't matter if I run it with a Single-GTX680-SOC-2GB @1920x1080 or in SLI and it doesn't matter if I use the lowest or highest Quality-Settings. Turning around etc. is not smooth, not even with 60fps. CPU is a 3770k @4400MHz and I use 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill @2133MHz. If use an Intel 520S 240GB SATA-3 SSD for Windows-8-Pro-WMC-x64 and a Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SATA-3 HDD for the Game(s).

:confused:

Edited by TONSCHUH

Added: Stealth protocol + fixed various protocol bugs <- what does this mean? they fixed the ai?

The actual and the last few Dev-Builds run choppy when playing the Showcases. It doesn't matter if I run it with a Single-GTX680-SOC-2GB @1920x1080 or in SLI and it doesn't matter if I use the lowest or highest Quality-Settings. Turning around etc. is not smooth, not even with 60fps. CPU is a 3770k @4400MHz and I use 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill @2133MHz. If use an Intel 520S 240GB SATA-3 SSD for Windows-8-Pro-WMC-x64 and a Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SATA-3 HDD for the Game(s).

:confused:

try the fix on page 72

That's really creepy.

Edited by Danil-ch
  • Like 1

It's from different branch, see Development Branch Changelog for details :icon_twisted:

what do you mean different branch?))) anyway, keep it going guys! can't wait for bazillion changes you said about :bounce3: hope there are some performance improvements

EDIT: nvm, i see it's 58 now, lol silly me

That's really creepy.

Hahahaha that creepy voice together with them dudes moveing simultaniously really got me pissing my pants :D

Did the terrain (rocks etc) started casting shadows in the latest DEV build or was this also available before? (But why the ugly stencil shadows? I mean not the new soft shadow version).

Edited by simast

Tracers look nice at night now :). Especially with PP.

Edit: OMG WE'VE GOT NEW UNITS! Look into blue side in editor!.... ;]

Edited by Byku

Tracers look nice at night now :). Especially with PP.

Tracers are spot on! They look fantastic with, and without NVG's!

Not so fantastic however, is the ATOC.

While I usually never play with it, I tested it a few days ago and it does really add to the trees from further away and also seems to make some LOD problems better.

Up close, it looks really strange. The AA effect looks very grainy in the trees.

Especially with this kind of tree, ATOC causes some very noticeable, ugly effects.

7vKJ5x0l.jpg

I don't think the transparency up close should be kept as it's neither realistic nor looking good.

Gc9bAOOl.jpg

If you click on the image, you can see that the effect is very grainy/pixelated. This particular problems seems to have gotten worse lately. It is very irritating when you're close to trees but also when you are looking at their profile from a bit further away, as you see it with the shilouttes of the bushes in the background.

If you click on the image, you can see that the effect is very grainy/pixelated. This particular problems seems to have gotten worse lately. It is very irritating when you're close to trees but also when you are looking at their profile from a bit further away, as you see it with the shilouttes of the bushes in the background.

This has long been a problem with ATOC. In ArmA2 for pragmatism's sake I disable it for grass & bushes but enable it for trees, the logic being that I'm more likely to be close to grass & bushes than treetops :)

That's really creepy.

So stealth mode makes you talk like solid snake, awesome!

They need to make the voice actor talk silently instead of trying to shout silently which makes him sound like he got cancer Generation Kill colonel style. Although to me it's not an issue. I like the new stealth protocol sound overall.

Also stealth jayholders are lacking.