Sign in to follow this  
bobby budnick

How to Sandbox Arma 3 to keep it from taking control of Windows on startup?

Malware, as described by Wikipedia - Malware, short for malicious (or malevolent) software, is software used or programmed by attackers to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. It can appear in the form of code, scripts, active content, and other software. 'Malware' is a general term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software.

This clearly falls into "disrupt computer operation" since Arma 3 programatically forces Windows and all other programs to not respond when it it starting up. It is not an issue of system resources. Arma 3 uses around 10% CPU and hard disk when starting. Startup on my computer takes around 5 minutes so my computer is totally unusable during that time. I actually have work to do though! I have scripts to edit and other things to change. Start any other full screen Direct3D game and notice that you can clearly alt-tab and open (and interact with) windows at will. Certainly, the same programming techniques that malware writers are using are being used here.

About the "attacker" description. You are an attacker if your software intentionally disrupts my computer operation for five minutes or more. "Intentionally" meaning the programmed use of Windows calls that do not allow for other windows, including task manager, to respond in a timely way!

So we have a situation where Arma 3 takes much longer to start up than it should given that it does not use the hardware properly, and also monopolizes the operation of Windows as well. Operation like this is clearly against Windows programming best practices. I request that this be fix be given a high priority.

The only method I can see to remedy this from a user perspective is to somehow sandbox Arma 3. That way it can freeze up it's "Fake Windows" all day long and I won't care. After searching, it appears that there is not much game sandboxing software available for Windows.

I saw the Wine thread for the Arma 3 server already. Has anyone gotten the 3D portion of Arma 3 working in Wine? Does anyone have any further suggestions?

5 minutes to startup Arma 3?

The only thing I ever need to do while ArmA 3 is starting up is to start TrackIR because I forgot to.

Hmm are you using a bamboo computer mate?

Im on a Lenovo G780 laptop.

I dont even spend 1m loading the entire game to the menu and i can tab out while doing it.

I havent experienced this at all, so i cant back you up on this.

But if its an issue it needs to be adressed ofc :)

I don't have this problem, exactly (maybe because Arma III starts in about 15 seconds, for me), but I can't seem to alt-tab out of it when it's running, unless I have another window open (not just minimized).

I've mainly had a problem because of Teamspeak. If that's minimized, I can't alt-tab out of Arma III to get to it. Even when it's not minimized, if I have to close it and start it up again (because of a sound problem), Arma III takes over at full-screen as soon as I close Teamspeak, so I don't have any way to restart the program without exiting Arma III first. Is there a solution to this?

My apologies if I'm inappropriately hijacking this thread, but I thought my question was similar enough to fit here. If not, again, I apologize.

Bill

Also can't confirm this behaviour, ArmA 3 is starting fine at my side. Maybe a proper bug report would help, including info's like system specs, software running in background and so on. It might be a special combination on your side but surely worth to be hunted down.

LOL @bamboo computer !

Seriously Bobby ... it sounds like your computer is shit! Or you have so much crap on it, I would reinstall Windows.

Arma3 taking 5 minutes to start up is highly unusual, but locking up your entire system as it does so just sounds fishy. (And it is definitely not standard behaviour.)

To me this sounds like it might be caused by a faulty HDD. I experienced a HDD failure recently that showed similar symptoms, i.e. briefly locking up the entire system whenever there was too much activity on it. After painful hours of moving all important data off of it, I removed the HDD and everything went back to normal.

I think this a case of 99.99% behind the keyboard problem...:D

I can still do anything I want while it boots up and it only takes about 15 seconds to load, if even that. So yeah you need to take a serious look at your computer. Like the things mentioned already, what's running at the time and if the HDD is failing.

I'm also thinking HDD problem, or something is thrashing it. Did you look at the RPT?

I have recognized a few times, that when I hit the close-button (in example browser), that A3 instantly moves to the foreground. The expectation was the desktop. Generally it is like that all ArmAs tends to steal the focus.

I think we should clarify whether you are running windows mode or full screen. By saying fullscreen, ArmA dont't care about the titlebar of windows or if the taskbar was moved.

Somehow the startup parameter -nopause (In A2 and A3) makes no sense. Because it is depending to the windows-mode.

I assume, that some AntiCheat or BattlEye have control over the taskbar, like some copy protection programs (or AntiVirus) are hiding their own processes against attacks.

I agree with the topicstarter, ArmA could keep the Windows-standards better.

Edited by Mirudes
Textblock was twice

Use the commands -nosplash -world=empty and it will start in 10-15secs.

1. Rightclick Arma 3 Alpha

2. Choose "properties"

3. Click "set launch options"

4. Write -nosplash -world=empty

5. click ok

Now launch the game and it will take 10-15secs.

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

I have recognized a few times, that when I hit the close-button (in example browser), that A3 instantly moves to the foreground. The expectation was the desktop. Generally it is like that all ArmAs tends to steal the focus.

I think we should clarify whether you are running windows mode or full screen. By saying fullscreen, ArmA dont't care about the titlebar of windows or if the taskbar was moved. I agree with the topicstarter, ArmA could keep the Windows standards better.

Somehow the startup parameter -nopause (In A2 and A3) makes no sense. Because it is depending to the windows-mode.

I assume, that some AntiCheat or BattlEye have control over the taskbar, like some copy protection programs (or AntiVirus) are hiding their own processes against attacks.

I agree with the topicstarter, ArmA could keep the Windows-standards better.

True, it can be a bitch to tab out of arma 3 in fullscreen.

It usually maximizes arma again when you either close or minimize the window you tab out to.

But the parameter -nopause works fine for me, the game doesnt pause when i tab out in SP or Editor, it keeps going.

So it does what its suppose to do.

Ive also heard about people using -high paramter, but i have no idea if it actually forces windows to prioritize Arma over other programs running.

The whole attempt to characterise a game studio as producers of malware is laughable just because your pc cant handle the game, or are you just attention-seeking?

Ive also heard about people using -high paramter, but i have no idea if it actually forces windows to prioritize Arma over other programs running.

I tested this and -High parameter does NOT work

Bobby (OP) Defrag your hard drive...

Perhaps try the -noPause switch in the shortcut?

Yeah, i start it windowed with nopause and can do whatever i want while ArmA3 is loading, and even then it wont take anywhere near 5 minutes.

Try this:

Add

-noSplash -noPause

to the shortcut

Try left Alt + Esc

That worked. Thanks!

I could have sworn I'd tried that, but I guess not, because it works for me now. Thanks again!

Bill

As many other people have said here, I do not encounter such issues myself when starting up ARMA 3.

Startup time for me takes at least 1 minute minimum to 3 minutes if I'm running a bit slow. And in fact, when I have other programs running when I boot up ARMA 3, the programs actually slow down ARMA, rather than your case, causing me to alt-tab out and shut down all unnecessary programs.

Sorry to say, my only idea on how to fix this is to clean up your computer a bit and recheck your specs.