Ranwer135

What Things Would You Like To See In Next Version?

That would probably require a redesign from the ground up to a certain level that you wouldn't see.

And that work would not make the game any more appealing to me, personally, since I have no interest in MP.

Multiplayer would be the big one for me, even if they just took the current game and brought it out as a multiplayer addon I would play this for hours with friends, as it stands though the same is an issue as with most games and that is the AI sucks.

No offence to Bohemia I buy all their games, but each time they put so much stock in AI, and as is shown over and over again AI works when certain conditions are just right (which usually aren't), or just flap really badly 95% of the time.

Overall it has a lot of potential and if MP was there the shelf life of the game would be a lot higher than its current form as with all things when you get bored of SP you play MP, and this could be a massive contender in the whole FPS/Strategy market, I feel that is all this game needed really.

Dale, BI did not create the game, they took on the project from another company; Black Element I believe (I think they went bankrupt or something)

Any news on the next beta version?

There's some improvements apparently, I'd quite like to see what has been done :)

Also - whatever happened to the "making of" video?

I'm still playing with version 1.04. I have never used any of the later patches as I don't like how it changes the game from reading all the posts regarding them. All I want is the carrier to be smarter in the strategy game. It needs to make better choices in which islands it chooses to initially colonize in the early stage. In other words it should be pursuing a strategy. And then as the game develops with both of us building our island networks, it needs to pursue a strategy that shows it has at least some idea of what I'm trying to do and adjusts its own strategy to counter it...perhaps even making moves on islands (neutral or my own) that force me to reconsider my strategy. Computer programs can play chess quite well...why can't the AI carrier make good decisions?

In the original game a premium was placed on being efficient with resources but also with time. If you took too long to capture an island the enemy could take two or three of yours (maybe more depending on their type) in the time you used. That should be a factor in this game too. I think it's there but not as prominent as the original.

The next "nice to have" would be a randomizer for the islands themselves. Once you've played a few times you become familiar with each island's strengths and weaknesses. Currently the game just mixes up where each island will appear on the network. It would be great if the islands could be randomized in their terrain, position of bases and defensive arrangements. The idea is to make it, "never the same game twice" or as close to that as possible.

I hope now that Arma 3 is gold there will be some more attention placed on CC:GM. I know this sounds like a dream but at the end of the campaign the character says, "The battle for Taurus...has just begun." It would be nice to see an expansion. Maybe the expansion could reinvigorate the sales of the CC:GM and improve on the code at the same time.

Edited by scrapser

If sales are an indicator for the possibility of a sequel, I guess the chance is really low. I believe CC:GM has sold most units during launch, when people didn't know about its broken state and they got burnt of it; and during Steam sales, where people dare to try a game reviewed 66 and with a long collection of complains in the forums only because the price is so low and they might have nostalgia of the original.

Had it been more successful, I agree this game could be improved and expanded in almost every way, facet and focus. See it just as a proof of concept of "How would a game from the 80's live on in the 2010's with a facelift and a few extra gameplay features thrown in?"

The game is, at heart, a game about driving mantas and walruses and fighting with them against the defenses of islands. That is what the original was, and that is what this one is. I think this game succeeded at being a remake. Nobody can deny that it does worse than the original at anything. What the game has failed at is at incorporating a truly modern strategic game (and launching with many bugs, some of them still there).

Even when the Strategic mode is called so, it has little of strategy in it. Defense islands in front, factories and resources behind. That's it.

If you feel for it you can believe yourself a Napoleon if you slice in two the enemy's network to maim it's production. Well, I don't think it will bother him much. He actually cheats all the time. He is never short on fuel, he actually doesn't have to fight and spend his units and weapon on taking islands (it's just a timer and then a die roll to determine whether an island is taken or not).

The game plays a "simulation" of the enemy carrier except when you are near him in the same island. In fact, all islands other than the one you are currently visiting don't even exist in the computer memory except in a compact form that isn't much more than Name, Defense level, Type and Owner. The rest is just dice rolls that the game does in the backstage, like a Game Master would do with most NPCs in a pen-and-paper RPG game.

It's not a strategy game if both players aren't following the same rules. You cannot outsmart your enemy if your enemy doesn't need to be smart in the first place.

The Strategic mode is there to fulfill an entirely different function; it provides a non-linear, open ended campaign, as opposed to the Campaign mode, that provides a linear, scripted campaign. In the end it's not much different than taking Starcraft linear campaign, then resuffling the missions at random and laying them around in a 2D map so that you can take them one by one at your own will and pace.

The island randomized sounds nice, but I have yet not seen a terrain generator that makes better-looking environments than those that are handcrafted. The islands in this game look superb (despite most graphic-wh§res complain about in the forums), and they show different interesting layouts. I fear a random generator would end creating a big amount of bland, repetitive islands.

I really hope for an expansion, but I think BIS attention will be elsewhere. If not on their beloved son Arma3, probably on the DayZ standalone (because zombies is what all cool kids play today) or the weird, super-niche Take On Mars.

I don't expect big things to happen. But since this game was developed in today's world of heavily scripted, online MMO games with very little if any creativity behind them...I figure it's worth talking about and holding out some hope. I've been gaming from the very beginning and have played games on just about every platform that has come and gone. I've seen how the whole computer gaming world was born, evolved, exploded into a massive collection of every type of game imaginable...only to implode and consolidate down into what are basically a handful of titles, each of which is essentially a brand being resold over and over as sequels. There are a few good games that come along every great once in a while but that's the exception. Those who never experienced what gaming was like back in the late 80's through the early 2000's will never understand and write off what I'm saying here as just someone who is old-fashioned.

It's a shame really. As the power and ability of computer hardware has grown exponentially...games have been going in the exact opposite direction. Extremely realistic games and simulations with sophisticated controls, stories, missions and environments were everyone's dream back then. And now that we have the hardware, the only thing that's actually been realized in the mainstream is...awesome graphics. All that most newcomers want today is some sort of instant gratification "follow-the-dot" game with built in social media capability where they can shoot anything that moves. The original attraction of gaming was lost somehow as the whole industry shifted.

That's life I guess.

I totally and 100% share your opinion.

Back then we didn't have the hardware to run our dream games.

Today people have devices 1000 times more powerful than back then, and they use them to play multimillion versions of Duck Hunt and throw angry birds through the screen.

On 7.4.2013 at 2:59 AM, Ranwer135 said:

G'day all. What things would you like to see in next version.

Ranwer

Clearly a different, more competent developer for this kind of game!

The only way to revamp this title would be the multiplayer feature.

I loved this game and I would play it again and again in a coop campaign with a friend.

I really hope Bohemia will develop a coop feature in the next future.

thank you.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:19 PM, iamsmiles said:

sooo has every one seen that there updating the official website

Yes, not sure what to make of it. It could be just a new design for the CCGM website, but with this game being dormant for so many years, why would they spend time and money on a new site for this game? Could be a new remake, but since this game wasn't a big success and left in an unfinished beta state for years, why would they do another remake? Then again, CCGM wasn't originally their game, so maybe they are coming back for another go at a new remake. There is definite potential for a modern remake without changing the core mechanics too much, so will be curious to see if anything develops.