Sign in to follow this  
^Th0mas^

So the driver AI is actully better this time?

After doing some testing with the AI driving I have to say its a good improvement over ArmA II. This was probably my biggest complaint in ArmA II. Slow driving, horrible driver path finding and the sound of cars crashing.

Do you agree that the driving is better?

Driving AI seems to be a little better for the most part, at least when they're on their own, but convoys still suck.

Driving AI seems to be a little better for the most part, at least when they're on their own, but convoys still suck.

Didn`t test convoys yet. I was hoping the new engine would help to solve this issue. :\

1 car --> better.(mor reactive) but some problem to make U-turn when the road is not large (across building).

convoy --> I have try 1 time and it is not better (perhaps IA configuration problem (formation type --> line)).

let see a convoy creation on Arma 2

Edited by gonza

Wonder why this isnt higher up on the issue tracker.

Wonder why this isnt higher up on the issue tracker.

Most people don't seem to notice such subtleties because the AI don't spend much time driving in convoys (in the average mission). The higher voted AI issues on the tracker are about how they are too accurate and can walk/shoot through walls, because this affects everyone.

The AI does OK when driving along a road. But put them in a field and prepare for utter frustration and rage.

In one of my first missions I had a couple of Ifrits at Camp Maxwell and wanted them to drive down the hill onto the road. 99% of the time they would hit a rock or a tree before even getting half way to the road. You'd think the AI would figure out how to back up and drive around the obstacle but NO. These guys would either keep driving against it or just give up and stand there and do nothing. I eventually gave up and placed them on the road myself.

I found that driving in a convoy is alright, as long as you limit their speed, have them spawn in formation column and put your waypoints along a road. My convoy of 5 reaches their destination about 8 out of 10 times.

Eh I wouldn't say that. Single car may move better on roads but only because it seems to ignore everything in front and slightly around it. Which results in it just smashing through the infantry that may cross the road in front of it.

Likewise in ArmA2 AI was too anal about that and if it spotted a friendly even 5m away from the road it would just stop and rethink its route.

Need to find the golden middle here I guess.

Hope they fix this before the final release, because I remember people nagging about this when doing reviews.

Marks out of 10 for ai driving in A2 ‘7-8’ (on road).

Same for A3 ‘7-8’ (again on road).

What would help:

Better map design for roads and tracks, or should I say placing of objects adjacent to roads and tracks.

New speed between limited and normal would be nice.

I used the SLX 'ai_steering' pbo in A2, that helped, so maybe they have come on a little, as it is un-modded in A3 (at present)..

:)

friggin ai driver, got stuck on the bridge with a hunter.

Marks out of 10 for ai driving in A2 ‘7-8’ (on road).

Same for A3 ‘7-8’ (again on road).

What would help:

Better map design for roads and tracks, or should I say placing of objects adjacent to roads and tracks.

New speed between limited and normal would be nice.

I used the SLX 'ai_steering' pbo in A2, that helped, so maybe they have come on a little, as it is un-modded in A3 (at present)..

Or just make decent AI that handles the driving? I had no issues with the driving in Operation Flashpoint, but the reason for that was the driving was more scriptet than dynamic. I know its still a beta, but there has been almost zero improvements over the first games, and this is starting to be a big deal. Its a war simulator, and we should expect ai that CAN drive.

A AI driver that keeps banging into a stone 100 times kinda ruins the fun in battle.

Also, when im in a fire fight, its actully not that fun when a allied car runs me over.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

I made a thread in the general ArmA II folder about one year ago. The developers actully commented on fixing the driving, but I wonder when its happening. I have now bought the disc versions of ArmA II and OA AND the Steam version of the same game, along with the deluxe version of the A3 alpha just to donate more money to the developing.

ChrisB, are you using any AI mods on the ArmA 2 AI videos on Youtube?

ChrisB, are you using any AI mods on the ArmA 2 AI videos on Youtube?

Yes, all modded..

Yes, all modded..

With ASR AI Skills? I got the idea somewhere that you like the old Group Link mode the most.

vehicle AI is still crap! try it with 3 cars in a column and let them follow you in the lead car! DISASTER!

@Th0mas

GL4, SLX, Zeus, TPWC suppress & LOS, ST Movement/collision, SMK lite, these are the main ai behaviour/tactic mods I use. Not full mods but a selection of pbo's from each, that best suit the game play I want..

No ASR ai.

I'd have to say I don't see any real improvement, I guess it can depend on where they are and what's around them.

The frustrating part is that you spend ages sorting them out and getting it to work, a few days later when you try again it's become completely messed up.

One issue I noticed today was that when playing as gunner/commander.

The front of the hunter had gone into the sea (AI driving) but when I give him orders to reverse he tries for a second and gives up.

If I switch to drivers seat I can reverse with no problems.

What is it like if you set the convoy to safe & compact column formation? Any better?

I think they are worse, they run over teammates even more now...

Also, when im in a fire fight, its actully not that fun when a allied car runs me over.

Now if you were playing a Brit in that fire-fight the car would be American…

O.k., o.k. its just an observation..:o;).