Sign in to follow this  
liukang168

AI unmaned units e.g. Drones, Robots, etc.

So finding out that vehicle can be maned with "logic" only to make them work as a robot I started working on this Drone.

HK_Drone says hi to O2!

HK_Drone.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:21 ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 ----------

The model should not become a small MV22. It should just use plane mechanics to move or animate the rotor/motors.

---------- Post added at 03:54 ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 ----------

And the first test flight ...

HK_Drone1.jpg

Chasing its bigger brother ...

HK_Drone2.jpg

Now I run into some problems regarding the functionality:

A) Its a helicopter

B) Movement of rotors to be simulated (would like to use the plane functions, rudder and elevator to move the model parts). Is it possible to merge both? I dont know how it is done with the MV 22 ...

If I had a proper referenz example unit, this would be done in "no" time.

Here is a current video of a russian guy who actually built a flying rifle, not so future anymore these drones.

Edited by liukang168

No I think it needs AI therefore needs to be 'piloted'. In arma there are two kinds of AI things, agents and units. Units are the soldiers that can be ordered around, and agents are things like ambient life. You can spawn any kind of thing as either a unit or an agent, I think... but I don't know if agents can pilot vehicles.

BUT, if you have an unit inside a vehicle that can never get out, is invisible, etc. I don't think there's any real difference.

Cheers Max.

So the "steering" unit has to have no view - pilot lod? For example if I create a flying "robot" that will be smaller then the regular passenger.

Thanks for the hint.

You don't have to place the unit proxy in the resolution LOD - results in no unit being visible

You don't have to place the unit proxy in the resolution LOD - results in no unit being visible

You can also use gamelogics ( crew = "Logic"; ) to pilot vehicles if you want sth. like a remote control and the vehicle still to be used by players when it's empty. The gamelogics will still get parachutes though (atleast in A2).

IIRC BIS has promised -true- unmanned vehicles. In ArmA2 the big issue with UAVs was that... well... they had a crew. A commander and a pilot - that you couldn't see of course - but unless you've removed hellfires from UAVs they would just fly around blowing up tanks on their own even if you "controlled" them. So basically UAVs in their real sense (remote operator) weren't possible.

Clearly they were added as an afterthought, as an extension to a usual plane.

I just hope the current implementation will be AI (or player) having a needed control module (like UAV backpack) on the ground who will truly control UAV from a distance. And UAV won't have a magical crew.

Just adding a UAV as "flying" and giving it waypoints works fine. I just tried importing my A2 UGV's into the Alpha and it crashes.

Hi all,

thanks for the massive feedback. I would like to simulate a computer controlled robot unit, which is not to be controled by a human.

But the idea of a remote brings other stuff to my mind. A terminal to be captured in order to control an enemy robot unit or somehting.

Thanks again everyone.

IIRC BIS has promised -true- unmanned vehicles. In ArmA2 the big issue with UAVs was that... well... they had a crew. A commander and a pilot - that you couldn't see of course - but unless you've removed hellfires from UAVs they would just fly around blowing up tanks on their own even if you "controlled" them. So basically UAVs in their real sense (remote operator) weren't possible.

Clearly they were added as an afterthought, as an extension to a usual plane.

I just hope the current implementation will be AI (or player) having a needed control module (like UAV backpack) on the ground who will truly control UAV from a distance. And UAV won't have a magical crew.

You can set the AI crew to not shoot or spot enemy etc. I have done this before but don't have the command in front of me. If needed I can provide or I am sure you can find them with a search here.

Very nice thread indeed.

About this kind of A.I. i was wondering myself.

I m interested in a post-apocalyptic scenario of a world dominated by machines. (Something like the known Terminator movie-future)

Yeah it works. In config.cpp crew="logic"; ...

I did this with another flight unit. If you shoot it down the logic still tries, as mentioned above to use the parachute. (could blame it is the blackbox)

Edited by liukang168

content moved to first page.

Edited by liukang168
moved to first page

So, what does BIS promised?? Can I start modelling my little iRobot and i'll be able to make it controlable from a console?

I mean, I was wondering if I can model it, make something like a console interface with some PiP with the 2 or 3 cameras of the robot, movible with the joystick and so on?

I'm asking that because the actual UGV script from ArmA 2 is nice, but you still have people inside the robot and you are controlling in like if you were in. Nice thing could be to see, for example, and Xbox controller and by clicking on it, move the robot (or just some arrows and buttons...)

Anyone have any idea on this? I have not seen any EOD robot for now in ArmA and could be the final add so I can finally simulate the missions from Bomb Patrol :P

iRobot%20PackBot%20with%20FasTac%20Kit%20control.jpg

640px-IRobot_PackBot_510_E.T..JPG

remote control already possible since arma 2 no? i remember the mission where you could use a uav terminal? same for the apache mission from oa.

seems like a case of using the soul switch feature.

unless you want to be in control of two entities at the same time which would be kind of ineffective.

If you use "logic" as crew you can steer it. Somehow you cant look around in the model.

Does anyone know if there is an open dual unit such as the MV22 or the F-35, which kind of use both types of aviation systems?

I really need to figure out how to make the model can be animated and used as stated.

1.) Basic helicopter movement are done already but

2.) The rudder and wing movements, in order to animate the movement the rotors/motors.

Very much appreciated is any kind of tip.

P.S. Couldnt find any unbinarized ARMA 1 model that has these specifications.

Edited by liukang168

Can a model use both kind of animations?

E.g. Throttle + = Rotor UP / nose forward = elevators / down left and right move alierons instead of accelerating the tail rotor?

Is it only depending on the animations that I declare in the model.cfg?

Or is it based on the vehicle class where I inheritated it from? In that case i need to have in the config.cpp instead of class A10; class my unit : A10, to use class vehicle; class my_unit : vehicle; in order to make it only depended on the model.cfg functions?

Sorry to restart, but I am stuck at this project. Animations work in Oxygen and visible motion in Bulldozer. But not ingame.

Is there a work around? e.g. to generate an animation that is linked to the movement of the controler?

For example moving forward = rotation of partx or turn/bank left/right motion of partx?

"So, what does BIS promised?? Can I start modelling my little iRobot"

I know for sure one was made (wink, wink)..but if it makes it all the way into the final game, ..I'm thinking 50/50

"So, what does BIS promised?? Can I start modelling my little iRobot"

I know for sure one was made (wink, wink)..but if it makes it all the way into the final game, ..I'm thinking 50/50

What's the point of resurrecting a post of April?