Sign in to follow this  
Sneakson

Elite suggestion: not being able to see your ammo

I think there should be an option to deactivate the ammo counter in the HUD!

Instead players would have to count their shots or visually inspect their magazines to determine their ammo count.

The basic suggestion is just removing the text displaying how much ammunition remains in your current magazine from the HUD.

Instead players would have to count their shots and visually inspect their magazine to determine their ammo remaining. An example of how this would be done is that holding a key would temporarily unload the magazine from the weapon and hold it in the player’s vision allowing him to determine how much ammo remains in the magazine or displaying some visual element such as an exact number or inexact bar once this is done to aid in quickly being able to determining the approximate amount at a glance.

As a suggestion holding “R†could temporarily unload your magazine and have you inspect it while the key is pressed but since ArmA currently doesn’t support binding holding a letter to a command it could be just about any command really unless this kind of support is added. Other examples could be double-tapping R (currently also does not work well as this reloads the weapon) or Ctrl+R. It should naturally also be able to be toggled using another keybind should players wish so.

It could be taken even further by also removing the numbers indicating how many spare magazines and grenades players have, possibly only beyond their first one so players would always know if they have spares and just not how many, in which case players would have to check their gear in order to determine exact amounts. And finally the HUD simplification could go even further by even removing the weapon name, ammo name, firing mode, zeroing distance and grenade type by having these only be visible in the gear menu, directly on the weapon or in the most important case of grenades perhaps by your character briefly holding up the grenade to his face each time you toggle grenade types or by a minimalist visual indicator. Something similar.

Note that this should be an option and not mandatory! It could be toggled just like third-person view and many other options though if player support for this being mandatory on Elite difficulty I would think that sounds most appropriate.

I'm aware that there's already 1 request up for removing the ammo counter but this suggestion is substantially more detailed.

A feature request created here:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=6841

By the way I remember some game having this system before but I can't remember which... anyone knows?

Previous games in the series had removed hud elements in veteran and elite difficulties, so I wouldn't bother making it a feature request as it will be in the game on full release anyway.

;2365940']Previous games in the series had removed hud elements in veteran and elite difficulties' date=' so I wouldn't bother making it a feature request as it will be in the game on full release anyway.[/quote']

Not only game in the series had an option to hide the ammo count, that was always anchieved by mods.

And yeah I tottaly agree; Actually I don't even know why that is present in the first place.

By the way I remember some game having this system before but I can't remember which... anyone knows?

Red Orchestra 1 and 2, in the second one you can check the mag weight.

I think the approximated bar next to the magazine in the inventory menu would suffice as a 'weight check'. Just remove the HUD element and make you check your Inventory to see how many you have left.

Not only game in the series had an option to hide the ammo count, that was always anchieved by mods.

And yeah I tottaly agree; Actually I don't even know why that is present in the first place.

Red Orchestra 1 and 2, in the second one you can check the mag weight.

I haven't played those. I was thinking it may be the Alone in the Dark demo I played ages ago... or something such anyways.

I haven't played those. I was thinking it may be the Alone in the Dark demo I played ages ago... or something such anyways.

Try it, is on Steam's Free Weekend.

ACE does this very well. Also, I don't know if it could be done in AIII, but it'd be great if it was possible to actually see (on the model) how many bullets are left in transparent mags.

ACE does this very well. Also, I don't know if it could be done in AIII, but it'd be great if it was possible to actually see (on the model) how many bullets are left in transparent mags.

Why couldn't it be done? Why couldn't anything be done? They made several games with cars, tanks, aircraft, helicopters, ships, submarines, UAVs I think and all sorts of weapons and there's gonna be a view distance of 20 km (sure is better than Morrowind)!

Surely they could make transparent mag models. Basically that's how I think it should work but if it just held up a static mag in the bottom right corner of the screen and displayed a number would also be acceptable.

This exists in retail Armaverse. Army of the Czech Republic DLC for Arma 2. The main rifle is a CZ-85 (or somethign) and all of the variants have transparent 30rnd magazines that you can see the bullet count. Its actually one of the best things about the DLC (which all in all is about a 7/10 - so great if you are into Arma).

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Here you go - just took these screenshots for your benefit.

http://s15.postimg.org/ifioroqwa/fullmag.jpg

nearlyempty.jpg

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

This exists in retail Armaverse. Army of the Czech Republic DLC for Arma 2. The main rifle is a CZ-85 (or somethign) and all of the variants have transparent 30rnd magazines that you can see the bullet count. Its actually one of the best things about the DLC (which all in all is about a 7/10 - so great if you are into Arma).

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Here you go - just took these screenshots for your benefit.

http://s15.postimg.org/ifioroqwa/fullmag.jpg[/url]

http://s10.postimg.org/bsgiagoug/nearlyempty.jpg

and the real steel for comparison

http://www.czub.cz/cz-photo-gallery/cz-805-bren-a1/CZ_BREN_805_A1_30.jpg (292 kB)

I completely agree. If most of us will end up getting ACE which hides it why not have it set as a default?

Hell, why not just hire the ACE devs and add all the stuff from the mod into the base game.

Because as much as you, a guy who posts on the Arma 3 forums, loves ACE it is simply too hardcore for the majority of Arma 3 players. They've implemented features inspired by ACE2 into Arma 3 anyway like fatigue and incumberance.

if bis made this game for the majority, it'd be a call of duty clone.

anyway, this is a difficulty option, which are customizable. so if an "arma 3 majority" player doesn't like it, he doesn't have to turn it on.

Basically it's very important to keep all these features in the actual game and not just mods because a lot of people will never get into modding for any of several reasons -- in addition to all other negative sides of modding like compatibility and whatever etc.

It's just not "Hey everyone are gonna use it so why not set it as default", it's more like if everyone will like it and it's not in there by default only a quarter of the players are even gonna find it.

Ive wanted the ammo count thing, like in red orchestra, in the ARMA games. Its realistic, and keeps you a bit away from the fighting. (One of the things i feel about ARMA 3, is that people are too much involved in combat, and not doing other things like supporting teammates and doing other things.(im sure not even 10% will understand what i mean :P) )

It should also be visualised, if you carry 4 magazines on you, it should be possible to just look down on your body, and they should be there, same with grenades.

I agree things that keep you out of combat or give you something to do out of combat are nice. I could sit all day repackaging magazines and not giving a fuck.

Great suggestion, voted up.

The G36 has this since ArmA2 and yep, it's a nice detail. The model.cfg of the weapon itself looks pretty crazy. Every single bullet is animated, cluttering up the config.

Yeah like that idea,just add X/clip in the HUD when you play with no HUD.

Right now you can cheat and see your ammo count when you change your fire rate or scope range ...

The G36 has this since ArmA2 and yep, it's a nice detail.

I can remember one in Arma that had it as well. Awsome fun watching them while shooting.

It's a shame nobody ever really liked it. Maybe because it came out late, but some of it's content is sweet.

In real life you can check, thare's the magazine weight etc.

this game on elite will be harder than real life

In real life you can check, thare's the magazine weight etc.

this game on elite will be harder than real life

This is how is done in Red Orchestra 1\2 and ACE2. Problem?

This is how is done in Red Orchestra 1\2 and ACE2. Problem?

First post trolls. There's heaps of them.