Required game: Arma3: Alpha (dev)

=================

Tested with Arma 3: Alpha version 0.53.103696

Required addons:

=================

none

Description:

=================

Frustrated that beaching a boat would make it unusable, I decided to start pushing them around. Then I started pushing around cars. Then quads. Then containers. Then stacks of bricks... you get the idea.

This addon adds the ability for players to push vehicles and objects in the direction that they are looking.

There are two versions: Module version and a Script version. See below for installation.

In version 2.0, I add the ability to push or kill people if you are close enough to them. You can turn these features on and off. See below.

NOTE: This version completely replaces version 1.0. If you have that installed, please delete it before installing version 2.0

Example Video for version 2.0 here (demonstrating new additional features):

Example Video for version 1.0 here:

Features:

=================

Ability to push around vehicles and objects.

Ability to push people.

Ability to kill people.

Ability to turn these features off (for people).

Changelog/known bugs:

=================

v. 2.0 = SECOND RELEASE RENAMED TO "PUSH AND KILL" (04/03/2013)

v. 1.0 = INITIAL RELEASE (03/17/2013) - DENEGRATED

KNOWN BUGS:

=================

1) If you stand too close to an object you are moving, it will damage you (it hits you).

2) Only the following classes can be pushed: AllVehicles, Thing, Object. Some objects don't fall within these categories.

3) On soft surfaces like sand, some objects can be thrown quite far (like trucks)

4) Helicopters can't be pushed - they just seem to take damage

Installation:

=================

INSTALLATION (MODULE):

0) Delete @PUSH-FEINT folder

1) Copy @PUSH_KILL-FEINT to Arma3 folder

2) In game, activate @PUSH_KILL-FEINT addon

3) Restart Game

4) Go into Editor

5) Add Push module

6) Add player

7) Add vehicle

8) Preview Mission

9) Go into Options > Controls > Keyboard > Custom Controls

10) Set a key for "Use Custom 11" (TIP: I set mine to Caps Lock)

11) Use that key to push the vehicle (once per second)

INSTALLATION (SCRIPT):

(see included mission for details)

EDIT: If the mission doesn't work, here are the steps to make it work (to be tested & confirmed):

• Make a new mission and save it.
  • Copy everything from the original mission folder (folders, init.sqf, description.ext) and place into your new saved mission.
  • Play and enjoy.
  • Follow instructions in the readme to turn on and off the push and kill functions for people.

TO TURN OFF PUSHING OF PEOPLE:

If using Module version, open the module and in the "init" line add the following:

player setVariable ["cantPushPeople",1,true];

(note: You will still be able to kill people if you only turn off pushing.)

TO TURN OFF KILLING OR PUSHING OF PEOPLE:

If using Module Version, open the module and in the "init" line add the following:

player setVariable ["cantKillPeople",1,true];

(note: You will still be able to push people if you only turn off killing.)

Credits:

=================

Credit for textures goes to Feint

Sound effect was a free download for non-commercial use

The Arma2 community is full of very helpful people and without them, this addon would not have been possible. On this particular project, knowledge I gained while working on my Underwater Diving Module and Aerial Refueling Scripts really helped. Please see those readMe files for specific people who helped me along the way.

Disclaimer/License:

=================

By use of this addon, you agree to the following:

Any unauthorized modification and re-release of the released files is not allowed without written permission by the author(s).

You are using these files at your own risk.

Author(s) of those files are not liable for any damage or loss of data caused by use of these files.

Usage of these files is prohibited for any commercial purposes.

DOWNLOAD HERE:

PUSH_KILL_BY_FEINT_V_2.rar

MIRRORS:

news_download_a3_3.png

Push & Kill ver 2.0 (Arma 3 Alpha)

Edited by Feint
  • Like 1

Feint this is awesome mate !! In one fell swoop you have satisfied the knife-wielding maniacs out there.

Well done mate. I wonder what else we can push ?

Feint this is awesome mate !! In one fell swoop you have satisfied the knife-wielding maniacs out there.

LOL, thanks my friend. I read this other thread and got scared as people really feel strongly about this "melee" thing. But Smookie said he would help out with animations if anyone was willing to take on this subject. That's something I'm hoping he can follow through with as this little script of mine could really be expanded with additional features if I only had the animations to support them. I'd really like to implement a "grab and hold" option to grab another unit and hold onto them. Then that could be followed up by a take-down move, a release or some other simple and fast option. I would equate it to someone else's suggestion of having control over the reload process where you reload the mag with "R" but then you have to release the bolt with another key. It adds immersion.

Of course, if I do that, we have to then make blocking animations and other defensive moves so players would be able to defend themselves. Eventually it turns into Assassins Creed with attacks, defends, blocks, etc. Where does it end? ;)

nice concept :)

well done will try it also asap

arma 3 defenetly needs more of those interactions

Could you add that if you push a Man, it increases the KnowsAbout to max? Would make sense :) Is there a way to finetune the push strength for SP? Currently it's a bit too much for my taste. Otherwise, very nice, especially for the stranded boats and offending pieces of furniture blocking the way...

Could you add that if you push a Man, it increases the KnowsAbout to max? Would make sense :) Is there a way to finetune the push strength for SP? Currently it's a bit too much for my taste. Otherwise, very nice, especially for the stranded boats and offending pieces of furniture blocking the way...

In the other thread, we talked a bit about getting some info on weights of vehicles and other objects. I'm not sure that's something that's been implemented by BIS. I have seen some config entries that look something like weight, but I'm not able to figure out how to get a hold of that info via getText. So until I can figure that out or someone else can tell me how to figure it out, I'm afraid I'm keeping the values as they are at the moment. I like your knowsAbout idea. That's a good idea. I think reveal might work better. I'll test it out and see what happens.

EDIT: Just tested it with reveal and it works really well. The AI bolts around like, "What? Who pushed me?!"

I'll add it to the next release. Thanks again.

Edited by Feint

Ehh, theres no knife.. I'm not satisfied ... LOL

Feint, This is GREAT...

LOL, thanks my friend. I read this other thread and got scared as people really feel strongly about this "melee" thing. But Smookie said he would help out with animations if anyone was willing to take on this subject. That's something I'm hoping he can follow through with as this little script of mine could really be expanded with additional features if I only had the animations to support them. I'd really like to implement a "grab and hold" option to grab another unit and hold onto them. Then that could be followed up by a take-down move, a release or some other simple and fast option. I would equate it to someone else's suggestion of having control over the reload process where you reload the mag with "R" but then you have to release the bolt with another key. It adds immersion.

Of course, if I do that, we have to then make blocking animations and other defensive moves so players would be able to defend themselves. Eventually it turns into Assassins Creed with attacks, defends, blocks, etc. Where does it end? ;)

That would be sweet!!!! with the grab and hold you could use the enemy as meat shields.. I just had an armagasm about the Idea of using an enemy for CQC meat sheild

Am I right when thinking this opens for a gravity gun mod in ARMA III? It's possible in the engine?

Am I right when thinking this opens for a gravity gun mod in ARMA III? It's possible in the engine?

I could make a zero point energy module for fun if I ever run out of things to work on. I guess it would have to be an attachment to a rifle like a laser pointer or a flashlight, right? I have no idea how to do that part.

Here are the steps I'd use...

1. use addaction or keystroke to get distance between player and cursorTarget
  2. if distance is less than say 25 meters...
  3. setVelocity of cursorTarget to something that would send them toward you repeatedly
  4. if cursorTarget is a man, make them ragdoll somehow (I have no idea other than killing them)
  5. get bounding box of cursorTarget somewhere during this time or before
  6. if boundingbox of cursorTarget intersects boundingbox of player
  7. cursorTarget attachTo [player,[whatever],"righthand"];
  8. use addAction or keystroke to "throw" currently attached object away from you using setVelocity on the attached object

Edited by Feint

This looks great, well done. :)

Yes mate, ever since your "push" vid, I thought of HL2 Gravity Gun. Would like to test the limits of A3 and see what is possible.

Good work with everything so far :)

I probably won't make one, Das Attorney, so you should if you want to. I think it would be fun to play with and a "light" version could be useful for stacking ammo boxes or something.

Thanks for the kind words and thanks to you for your help all these years. I still use a lot of tricks that you taught me.

I only said/did stuff off the backs of others (giants) :)

I'm sorry though, didn't want to usurp or distort what you were saying. Really inspired by what you're doing and was idly speculating on gravity etc.

Here's to many more years of modding collaboration for all :)

This works for me in Arma 2 as well, but until @Feint confirms that it is o.k for use in Arma 2, try it at your own risk..

Seems fine though..:)

Great addon Feint, truly impressive :)

pushing is awesome, though I can't figure out how to kill people..

Can AI use this script 2? E.G. a unit you get to close to can do the same to you?

You have to set the userkey11 (its in Options>Controls>Custom I think).

Having AI use it on players would be good too !

INSTALLATION (SCRIPT):

the mission.sqm you have in your package is already to old to be opened in editor.

Would like to see what are the parameters you use to call your script.

Would appreciate if you could send me an updated version with the last dev version.

Thanks

This works for me in Arma 2 as well, but until @Feint confirms that it is o.k for use in Arma 2, try it at your own risk..

Seems fine though..:)

Hmm, I didn't think that the cutscene animations would be in both A3 and A2. That's cool. I'll do some testing to confirm your findings.

Can AI use this script 2? E.G. a unit you get to close to can do the same to you?

Negative for now. I'll think about adding the ability, but I'm not sure how. Maybe an addaction for them? That would enable a player to command an AI unit to go up to a person and kill them, but I'm doubtful that the AI would ever be sneaky enough to get that close without either being shot or shooting the enemy soldier in some sort of AI overriding command mode. I know I've ordered AI to hold fire and to be in stealth mode, and they've still opened fire on enemy soldiers. I guess they felt they were compromised.

I could delve into AI programming with FSM files and stuff like that, which could be a lot of fun, but honestly, that's a LOT of new programming knowledge I would have to gain in order to enable a behavior that might or might not work. There are experts out there that develop things like ACE2 and SLX mods that know about AI programming that might be willing to take this request on. But I'll add it to the wish list because it would be cool to see.

INSTALLATION (SCRIPT):

the mission.sqm you have in your package is already too old to be opened in editor.

Would like to see what are the parameters you use to call your script.

Would appreciate if you could send me an updated version with the last dev version.

Thanks

In 24 hours the mission is now unplayable? Ug. Well, until I get a chance to look at it tonight, and if BI hasn't removed any commands that I'm using, here's what I would do:

• Copy everything from the original mission folder (folders, init.sqf, description.ext) and place into your new saved mission.
  • Play and enjoy.
  • Follow instructions in the readme to turn on and off the push and kill functions for people.

The only thing I did in the mission is add the variables to triggers to show one possible way of turning on and off the pushing and killing of people. They were basically:

player setVariable ["cantKillPeople",1,false];

and

player setVariable ["cantPushPeople",1,false];

set to radio triggers along with counterpart triggers to setVariables to nil.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

pushing is awesome, though I can't figure out how to kill people..

Make sure you have downloaded version 2.0 and are using that. Delete the previous version if you haven't already which had a different @FOLDERNAME.

It should work the same as pushing objects. You just go up to a person and "push" them with the same userkey you set up in your options. If it's not working for you, please give me more details including what sort of mission you are setting up in the editor and any steps you are taking and any error messages you are receiving in the latest rpt file.

Edited by Feint

What?! Can you imagine the horror stories being created at giving AI such godly powers as PUSH? You think Co-op/PvP grief is bad...

Great mod btw :)

• Play and enjoy.

It's more the push vehicle script that i'm looking for. I would prefer having a CallScript to add to vehicle initialization so that players can push those specific vehicles only. (pressing the mousewheel "PUSH" action like in your movie)

Just wondering if this would be doable instead of having players install the "@mod" ?