emoglobinsky

EM_buildings - new buildings

nice! the way you added dirt detail to every single brick on the wall almost makes up for you not using a normal map yet (or maybe a very lite one). really nice paint job there. keep it up man! once we get more info and updated tools for terrain making you will see this being used by a lot of people on their terrains.

After some HARD redo, i manage to get a functionnal building, with proper collisions, proper shadows and no error.

I encountered lot of problems with shadowvolume, i read somewhere that it should not exceed 1000 tris, and my shadow mesh is still around 2300, no way to lower this. :/ But it seems to work, so idon't know what to think.

If you can, you could take the static part out of the main model and turn it into a proxy, then give the proxy its own shadow. The two should still stack but not count on the main model.

You shouldn't be having problems with the shadow LOD however...during a test I went up to 3K tri's.

I think you may also have some open faces judging by small stretching lines.

Great stuff, I think more people like you are needed.... Is there a way to make sure the buildings wont "flicker" like in LOD changing, depending on object details in settings? I wish all new building be like this, no flicker at all, I guess it may be possible...

If you can, you could take the static part out of the main model and turn it into a proxy, then give the proxy its own shadow. The two should still stack but not count on the main model.

You shouldn't be having problems with the shadow LOD however...during a test I went up to 3K tri's.

I think you may also have some open faces judging by small stretching lines.

I would love to hear more about that "proxy method". Right now, the building seems ok but any knowledge is good to take ;)

Great stuff, I think more people like you are needed.... Is there a way to make sure the buildings wont "flicker" like in LOD changing, depending on object details in settings? I wish all new building be like this, no flicker at all, I guess it may be possible...

I'm not sure what you're talking about... I have only one LOD as primary geo model so no flickering, but that could change.

I'll post a screen of a new building soon.

He's not seeing any disturbing "flickering" (LOD changes 0,1,2..) ..because (if i got it right) you have set only 1 resolution LOD (aka "0")

Usually..BIS models have more than +2 extra resolution LOD's (aka simpler constructions with lesser poly number) for optimizing performance -and "flickering" is move visible-BUT..it's the way to go if you are planning dense (real-like) compounds/villages/towns

Would love to see a small map with a ton of these buildings for some sweet CQB.

Just foundmyself some motivation to restart working on this "project", with further search and better documation, this what i made :

(right now, its just a simple model + roadway, but i'm understanding how works rvmat so now i should be able to produce better assets)

9554676332_20fdf75a20_n.jpg

9554676604_6e1f195dd9_n.jpg

9554676458_3d95e19934_n.jpg

really well done Emoglobinsky. I really like the ammount of detail you did put into it.

Looking nice !! I can imagine some great urban warfare with these buildings .

So many talented people here , I'm sure the game will reach the sky within 6 months :)

i was thinking about you the other day and was hoping to hear from your project. that looks fanatastic. keep it up.

Keep it up ,

Next time you have no Motivation com hre and say , we can give you motivation ,Building makers are a very rare commodity and very welcome to this Game seris , yo can be more famous than Opteryx and Agent smith ( only two major buildings packs i can think of ) if you pull this one off or infamous if you drop it lol ;)

or infamous if you drop it lol

shhhh. don't frighten him. we need him. ;)

That first image you linked to in the OP, I've seen that building (apartment) before. I think it was PR:BF2 but could've been another mod... played so many of them over the years.

Thx for the kind words all ^^ didnt expect so much attention !

SG_Smokintodd, you right the first post was an attempt at the building in map "Bog" i think, in Call of Duty (don't know wich one), but anyway i deleted it long time ago !

To be honest, the current building is also from a FPS game : http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/test/60/6097/Battlefield-3_Test_01.jpg and that's because i want to create a set of building that aims to create a CQB gameplay. Right know, i'm still in R&D about feasibility, techniques and documentation ^^ and i hate BIS tools.

Shadowlod Test done : due to the fact that only ground floor, first and third floor + rooftop are walkable, i gain a lot of vertices in my shadow lod. I've got a lot of error in my pbo log file (mainly ST error for points, and a message that says shadows disabled :X) but everything seems ok ingame.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2822/9562130076_f896d287de_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3761/9562130292_00fdafa989_o.jpg

+ a color ajustment, because i hate the way arma engine cast sun... It's terrible and awful ! It makes everything pink and orange. I neef to find a way to customize lighting in mission editor.

+ a color ajustment, because i hate the way arma engine cast sun... It's terrible and awful ! It makes everything pink and orange. I neef to find a way to customize lighting in mission editor.

In days gone by it was the Terrain rvmat that effected the light in position , maybe (guess) you are placing building on a piece of grass land or similar try when building is placed where concrete or even setdammage another building to 1 and place it where that should be

pure guesstimate :) maybe Max Power or similar can qualify or expand