Sign in to follow this  
rami

Need help optimizing basic.cfg (an Hetzner dedicated server)

I just can't keep it short... lol

Well I just rented my first dedicated server from Hetzner and I'm happy about it even thought I have no real clue on what the fuck I'm doing.

But I do like running servers for other games time to time, so I guess I'll make use of it other than for arma 3. (l)

When I placed my order it said Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Quad-Core but I noticed that I recieved an i7-3770 instead.

I'm not sure if this is something I should "complain" about ? Or if I should be happy about it.

Intel® Core™ i7-3770 @ 3.4Ghz

16 GB DDR 3 RAM

And 100mbit

And my plan is to run COOP missions for 20-30players with alot of ai. And I'm a big fan of whole lotta stratis by SaOk.

My basic.cfg looks like this atm and it worked well for me when I only had an 10mbit connection, got it from some other post long time ago. But now when I have a better server and a better connection than before I'm not sure what to do. Searched the forums and all it did was to make me really confused. Tried kellys heroes settings and then I read a post about lowering/increasing diffrent values, so I've been doing that all night long but no luck for me. So many people say diffrent things so its hard for a stupid guy like me to understand. I know the mission can be heavy with diffrent mission parameters. I got some problems with desync, especielly when someone new join and spawns in , the desync gets up to 100000 :/ But we never get disconnected. Hm. :P

It barely use any CPU atm.

So what I'd like is someone to help me out and optimizing my settings to make sure my server have an good basic.cfg that handles alot of ai and 20-30 players! To actually make use of the CPU and connection that my dedicated server have.

MaxMsgSend=5120;

MinBandwidth=5242880;

MaxBandwidth=10485760;

MaxSizeGuaranteed=256;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed=64;

MinErrorToSend=0.0025;

MinErrorToSendNear=0.005;

MaxCustomFileSize=0;

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=1;

Resolution_W=0;

Resolution_H=0;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Windowed=0;

Sorry for bad english or bad explaining. And for all the text!

And Thank you, to who ever helps me out.

Edited by Rami
forgot something

Hi, below it is my config for A3 xeno domination - 20 players and about 250AIs for each Main Target. I do have 100mbits. NO desynch, lags, etc. As you see I removed maxsizes and found it to work the best.

MaxMsgSend=8192

MinBandwidth=100428800;

MaxBandwidth=104857600;

MinErrorToSend=0.005;

MinErrorToSendNear=0.0099999998;

MaxCustomFileSize=2920000;

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_W=0;

Resolution_H=0;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Windowed=0;

serverLongitude=20;

serverLatitude=52;

serverLongitudeAuto=20;

serverLatitudeAuto=52;

regards, Pawel

Edited by PawelKPL

One of the first things you want to do is to create a new admin name and disable the admin user(always use an encrypted password which is very complicated and write it down!), especially if your using RDC, also read this and follow its rules as it will save you the heart ache of having attacks and change it to another port.

http://computerworldhelpline.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/how-to-change-listening-port-for-remote.html

Hi, below it is my config for A3 xeno domination - 20 players and about 250AIs for each Main Target. I do have 100mbits. NO desynch, lags, etc. As you see I removed maxsizes and found it to work the best.

MaxMsgSend=8192

MinBandwidth=100428800;

MaxBandwidth=104857600;

MinErrorToSend=0.005;

MinErrorToSendNear=0.0099999998;

MaxCustomFileSize=2920000;

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_W=0;

Resolution_H=0;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Windowed=0;

serverLongitude=20;

serverLatitude=52;

serverLongitudeAuto=20;

serverLatitudeAuto=52;

regards, Pawel

the settings you set will use 6000 megat bit.

how is this even working?

the math used

512 maxguranted *256 maxnone * 8192 maxmsg * 20 clients * 50 frames

that formula is per BIS dev.

There was an advise in the Arma 2 setups not to set the MinErrorToSendNear less than a centimeter which comes to no less than 0.01.

I am not sure if this advice carries over to Arma 3. I suspect it does.

the settings you set will use 6000 megat bit.

how is this even working?

the math used

512 maxguranted *256 maxnone * 8192 maxmsg * 20 clients * 50 frames

that formula is per BIS dev.

I know the formula but reality is reality and I have found that config working best and believe me I have 4 years experience with hosting arma 2 domination server for 20-30 ppl with tonnes of AI. without lags and desynch. One more thing , as you see I do not have maxguranteed and none enabled. You can try hosting domination for 30 ppl with 300-400 AI and you can dream to run server at 50FPS - My server runs at 15 fps all the time. What I have found more - minerrortosend has biggest impact on server data transfer and server fps. You can check yourself... or join my arma 3 alpha server.

Edited by PawelKPL

You do know that MaxMsgSend=8192 is per client.

So if running at 15 fps you sending 122,880 messages to each client

Edited by johnsm

You do know that MaxMsgSend=8192 is per client.

So if running at 15 fps you sending 122,880 messages to each client

As I've told you formula is formula, running with this settings server uploads about 300-400Kbs to each client when running heavily modified domination with 300AIs. After 1 week fight and free all 8 Main Targets server statistics log shows about 150,000-200,000 messages have been sent totally. One more thing - no lags no yellow / red chains...

I am wondering about the Bandwith settings too. The Server is not using the calcaulated Bandwith.

I played with this settings to.

Fact is:

Your Settings and your performance depends on the mod you are running, the number of objects and players.

Bandwith is not the bottleneck of a dedicated server.

The Bandwith is the CPU.

Atm i am integrating a performance monitoring solution to my arma server, because every advice is a little bit like "It feels better than your setting".

I am hosting a wasteland servere. I have no desync, laggs or frame problems at the clients or the server.

I am not following the advice. The configuration felt a little bit like lottery.

I am wondering about the Bandwith settings too. The Server is not using the calcaulated Bandwith.

I played with this settings to.

Fact is:

Your Settings and your performance depends on the mod you are running, the number of objects and players.

Bandwith is not the bottleneck of a dedicated server.

The Bandwith is the CPU.

Atm i am integrating a performance monitoring solution to my arma server, because every advice is a little bit like "It feels better than your setting".

I am hosting a wasteland servere. I have no desync, laggs or frame problems at the clients or the server.

I am not following the advice. The configuration felt a little bit like lottery.

You are absolutely ritght.

I've been running B.I servers since OFP, 10+ years now and every new engine release raises questions about bandwidth configuration.

The information on the wiki is in some cases incorrect and misleading.

Servers with similar hardware and running similar setups use completely different bandwidth configurations

I have seen calculation formula defined and no end of example configs

Most of it is guesswork and heresay.

For A2 I tried to start a project up to deal with this issue, it kind of fizled out. I intend to retry this and at some point in the very near future will start a thread up to try and sort this out much like I did for the Dedi server tutorial thresad.

The information is not forthcoming from BIS.

Maybe if we try, they may "help" with more detailed info.

WTF! Thank you Dwarde!!! I planned a XenServer Infrastructure (Wanted to host some more servers and i love citrix products) on Hetzner Servers. I got the Licenses, checked the performance and wanted to order TODAY.

One of the Reasons was: Complete switched Networks, Offers to secure the management traffic and so on.

But if they are not able to secure their own server, than i cant trust them.

Thanks for the Information!!!

Terox: When my new servers (seems that i have to look for a new hoster) are running, than i will try to support you: PM me, if you are interested.

I think we will get it managed to give performance advices for standard arma.

I dont we will will be able to give advices for highly customized mods like wastelend. It depends on the number of cars, corpses, the cleanup scripts and so on.

Terox, quite some stuff is wip, so cross your fingers the goodies are done asap and work :)

Terox, quite some stuff is wip, so cross your fingers the goodies are done asap and work :)
looking forward as usual. Thx Dwarden

Looking forward to it too.

I still got my headache for my 3days server settings

offtopic: please note that Hetzner's customer data were compromised : http://www.h-online.com/security/new...d-1884574.html

Hi there,

(offtopic first)

i am a fully satisfied Hetzner-Customer for mainly Businessstuff for years.

And i guess, most of you will pay their OnlineBills via PayPal too - so this is an extra "safety"instance, which the actual "attack" doesn't cover - as far as i can read out of the German end English Articles. On the other Hand, a company as big as Hetzner HAS TO publish such attacks, while (i guess) most of smaller Services wouldn't even notice OR tend to say "shhhhht nothing happend" ...

On Topic:

As i am not fully satisfied with my actual Arma3 GSP

(many of you joined my CTI server already and also have seen massive performance loss in the past few days, due to - it seems - GSP running too many instances/other games on same Node)

i decided to buy a Rootserver on my own. Of course at Hetzner ;)

i7-2600 Quad-Core Prozessor, 16 GB DDR 3 RAM and 2 x 3 TB SATA 6 Gb/s HDD, on 100mbit dedicated Connection.

As soon as i have it up and running Vanilla, i will join sharing the expiriences with my settings.

Terox, maybe we could PM to define a "standard" on what / how / Tools / Maps / Settings to test?

At the moment, i can not believe that a Server with above Specs, fully dedicated to a single Instance of Arma3 with, lets say 48 to 64 Players and about,...100-150 AI,

has not enough Capacitys to run smooth.

And as soon as we managed to find out whats the maximum Settings and stuff for 1 Instance - it should be a little easier to divide / setup for multiple instances.

Edited by Blue1

Offtopic:

WTF! Thank you Dwarde!!! I planned a XenServer Infrastructure (Wanted to host some more servers and i love citrix products) on Hetzner Servers. I got the Licenses, checked the performance and wanted to order TODAY.

One of the Reasons was: Complete switched Networks, Offers to secure the management traffic and so on.

But if they are not able to secure their own server, than i cant trust them.

I wouldn't jump too hard, if you take a look at any company they have been hacked, the fact that it happened to hetzner means nothing as unless they are on a LAN they will get hacked multiple times in the future.

The fact that such a good hacker has done it to hetzner means that they are doing something right.

Also the hackers took personal information and robot account information (a server browser control panel), give me one company today which doesn't sell your personal information for money to third party members, so hackers got only what they could get anyway if they paid for it.

In regards to the bank account information they got the last three digits of my bank card, I wouldn't count that as a victory tbh.

If you make your decisions on who's been hacked then count out anyone with any credibility of having a good service, as thats primarily why people would hack it, including bohemia interactive studios.

Good services or systems are hacked because they are good, not because they are bad.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150766-WARNING-Bohemia-Interactive-web-pages-affected-by-Java-insecurity-at-18-03-2013

Edited by Dale