Sign in to follow this  
hovmand

Battlefield 1942

I think it completely sucks. The Japanese use German weapons and medals. Let me repeat that, because I feel like youre not taking the journey with me- THE JAPANESE USE GERMAN WEAPONS AND MEDALS!!!! And another thing- During the battle for Wake Island, the defenders didnt have Corsairs. And many other things. In fact, there are SOOOOOO many things wrong with this game, it makes me despair of gaming and the gaming community as a whole, because it seems like everyone likes it so much.

I dont care about graphics (I boot up friggin Jane's IAF every once in a while lol- Avon, you know what Im talkin about), and I think a comparison of BF1942's graphics and OFP's is completely pointless. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. OFP looks real (minus the odd shrubbery), and BF1942 looks like a good old fashioned technicolor John Wayne USA Kicks Ass war movies. But graphics does not a game make. OFP is a serious sim, BF1942 is a highly flawed arcadey run n gun shoot em up that has no respect for its historical subject matter. And THAT is why OFP holds BF'42 down til it cries "Uncle!!!".

That is all.

What an insult. I got into Tiger tank and thought "now come and get me" and the other tanks were just as strong as me!

OFP is a chess-board for grown-ups and battlefield1942 is a playground for children. I need a little bit of both.

But one thing about the graphics of Operation Flashpoint. Maybe you didnt have this experience yet. But did you ever climb on one of the tops of those mountains in the morning and enjoyed the far far scenery. THAT is OFP!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Aug. 17 2002,12:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But one thing about the graphics of Operation Flashpoint. Maybe you didnt have this experience yet. But did you ever climb on one of the tops of those mountains in the morning and enjoyed the far far scenery. THAT is OFP!<span id='postcolor'>

I never get the complaints about OFP graphics. Take a look outside your window. There are no pink glowing magic portals there. OFP is meant to give a realistic picture of the nature, and I think that it does it very good.

OFP Realistic? I can walk thru buildings!

Anyway i play games for fun not for realism because there wont be any games that are 100% Realistic its impossible

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Aug. 17 2002,12:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe you didnt have this experience yet. But did you ever climb on one of the tops of those mountains in the morning and enjoyed the far far scenery. THAT is OFP!<span id='postcolor'>

That is exactly what keeps me playing, that and the addons. Not to mention the community. I feel like the fighting matters in flashpoint, I don't get that with other games.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Aug. 17 2002,16:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP Realistic? I can walk thru buildings!

Anyway i play games for fun not for realism because there wont be any games that are 100% Realistic its impossible<span id='postcolor'>

so, theres a few clipping problems. also, if you havent noticed, OFP isnt about inside buildings combat. I never said a game had to be 100% percent realistic, but BF1942 is somewhere around 15%

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Aug. 17 2002,05:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpaceAlex @ Aug. 17 2002,04:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, i don't think the graphic are anything special. There are places where it looks like a cartoon, clouds are not moving. Same goes for the sun.

I still thing nogova looks better.  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Your talking cartoon but ofp trees and bushs are just paper

ofp graphics suck compared to battlefield 1942 , and you can swim in bf1942 unlike ofp

there will be submarines , you can take-off aircraft carriers use destroyers handle more then one gun on a vehicle (unlike ofp) it has less bugs, and if you crash to much to desktop consider buying a new PC  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

carlfinger.jpg

tounge.gif

Last but not least OFP does attract the right people. Look at us!

No, we are not all computer-neirds, no we dont need stupid clans to find friends, our forum members doesnt use the game as an instruction to liquidate an entire school, most of us can spell, construct entire sentences with subject-verb-object, some even served and know what they talk about, we are capable to contribute 170 pages to a political issue and we dont like real-life-loosers! And we dont post gg, ff, thnx, taiga-wuz...

The poeple make a game and this game is good! If you want to play with freaks join the other fori!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Aug. 17 2002,21:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Last but not least OFP does attract the right people. Look at us!

No, we are not all computer-neirds, no we dont need stupid clans to find friends, our forum members doesnt use the game as an instruction to liquidate an entire school, most of us can spell, construct entire sentences with subject-verb-object, some even served and know what they talk about, we are capable to contribute 170 pages to a political issue and we dont like real-life-loosers! And we dont post gg, ff, thnx, taiga-wuz...

The poeple make a game and this game is good! If you want to play with freaks join the other fori!<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wh@tz0r d1d j00 s@yz0r? 1'm n0t p4th3t1c! 1 d0n't n33d f3ck1ng 0nl1n3 fr1endz0rz!<span id='postcolor'>

Serious though, Bf1942 is just UT or QIII set in a WWII scenario. Okay, OFP might not be 100% realistic, but I like my games as close to the real thing as possible, and you'll have to agree OFP comes a LOT closer than Bf1942. And to add to that, I saw they had a Normandy Beach landing map (I saw some highly unrealistic looking LCVP's anyway and beach defenses, it could be the Italy beach landing too, ofcourse). Any rightfully sane man (woman *cough*sorry Avon smile.gif*cough*) would have to agree that the date that Europe was liberated was June 6th 1944, atleast, that's what I was always taught wink.gif. And to add to that the planes you can dowload and fly are highly unrealistic. Since when does an American P39 (which are just called Spitfires by the "airplanes enthousiasts" on the official forums) only have two machine guns? If my memory serves me correct, the P39N1 had 6 7.62mm machine guns and one 36mm(?) nose-cannon, the P39Q1 two 12.6mm(?) machine guns, two 7.62mm's in the nose and a 36mm nose-cannon and the P39Q10 two 7.62's and one 36mm (Most info taken from IL2 Sturmovik). Same goes for the Bf109 (what looks like one of the "F" series). I've never seen one with only two light machine guns in the wings. And the tanks are a laugh too. A PanzerVI Tiger with exacly the same specs as an M10 Wolverine? A PanzerIV with exactly the same specs as an M4 Sherman? People killing you with a pistol from miles away? No, I'm sticking with OFP, thank you very much. smile.gif

the aircobra's nose gun is a 37mmone of my grand uncles served as ground crew in indochina and he worked on aircobra's , he explained me that the french pilot where he was stationed prefered it to classic rockets

the 37mm caliber was the caliber of the light antitank guns during the ww2 (pak36/37 and american 37mm at gun , etc ....)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedStorm @ Aug. 17 2002,21:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Aug. 17 2002,21:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Last but not least OFP does attract the right people. Look at us!

The poeple make a game and this game is good! If you want to play with freaks join the other fori!<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wh@tz0r d1d j00 s@yz0r? 1'm n0t p4th3t1c! 1 d0n't n33d f3ck1ng 0nl1n3 fr1endz0rz!<span id='postcolor'>

Serious though, Bf1942 is just UT or QIII set in a WWII scenario. Okay, OFP might not be 100% realistic, but I like my games as close to the real thing as possible, and you'll have to agree OFP comes a LOT closer than Bf1942. And to add to that, I saw they had a Normandy Beach landing map (I saw some highly unrealistic looking LCVP's anyway and beach defenses, it could be the Italy beach landing too, ofcourse). Any rightfully sane man (woman *cough*sorry Avon smile.gif*cough*) would have to agree that the date that Europe was liberated was June 6th 1944, atleast, that's what I was always taught wink.gif. And to add to that the planes you can dowload and fly are highly unrealistic. Since when does an American P39 (which are just called Spitfires by the "airplanes enthousiasts" on the official forums) only have two machine guns? If my memory serves me correct, the P39N1 had 6 7.62mm machine guns and one 36mm(?) nose-cannon, the P39Q1 two 12.6mm(?) machine guns, two 7.62mm's in the nose and a 36mm nose-cannon and the P39Q10 two 7.62's and one 36mm (Most info taken from IL2 Sturmovik). Same goes for the Bf109 (what looks like one of the "F" series). I've never seen one with only two light machine guns in the wings. And the tanks are a laugh too. A PanzerVI Tiger with exacly the same specs as an M10 Wolverine? A PanzerIV with exactly the same specs as an M4 Sherman? People killing you with a pistol from miles away? No, I'm sticking with OFP, thank you very much. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

All those numbers are confusing me. tounge.gif

IL-2 Sturmovik is a good game.

i thin it's the p39's 37mm

p39008.jpg

i loved il2 simply because i could fly the aircobra , nothing better than rushing along with all your squadron a german panzer or transport column , dodging the 20mm and 88mm aa fire from the flak and empty all your gun's ammo on defenseless trucks cars and bikes , including 250 lb bombs

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Aug. 17 2002,22:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i loved il2 simply because i could fly the aircobra , nothing better than rushing along with all your squadron a german panzer or transport column , dodging the 20mm and 88mm aa fire from the flak and empty all your gun's ammo on defenseless trucks cars and bikes , including 250 lb bombs<span id='postcolor'>

i wish we could pilot the Pe-8 and drop the 5000 bomb

heheh yeah , i think i saw a track of a pe8 using the 5000lb bomb , big boom badaboom hehehe smile.gif it disabled an entire indstrial complex

one more thing : although the p39 can be used as fighter , it's really unpleasant to fight a german messerschmits group with it although its 37mm can disable almost anything flying

the single-player demo always froze and the multiplayer does too!

I just think that Starcraft showed to us that both sides can use different weapons and vehicules that are differently in power but still have a good and equal gameplay. What the hell, in bf1942 every tank is the same, every plane is the same....

Me and an (ex-) member of this forum (Fenna, maybe someone remembers him?) are (trying to) set up a new IL2 squad. It'll be a German bomber squad for the upcoming FB upgrade. We will be flying the Ju87B2 "Sturzkämpflugzeug" (Stuka) and the He111H6 medium bomber. We are deperately looking for new pilots (because now it's just Fenna and me.) So, if you're looking for a non-serious clan to just have a bit of ye goodde olde funne with, you can always join us. We'll need atleast one full He111 crew and two Ju87 crews. Oh, the name of our squad will be that of a Stuka squad that really exsisted back then. 4./St.G 2 (Sturzgeschwader 2). Just post here if you want to join. I know it's not the right forum, bu this talk about IL2 reminded me. Fenna and me only started planning about this new squad today, so its just in its "developing" stages. Anyway, let me know if you're interested. We desperately need someone who could make us a site too. Nothing fancy, just a few basic things in it, but we'll discuss that over MSN or something wink.gif .

EDIT: So we'll need at least 9 people. 5 for in the He111 and 2 for each Stuka. And you won't have to do anything special to be/remain in the squad, no mails or something you have to reply to or anything. Just as long as you keep posting in these forums (yes, these, flashpoint1985.com wink.gif so we can see that your still alive and not got killed in some terrorist attack on your car smile.gif)

yeah...i remember that...you guys had a thread where you posted all of *cool* screenshots biggrin.gif

like one where the tail wing got shot off, or when you got your left wing sawed off. tounge.gif

damn i'm old...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Aug. 17 2002,23:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yeah...i remember that...you guys had a thread where you posted all of *cool* screenshots biggrin.gif

like one where the tail wing got shot off, or when you got your left wing sawed off. tounge.gif

damn i'm old...<span id='postcolor'>

lol! Our gallery biggrin.gif

Too bad it got closed, it had some nice shots in which we flew Pe8's and stuff smile.gif .That was way back in version 1.00 of IL2 if I remember correct biggrin.gif

You need MSN biggrin.gif

We need to see how good you are at flying in formation. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Fenna @ Aug. 18 2002,01:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You need MSN biggrin.gif

We need to see how good you are at flying in formation. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yea, well this is concidering you have totally no skills at all. We can teach you how to do proper landings and takeoffs and all. But that's just for the "newbies". As long as you can properly fly in a formation it's ok. If not, it's not that hard to do anyway, it's easily taught smile.gif

Again, this is considering you have no skills at all. You may be way better than Fenna and me ofcourse smile.gif

PS. Hi Fenna biggrin.gif