From the dev news thread, in case anyone missed it (the existing post was edited)

01-05-2013 and 02-05-2013 were already announced to not see updates, but we are also unable to publish Friday (03-05-2013) and Monday (06-05-2013). Hopefully we can resume (including the audio changes) on Tuesday.
Edited by Bigpickle

Basically we were needing to repackage all sound content and use new compression in the pipeline. This took a little longer than expected, but we now have it in place for tomorrow's update. We could not release a new EXE with this change, but not the new data. There may very well be broken / missing sounds initially, but our audio team will explain why this all is beneficial to the game and modders :)

and I already mentioned in my previous answers we looking into 'solutions'

Thanks for the response Dwarden. Thinking about it further it probably makes sense to fully remove these commands for now in the Alpha. I keep forgetting we are in Alpha stage here since so far things are so great!!!

I think my solution still does have a bit of merit though since by default these commands would not be available. Admins with the knowledge and likely keeping their servers locked would be able to allow them. But then again, that wouldn't stop a hacker from putting up a server and opening things up, letting people connect and screwing their installations. So, in that case it probably makes sense to remove fully.

Really appreciate the updates, Dwarden and DnA, cheers!

I posted this a couple pages ago, but everyone only seems to care about the cheating issue. But can someone confirm this for me so I can make sure the dev build was the issue. Every single green "cargo house" has been locked down. You can't get in or out. There is no option to open doors and every tower has it's windows shut too. Only allowing a slit for guards to look through making them impossible as guard towers or bukers.

This happened after my developers build updated. So can we stop arguing about cheating and see if this is the dev or someones addon that broke it. I would appreciate it thanks

is Sound Hardware Acceleration already in planning?

i know since vista we have no directx sound but we can use openal

arma1 used already openal

no, since A2 we use Xaudio2, hw audio and OpenAl was dropped due to very bad driver support and issues with API ... (and yes I do own X-fi, but certain IHV totally messed the driver and openal support)

First of all, in the dev patch, ifrit gunner screen is messed up ;). Those new sounds are interesting, any other news? Got about two messages in the main menu about some stuff missing.

Edit: .... ifrit gunner screen seems to be working now... strange....

Edited by Byku

Why not use EFX from OpenAL? It has totally software emulated (no need for any drivers) EAX 1 and 2 on any soundcard that doesn't even have basic EAX support (like mine... yet I have full EAX through OpenAL EFX emulation in Thief 1/2, SS2 after new patches) - which should be more than enough for environmental reverb effects that will make hangars sound different from forests.

And best of all EFX doesn't have aliasing effects present in hardware EAX1/2 (that high freq noise you can hear on old EAX soundcards when echo happens) producing clean reverb tails.

Edited by metalcraze

What about fmod? I am no expert at this, but from what I have heard fmod is pretty much the leading sound engine?

By the way, the new dev update has already landed on steam, just no changelog yet. The positioning sounds are improved. You can judge the range to the heli right now based on sound alone (when they were just popping in and out previously).

I think suppressor sounds are missing.

HOLY CRAP!!

Didn't have time to check anything on that 0.57 yet but: sounds_f.pbo went from 2Gb to 200Mb!!

This should help Verifysignature checks like crazy! In the name of my hard drive, I thank you! :)

I got alot of sounds misssing!

Like footsteps , relodsounds and stuff.

Anyone else got a similar Problem?

I got alot of sounds misssing!

Like footsteps , relodsounds and stuff.

Anyone else got a similar Problem?

It's listed under the known issues, so yeah, it will be the same for everyone.

it's all great but there are no good DEV servers online

Try this: Place a Littlebird, see if you and the copilot have a visible body. The texture for the Blufor Pilot seems to be missing.

Juset awesome changelog for the newest beta. Can't wait to try this bad boy out this evening!

Is there any way to stop some error messages from being logged into the RPTs? They're growing mighty fast with the "missing sounds" errors (dozens of lines per second)

Has anyone else had this?

Vsk71E0.png" title="Hosted by imgur.com

It's preventing me from getting todays update.

[Edit]

It seems I have todays release, so please disregard that part.

The message is still odd though.

Edited by Squelch
update

Has anyone else had this?