Sign in to follow this  
StrongHarm

VIP CAS, a helo love story mission

Did you like VIP_CAS_ALPHA?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like VIP_CAS_ALPHA?

• I liked this mission! I'll fly it again!
    • It's decent.
    • It needs a lot of work...
    • This mission was anti-good.. what are you smoking?

If anyone here flys DCS, you've probably seen my name before. I'm really into sims, including Blackshark, and you'll find my name on the A-10Warthog credits as a tester and contributor. I got Arma3alpha a few days ago, and almost immediately started creating my own mission. I dig what they did with the helo showcase, but it left me wanting. Before you write this mission off as being written by a newbie, please note that I have created a lot of DCS missions, and I'm a programmer, so consider giving it a chance. Do also keep in mind as you fly this, that it is my first mission so take it easy on me. Regardless, I'm pretty sure you'll have fun with it, I know I have been! I'll be creating a multiplayer version after I've expanded the CAS missions out further.

Single Player Helo Mission: VIP CAS ALPHA

Highlights:

Combat Air Support

Very quick tense mission.. < 10min if you stay on task and you fly well

Sunrise mission on a very scenic and tactically interesting flight path

Script free.. single pbo file that properly uses flags and modules

- I put a lot of time into these and there are dozens of them

- Some modules weren't very well documented and ate my lunch

- Feel free to reuse anything you like

Realistic air base feeling (I'm a war vet, tried to simulate the feel of the base)

Repair/Rearm Area

Co-Pilot that automatically enters any aircraft you do (spotters are important!)

Mission-dynamic updated tasks/assignments/destinations

Mission-dynamic updated map markers and waypoints (simulate SADL)

Three teams of OPFOR moving together VERY rapidly toward objective

Lots of squishy targets for your Gatling!

FLASH MESSAGE

CLASSIFIED

FM 101-5-2

SUBJECT: COMBAT AIR SUPPORT, VIP

SITUATION:

An enemy mechanized division has been spotted 12 miles east at grid 038046. Intel assesses target to be a political VIP in Agia Marina. They're moving fast and we don't have ground assets that can reach the area in time.

TASK:

Take off and find that armored column.

Slow it down or eliminate it if possible.

//NOTE: more tasks spawn as the situation develops according to your successes and failures

SUPPORT:

Set current task to Rearm Refuel to locate the service pad.";

NOTE: If you want a real challenge, let OPFOR get all the way to the VIP compound. It takes them about 4.5minutes, so it may happen anyway if you don't take them out quick...

Mission File:

- http://www.strongharm.com/files/VIP_CAS_ALPHA.Stratis.zip (edit: fixed link)

Armaholic mirror:

- VIP CAS [ALPHA]

Edited by StrongHarm

Nice one mate ... and welcome to the Armaverse. Good to have you here.

Download is broken, I'm afraid.

Edited by Kremator

Excellent mission - no complaints, everything is working and you even got the task animations functional. Just completed it after a few goes without having to rearm - used 18 rockets in a single strafe run on the 1st objective and 6 well placed rockets did the bulk of the 2nd objective, with the 7.62mm minigun cleaning up the rest.

The TOD is perfect also and is a very good showcase for Arma 3's enhanced graphics.

The AH-9 annoys me that the rockets seem to always land below the reticule - makes it pretty hard to be precise - and it would be nice if the minigun was higher calibre but apart from that its a lovely chopper to fly. They seemed to have improved the heli physics since launch (might just be me but I noticed more lift and a slight ground effect). When you zoom it makes it almost impossible to fly and it becomes twitchy.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

Oh and commendations on the base feel (which is great) and the co-pilot auto entering the heli. The first time I was like wtf I don't remember there being another guy in here - but he is useful for spotting infantry which turn up on the minimap.

I would like to try this mission out with AH-64D Apache Longbow which ports straight in from Arma 2. It works almost flawlessly except for very minor issues like the shadow casting and some odd windscreen glare.

Very nice mission. And without scripts too, that's very commendable.

Good mission, especially if you need to practice flying. Had a hard time holding her (MH-9) steady but it was fun. Thanks.

I enjoyed this mission. I would like to see more like it. I look forward to future releases.

Ever since I finished this mission, I've been working on a new one.. more editor than eyelids.. arg. I'm really liking it so far.. it's a "Domination style" helo scenario. You can call in and ask for tasking and it sends you to support troops already defending one of 5 bases(random task, random strengths). You can radio request smoke on OF and BF, request strength updates and SitReps from the ground... and when you get to an AO it joins you up with a JTAC to talk you on targets. It's using SLP to spawn each area, then doing a cleanup after you're tasked to another area... so each battle is over a hundred troops, but the performance is still good. When true attack choppers come out.. I think this map is going to kick much ass. (as it stands, it's hard to get into heavy battles in the AH9.. I had to remove the machine gunners as they were taking me out quick at a mile heheh). Anyway, more to come, I think you'll like this one.

Exciting! Looking fwd to the mission. Any chance of releasing the editor files so we can add an AH-64D instead?

Next one is coming up.. it's OH so much better. I really dug into the code and added some great stuff:

* Dynamic spawns and engagements at random destinations

* Dynamic troop strengths so it's different each time

* Multiple engagements.. you get called to provide Combat Air Support in different areas (Domination style)

* PIP "UAV view" over each engagement

* Radio menu choice of FLIR

* Radio request full SITREPs from JTAC, with numbers remaining

* Request red/green smoke on BLUEFOR/OPFOR

* Really good refuel/rearm pads at different areas of the island

* CNC a mission if you want and move on to the next tasking

* Switch tasks with the JTAC and command the helo from the ground instead

* Switch to any JTAC at any engagement

* JTAC has realistic loadout of uniform and gear

* And a bunch of other crap.. but I'm too tired to think of it now.. must needs sleeping

Mission incoming within the next week.