Sign in to follow this  
sn4ke

Dedicated Server with 2500 Ping - why?

Hey guys,

I got a server running on my root server.

When I searh for the server ingame, it shows me a 2500 Ping...when I connect to it I have a 16ms ping and everything plays perfect, any clue (maybe a config issue) why the server bowser shows such a high ping?

Hi mate

your firewall or router is blocking the ICMP protocol.

The Root-Server is standing in a computing center so there is no router for us.

The ping didn't change even if I completely disable the firewall.

Still a 2500 Ping in the server browser.

sn4ke, launch your Arma 3 client with admin permissions, and check the server ping in browser. ;)

I've been struggling with this issue myself some time ago and it turned out to be client side issue.

Same thing as Zydu. I wasted hours with firewall settings, ICMP, router setup etc and it was none of these.

In fact in most cases, I don't think it is anything to do with people's hardware/network settings.

I simply ran the client as administrator and problem solved.

Same thing for ArmA 2 (which worked fine the last time I used the server, admittedly some time ago, but I suspect that this problem was introduced in an A2 beta and has somehow found it's way into the A3 alpha).

Same thing as Zydu. I wasted hours with firewall settings, ICMP, router setup etc and it was none of these.

In fact in most cases, I don't think it is anything to do with people's hardware/network settings.

Same thing for ArmA 2 (which worked fine the last time I used the server, admittedly some time ago, but I suspect that this problem was introduced in an A2 beta and has somehow found it's way into the A3 alpha).

Now my server is showing a 2500 Ping regardless of whether I use the 'Run as admin' switch or not.

This started after today's patch (nothing to do with my network as absolutely nothing has changed since last night)

**EDIT**

Rebooting the server 3 times seems to have solved it although I still have to run the client as admin to get the right ping :(

Edited by BangTail

Thanks. I ran the client as admin and problem solved.

im guessing they fixed the issues that has been there for 10 years.

Blasted! Where were you 3 months ago when i had this problem in Arma2 now carried over to Arma 3!?! :mad: :p

I've not been able to join my own server in like for ever with just the load screen freezing infinitum. I've called for router support -did all kinds of techie gooblygock -only to find all's I ever had to do was run client as Admin :o

We really need an idiots guide/checklist FAQ for simple things like this that can really shut a player out.

Cool, ready to get back into some MP!!!

don't you have to run steam as admin once then launch arma 3, exit out and then launch steam normally to make this go away?

that was the case with arma 2 and specifically for players that played dayz.