Sign in to follow this  
adzc

Kinect instead of Track IR, does it exist?

Has anyone ever heard of a way of using your Xbox 360 connect in the same way Track IR currently does in Arma? I can find stuff on the net for other games with it. Im suprised noone in the Arma community has not attempted it.

There is this discussion going on HERE about using webcams and mentions the PS3 Eye. There are 50+ pages but you may find your question answered already.

Thats helpful thanks.

I think, for now anyway, that Kinect can't compete with TrackIR as its resolution is not as high enough for smooth accurate tracking. It will be good when it can though, as that will create some competition in the head tracking field. Oculus Rift will be in there too.

If you have a sensor with any degree(s) of freedom, I can provide interface to ArmA, as long as you define your protocol for transferring it...

Smoothing isn't an issue because we in FTNOIR have very adequate filtering built in.

If you have a Kinect algorithm for tracking user's face or anything else, it can be optimally included in FTNOIR as a tracking source.

Edit: TIR "accuracy" is vastly exaggerated - I too can grab blob centroids at 1E-WHATEVER accuracy. It's not an issue.

The thing is, with a rigid model composed of only 3 planar (duh) points, there's no chance for iterative improvement of the pose.

Edit 2: I hope in FTNOIR 1.8 you will find the HT 0.8 tracker enjoyable, it works with glasses, also while smoking.

Edit 3: I don't know if TIR5 is a VfW device providing a binary threshold image, or not... If it isn't, there'll be no steps to support it in FTNOIR, ever... Just sayin'

-sh

Edited by sthalik

Everything you said makes no sense to me! lol

I have managed to get the kinect to work as a webcam, i can choose between normal colour, depth of field and IR.

I wonder if the normal webcam one will work.

The trick is to use depth info as a tracking source :) There's some code in PCL called 'KinfuTracker', but it runs on a GPU due to extreme need for point cloud data... It literally uses thousands of points, while my HT tracker uses 100 or less.

The trick is to use depth info as a tracking source :) There's some code in PCL called 'KinfuTracker', but it runs on a GPU due to extreme need for point cloud data... It literally uses thousands of points, while my HT tracker uses 100 or less.

Havent got a clue what your on about lol! I know nothing about this technology.

I have managed to get some thing to work heres my guide from the VOLCBAT forums-

Ok here goes as a guide.

Using an Xbox 360 Kinect (do not connect to comp until told.) If you want to use a regular webcam go to step 7.

1. Make sure you have the correct Kinect, you need to have the power adaptor that looks a bit like this to be able to plug it into a PC.

2. Download the SDK and Tool Kit for Kinect from Windows and install.

3. Now plug in the kinect, windows should install all the drivers (may take few mins)

4. Test the kinect, start the "Developer Toolkit Browser" this will be in your start menu under SDK For kinect.

5. Goto the tools and run one of the Kinect Explorers (not the studio) this will let you see if its working and adjust the angle of the camera.

6. close it all down and install this this is what will allow the Kinect to be used as a webcam. You will probably need to restart the comp first and it normally starts by default on startup.

7. Now that you have a webcam goto this nifty wee thing you also need this the demo will do and i just put bollocks in the name address etc

8. Now start your webcam, launch Facetracker demo, you will see how it works here. Then when ready start the FaceTrackNoIR, from this you can adjust all sorts of settings.

9. Testing- Click start on the FaceTrackNoIR, you should see a little picture of your self with the facial tracking. Start Arma and just create a editor with a single man. Once in game you can goto options, controls, and controllers you will see 2 regarding a joystick controller already enabled. Enable the one called Track IR, the Freetrack dont seem to work well.

Start a Mission and mess around!

Hey,

Happy you like our software :) Version 1.8 will come some time, maybe not exactly soon. But there's much new functionality already in place, including working Linux support!

Operating Kinect as a webcam seems like a waste, though. For a sophisticated device, not to use depth data? While we have HQ meshes made with depth-scanners for tracking purposes, it'd certainly be very exciting to try out something new...

Hey,

Happy you like our software :) Version 1.8 will come some time, maybe not exactly soon. But there's much new functionality already in place, including working Linux support!

Operating Kinect as a webcam seems like a waste, though. For a sophisticated device, not to use depth data? While we have HQ meshes made with depth-scanners for tracking purposes, it'd certainly be very exciting to try out something new...

Ah i didnt realise you were part of the team, the kinect comes from my xbox 360, didnt see the point in buying a webcam when i had a potential webcam already on place!

Yes i did think the Kinect has more features which could enable better software.

Hey,

I dont mind helping test btw?

Been making binary builds at http://ananke.laggygamerz.com/ftnoir/ ; they are lexicographically sorted and as such, newer builds are near the bottom.

If you want to use FaceAPI, just use the stable version, it isn't actively developed. Use PT or HT instead.

And yes, for HT you should input the horizontal (not diagonal, what is this Logitech? go die in a fire...) FOV, else it'll have problems with everything.

Use the latest build, using old builds is a waste of developers' time.

There's a known bug, after saving and loading a new profile you should restart the program or else it could not load/save the new profile properly.

IMPORTANT: Please check that the aforementioned bug no longer exists in 20130411_4

And yes, if 'testing' means to you 'assume it works properly and put no effort into it' like some people practice, don't bother.

I've had some people who tread pre-alpha builds as some shiny toys, when they break, whine audibly and lose interest. It's nothing personal against you, adzc.

The source code resides now in the main FTNOIR repository in the posix branch, awaiting further testing. It's presumed to be merged some time sooner or later before 1.8.

Edited by sthalik