BIS: Are there any plans to hurry a limited update for the stable branch for this change?
Unfortunately I don't recall if BI has ever done any stable branch hotfixes, the only unscheduled fix I recall was when a dev build was rolled back (or rather, retracted) because of it affecting stable build clients if they were to play together, hence the disabling of cross-build multiplayer.
This of course would reduce the commands available to mission designers
Sounds almost exactly like why we haven't had it for so long.

Unfortunately I don't recall if BI has ever done any stable branch hotfixes

Wasn't there one to fix throwing 2 grenades crashing servers?

Sounds almost exactly like why we haven't had it for so long.

Well, the commands would be available to mission designers. They can design the mission and say that they require the security flag to be disabled for the mission. Then at the discretion of the admin who would be deciding whether or not to host a mission, they can increase or decrease their security levels per the mission requirements. This wouldn't be a community wide ban. So, if you design a mission using the full command library, the server admin has to ensure that it's compatible with their security settings. So it would be an optional flag and not necessarily something that's banned community wide. For example, if a mission like Wasteland required a certain flagged function, admins that want to host Wasteland would have to disable the flag. Other missions that don't require these commands are then run on other servers...so why should those servers, run by admins who can pick and choose their security levels and missions, be exposed? If the commands aren't needed by an admin for a mission, lock em down.

I am seeing some weird things with bushes in the latest dev build. They seem to pop-in unexpectedly as if they are missing a LOD level. Also, have there been any changes to the grass drawing distance? Seems like the distance was reduced? Mhm.

I am seeing some weird things with bushes in the latest dev build. They seem to pop-in unexpectedly as if they are missing a LOD level. Also, have there been any changes to the grass drawing distance? Seems like the distance was reduced? Mhm.

I had the same issue with the bushes though I haven't checked the latest build yet. ATI user, detail Ultra.

some of the security fixes needs first to be tested and expanded before they can even reach the stable version, so calling for rush hotfix of stable version isn't good idea in this situation

Seeing the same thing as well. At first I thought my settings were too low, so I set everything to Ultra and no dice. Bushes and weeds still pop in within 10 feet from my position. It's obnoxious and really needs fixing.

Spotted an interesting bug with offroad vehicles in the latest dev build: #0007764

Wouldn't be surprised if it's too tied to the existing animation system to untangle without having to also rework the animation system (and not just individual animations)...

Added: compileFinal command

Called it. :D

Removed fully script commands: setVehicleInit, clearVehicleInit, processInitCommands

Yes!

These changes should close off a whole bunch of common attack vectors.

Edited by MadDogX

Just perusing the Biki and saw those and then the dev branch change log! Those are fantastic additions (and deletions).

• Added numberOfDoors parameter to structure configs
  • Added numberOfHatches parameter to structures configs

I wonder why. Could this be the prelude to planned AI improvements (building handling)? :)

I wonder why. Could this be the prelude to planned AI improvements (building handling)? :)

Mostly there were some internal requirements to be able to retrieve these counts and use them (e.g. a simple editor module to change door states).

Hey Devs, could you please take a look at this?

Our animation folks are following the movement thread and have already made a plan with feasible changes for short / mid and long-term :)

The most well-known vulnerable script commands were removed entirely from the game. This was done instead of disabling them on purpose - we want to know how widely these are used (for legitimate purposes :mad:). We don't use them ourselves.

In the =BTC= Revive script. in one of my missions I use setVehicleInit to add an addaction for the Vitrual Ammo System after the MHQ is destroyed and respawns.

In another SP mission I use setVehicleInit on randonly spawned units in my missions, for things like UPS or UPSMON, and other random patrol scripts.

Krap, Basically %90 of my missions use a setVehicleInit or processInitCommands somewhere either in the scripts or in the Init.sqf.

I know that i have seen it used in countless scripts for dynamic spawning of stuffs.

If i understand correctly compileFinal replaces processInitCommands. ??

what do we use to replace setVehicleInit?

The most recent lighting tweaks have done wonders for the streetlights and ambient light - night time looks wonderful! The only thing is, I've seen a 50% FPS drop night vs day in the same mission now. Anyone else experiencing that?

Edited by Buster0083

The most recent lighting tweaks have done wonders for the streetlights and ambient light - night time looks wonderful! The only thing is, I've seen a 50% FPS drop night vs day in the same mission now. Anyone else experiencing that?

if only there were any dev servers running a decent mission, today i saw only 3 servers running and they were passworded, hate those passwords, but missions were crappy anyway, lol

In the =BTC= Revive script. in one of my missions I use setVehicleInit to add an addaction for the Vitrual Ammo System after the MHQ is destroyed and respawns.

In another SP mission I use setVehicleInit on randonly spawned units in my missions, for things like UPS or UPSMON, and other random patrol scripts.

Krap, Basically %90 of my missions use a setVehicleInit or processInitCommands somewhere either in the scripts or in the Init.sqf.

I know that i have seen it used in countless scripts for dynamic spawning of stuffs.

If i understand correctly compileFinal replaces processInitCommands. ??

what do we use to replace setVehicleInit?

Basically any previous use of processInitCommands now needs to be replaced by an equivalent public variable + event handler. The main difficulty there is going to be syncing all important events to JIP players after they connect. Will probably require some rethinking and rewriting of scripts, but in the end the enhanced security should be worth it.

Made all script commands final (no longer possible to reassign)

The problem with this now is that mission files that were locally compiled by cfgFunctions such as missionConversations.sqf or missionTasks.sqf are compiling their blank defaults in the "a3\functions\scripts" directory at runtime, but on mission load / init the local equivalent of the script file cannot be compiled and overwrite the default blank file because it's protected.

This is obviously breaking any missions that use BIS_fnc_missionTasks or BIS_fnc_missionConversations (such as all the showcase missions).

Thanks for the info. We're aware of the issue and fixing it so it can appear in the next build.

Same for me. Its worst when not using NVGs. Changing the dynamic lighting options does not seem to change this significantly either.

I have >30 fps during the day and 12-15 during the night now.

But then, the street lights in Agia are really beautiful now. Never had such a romantic evening in A3 before ;-)

(Despite their beauty I would still love to be able to shoot the lights out...)

in relation to backward compatibility (removed script commands) , we are internally looking into it and if possible we will try come up with some solution

yep. the lighting looks great now, but it really kills my framerate. more than 50%. I just tested it above the airfield, and I was getting around 50 fps in the day, but less than 20 at night

same here. This is the first dev build that has really killed performance for me. Night time is extremely laggy and practically unplayable. Once the sky brightens up it gets back to normal, acceptable frames.

The vicinity of Agia and the airbase are the worst.

Edited by GvsE