Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Margaret Thatcher dies

My grandmother used to say: "If you can't say anything nice about a person who just passed away, better say nothing at all."

Let's keep it this way, ok?

Yep, so i'll stick to the positive side ;)

For having travelled to UK and particularly to London once a year since i'm 10 (and i'm 43 now...), i can say that i did notice a great change thanks to her and after her, whatever i can think about her economic, financial and political ideas. I hope my country would have such a "strong man" (...) as PM or President, which sadly hasn't been the case since 1969.

Ahead of her time with her policies, the fruits of which we only saw many years later. Stuck to her guns, wrongly or rightly, and was committed throughout. Whichever opinion one may have of the old lady, she was indeed a extraordinary person, who's influence will be felt for many more generations to come.

She is quiet nicely remembered here in Poland. I wish we had such PM here :)

She was PM through my school yrs-and i just wanted the bitch out!!

It's not until your older/understand, that you realise what a woman she was so to speak- wish more later PM's had her balls lol so to speak! :)

She is quiet nicely remembered here in Poland. I wish we had such PM here :)

An ironic tale, really. Her meeting with Lech Walesca and all those heroic Gdansk shipyard workers, whom she would have sacked in five minutes with a smile on her face, had they been British.

On one hand we have a very EU Critic mind who seams to tried to stronger the UK sovereignty, on the other one her taxation policy destroyed the UKs economy. I tought long about the possibility of the Reagan effect, where politicians first do some good stuff for the population, by simply leaving them alone, and than something like a assassination atempt happens and they go 180 degree the other way. Also, it seams like she got more and more megalomaniac in her third term.

But no one will remember those things. No one could name one tax her government enforced on the people, but always will they remember mindless slogans about Iron Lady and the Falkland Islands.

28 November 1990: “We leave the United Kingdom in a very much better state than when we came here 11 and a half years ago,â€

Very true and despite many contrary words, 2 Labour PM's later, not 1 policy reversal. That has never been adequately explained, if she was so wrong why didn't anyone change course?

It is of course sad that many suffered but there was no way to avoid change. One aspect that no one will admit to is that the suffering was made greater by their own actions. After the scenes of rioting and violence, anyone who had any plans to build new factories in mining areas in the Northern UK, decided against it. The militants effectively made themselves and everyone who lived nearby unemployable and drove away investors.

I work in the UK 50% of the time on engineering projects and have had several ex-miners tell me that the way they worked was unsustainable. They didn't know it at the time and would think nothing of sleeping on the job and throwing expensive equipment in the trash every day rather than taking the time to return it to the stores. That is one reason (apart from depleted sources) why UK coal was so expensive to produce they had trouble selling it domestically and couldn't export it. How do you pay the wages, when you can't sell the product?

I respect her stand for freedom and democracy and watching the performance in recent days of some of those who stand for the other side, I'm happy they lost. I find it distasteful to discuss politics at a time like this but certain posts above and some of the press coverage leaves me no option. RIP Maggie, you did much good, some bad and unfortunately didn't please everybody all of the time.

Well,just to let you know ... thatcher was unknown (with no real political notoriety) until she assisted to a bilderberg meeting in 1972 and seduced some of the guys there with her "vision"... 3 years later she is a prime minister.

May peace be with her !

What's wrong with you Qazdar? Seriously.

My grandmother used to say: "If you can't say anything nice about a person who just passed away, better say nothing at all."

Let's keep it this way, ok?

Thats over half the UK who potentially could post and who were aware of this thread, staying silent then.

So I will cross my fingers and say, she was wonderful with no faults and say the same as 'team thatcher'. As regards the Family and their loss then that's different, but then that also private and this is an open forum for discussion, so maybe the thread should close? The world is not all puppy dogs and rainbows life or death & your "legacy" so say has two sides to a coin, sorry but in this instance a subject about thatcher and only submitting good things is a bit odd in my view. :)

Edited by mrcash2009

Thats over half the UK who potentially could post and who were aware of this thread, staying silent then.
but then that also private and this is an open forum for discussion, so maybe the thread should close?

Exactly this ^

I was given 2 infractions for posting my thoughts on "the Iron Lady" , Ironic really i think she would of probably done the same.

There were those that Gained under Magrat and those that Suffered Horribly and still suffer today , i guess posts here simply reflect who or whos parents gained or lost and maybe a third who merely base there thoughts on afar /media recollections/basis.

Point is, its a hot topic, radio discussion here in UK if rife with so many opposing split views at the moment, but even on open day radio they allow both sides of the coin, if someone helped in assisting a poor life for another human in their particular life and they pass away, highlighting this fact is not slamming them as a human but discussing the facts.

Radio today at 11:00 AM A man came on and stated "My parents were effected so badly by her policies, I will not shed a tear for her" ... now, he has a right to that view and he openly said it on morning radio, at no point did he get cut off or was challenged, other than another phone in after had different take on it from the city. Talk radio at the moment is very juicy I must say.

This split (despite passing away) is simple:

If you believed in the Freudian based "Lifestyle" she will be the historic champion, if your on this particular side of the fence or you use "lifestyle" in your daily life, take some time to watch the following:

The Century Of Self:

s7EwXmxpExw

On the other side of that coin, if your were a humble worker making ends meet and living day to day (like for example most of my family/parents), she certainly was not batting for your particular team, and its this side that should apparently be silent, which is effectively what mainstream TV are looking for at the moment.

Edited by mrcash2009

@Thromp

i will not shed a tear for her

is not the same as

may she rot in hell

It is not what you say, it is how you say it. Not really hard to understand.

Margeret Thatcher was for sure a remarkable personality. The Thatcherism was controversial, some would call her a neoliberal witch and other admire her as the Grande Dame. May the "Iron Lady" rest in peace.

Myke;2367970']My grandmother used to say: "If you can't say anything nice about a person who just passed away' date=' better say nothing at all."

Let's keep it this way, ok?[/quote']

Political discussion is allowed in this forum, but I question whether there's anything in the rules that says you can preemptively forbid it in a thread where politics is relevant. If not for politics, we would not know her name, and her political legacy is being discussed in EVERY respectable media source, from the New York Times obituary and on up.

Myke;2368655']@Thromp

is not the same as

It is not what you say' date=' it is how you say it. Not really hard to understand.[/quote']

I think you are imposing your emotional values and Moral here too much , What i said was no more Harsh than what has been said of other leaders , Be it Bush /Chavez/ pinochet / Kim Jong , if i wish her to rot it is based on my opinion of some years living with her regime , not based on some relative or person here in this forum.

You decided to partially quote my deleted and Infracted post which i think is a little bit Hypocritical again on your part ?

Hi all

I met her once, she came to inspect our cutting edge hi tech factory, in her constituancy of Finchley on Ballards Lane, if I search a little harder I might find a picture of her with me, but this is from then.

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/politics-margaret-thatcher-vacuum-interrupters-ltd-1981/Memory/9fbed4b8-0241-42e9-b9bb-a00a010a8c73

but it meant staying behind after work to be there for her, we had a vote to see if we would stay; no one wanted to stay behind after work to be there for her photo oportunity; that is until the managment made it clear she was the one deciding on key government contracts between us and a somewhat less advanced German factory; our company held patents on some advanced technology, that would secure our long term future. So we knuckled under. At the time Thatcher was known as the Grim Reaper in manufacturing; as every factory she visted went bust soon afterwards.

I left the company a few months later, after training a robot to do my last ever welding job, watching it do my work was some what boring to say the least, 4 months after that she awarded the contracts to the German firm, and the factory I worked for in her very own constituency of Finchely went out of business. The patent were licensed to the German Company and the companies equipment was sold to them too.

What the old mass media have to say about her, versus what the people are saying on the street or social media, somewhat at odds.

I will go with what people on the street and on social media say, like Thatcherism the mass media has had its day any way.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Political discussion is allowed in this forum, but I question whether there's anything in the rules that says you can preemptively forbid it in a thread where politics is relevant.

He's not banning the political discussion. He's pre-emptively preventing the usual tirrade of bile and nastiness that typically comes from this kind of event.

He's not saying you cant discuss her good OR bad sides. He's just saying don't be a rude, arrogant and childish dick about it while you do.

I think you are imposing your emotional values and Moral here too much , What i said was no more Harsh than what has been said of other leaders , Be it Bush /Chavez/ pinochet / Kim Jong , if i wish her to rot it is based on my opinion of some years living with her regime , not based on some relative or person here in this forum.

You decided to partially quote my deleted and Infracted post which i think is a little bit Hypocritical again on your part ?

1. I think you have absolutely no say on how the forum is moderated (infact, since its in the rules to not discuss it, you're probably headed for another infraction)

2. I think Myke, being a non-Brit is probably the best impartial party to moderate such things. (To be fair, the entire active moderation team are non-Brits AFAIK, which should keep things impartial)

3. We get it, you dislike the lady. Do you really need this game forum to know just how much of a petty man you are that you must be allowed to post how "rubbish" she was and how you think that certain things should happen to her for the rest of time? A few pro-tips for you: 1. this forum is not a democracy, there is no "free speech" here. 2. "Free speech" does not grant you the right to defame or vilify someone, no matter how true you believe it to be.

What i said was no more Harsh than what has been said of other leaders , Be it Bush /Chavez/ pinochet / Kim Jong

Well, i can't be everywhere.

The meaning was to show you the difference. If you don't get it there is nothing i can do.

it is based on my opinion of some years living with her regime

Again, you're free to state your opinion about her regime and political influence, be it negative or positive. The matter is how you word it. If you can't dress your opinion in appropriate words, i suggest you refrain from posting.

@Maturin

political discussion is allowed as long it can be civilized. But again, Ms. Thatcher left politics quite some time ago and besides of that she was a human being with family like you and me. Keep that in mind.

she was a human being with family like you and me.

I guess that is the problem with my views in your Opinion , I would never ever be more insulted if you compared me and my family with that of Magrat.

I shall leave this discussion and bite my tongue.

I would never ever be more insulted if you compared me and my family with that of Magrat.

I guess you should be insulted then, because she was a normal human being, just like the rest of us...