Sign in to follow this  
nephros

simple idea for multiplayer mission

A current multiplayer mission in common rotation involves nothing more complicated than spawning, choosing a helicopter, and flying around seattle freely. From the times I've played I see a lot of players hovering around each other, chasing, and stuff. A way to add a bit more intrigue could be to add random engine failure requiring autorotation landing. Then if you successfully land, you could radio for a pickup and have your fellow players get you and take you back to the central spawn point. Adds a bit of the "multiplayer" aspect to free-flight.

A brilliant idea if you ask me and why not use a winch system to save other players? And if things go further we will be able to have cops and robbers missions, which off-course will not be planned.

But there are a few slight problems sadly.

For instance there are not so many players online. My high score is 5 people being online together and that was just once.

In general and even when I start a server of my own I have to be extremely lucky to have one player besides me. A very sad fact.

And it gets worse. I don't know why but it is a miracle if your fellow players actually know how to fly!?!? Most of them don't even know how to put into practice the start-up procedure.........????......

If you mean my MP freeflight mission, its not that easy to implement I'm afraid. :( Simply because I'm no coder/scripter, and my ability at editing is limited. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to put together this simple mission.

I've wanted to add more stuff to the mission, but trying to keep it interesting for everyone is a tricky balance. Engine failures would be enjoyed by some, but others would find it annoying. I could try to add it as a parameter but I have no idea how to, and at the end of the day someone wouldn't be happy that it was/wasn't included.

As far as I know the winch system isn't MP compatible with regards to other players. ie You can't winch players up or lower them down, it has to be AI.

I wanted to make a cops vs robbers style gameplay mission, but again my imagination far exceeds my creation abilities.

I want to leave the MP Freeflight mission as is. It serves its purpose. BUT...I'll happily use it as a foundation to try and make a more playground style mission, with tasks/events etc taking place. This is not a promise however.

One of the biggest problems I have is that whenever I try to do any editing with ToH, I end up spending a few hours just enjoying flying. :)

If you weren't talking about the MP freeflight mission then....ermm...ignore this post! ;)

Edited by Mjr.Hassle
I kant sPel

I wanted to make a cops vs robbers style game-play mission, but again my imagination far exceeds my creation abilities.

That is the problem I believe with all the guys that really want to make something more out of this game. I have searched and I have dramatically not found anything witch can help me to start editing missions in TOH....

Just one video of how to make a sling loading mission. And the irony is that I kind of dislike these kind of missions.

And another point. Why aren't the Bohemia Interactive programmers enhancing this game with more missions? Something like a patch whatsoever. There are so many possibilities, so many challenges that can arise. I mean it can't be simple but you cannot leave a game without enhancements. In the forum itself there are so many suggestions.

P.S. If there is another way of learning this kind of mission editing please inform me.

All the scripts I used in the Freeflight mission I found in the ArmA 2 editing section. All I did was change some classnames. Most of whats there will work in ToH. http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?93-ARMA-2-amp-OA-MISSIONS-Editing-amp-Scripting

Mr.Murrays editing guide is very useful. Again, its for ArmA but most of it is still relevant for ToH. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

Hassle, I was talking about your mission and I greatly appreciate your effort in putting it together. Sadly, I also keep coming up with great ideas for missions and decide to have a go with the editor for an hour or so before I realize again how much I suck at it, and how little free time I have. I imagine the debs have their hands full with arma 3 and dayz.

Many thanks for the editing guide. I will make sure that I will spend some serious time on this one. Although I don't think that I will be able to work things out, I will however try.:D

Also, is anybody aware of any already existing missions, except convoy attack and operation pegasus, that will offer some fun time of game-play? I would really appreciate it since I am constantly looking for more multiplayer missions that would attract more players going online.