gpha5e

Is there a way to limit framerate in Arma 3?

like that maxfps command we can see in other games

Uh... what rig you have you need such feature? :)

'Vertical Sync' option will limit to 60fps

vsync limits to whatever your refresh rate of your monitor is and there is ZERO benefit to limiting FPS below your refresh rate so just use vsync

Well if you find an ingame way to limit fps let me know.

I prefer to run all my games with frame limiters. A consistent framerate is better than a higher but wildly fluctuating framerate.

I run msi-afterburner, it has a frame rate limiter 1-200, just set it and go. If its set to zero it has no limit.

So you can completely max out all your favourite settings in Arma3, that includes vd to 12,000 and still get +125 fps, could always limit that down :rolleyes:.

Oh you will need to get 'dbo_afghanistan' for A3, to do that though. Advantage of that is, you can be flying, have the 12,000 vd and still be seeing mountains for some time. Great place to practice those aircraft manoeuvres, tactics and attack..;).

This terrain was good for air battles in A2, now in A3, well..

Seriously though, fly around there in the mountains, take along a Cessna, at 12,000 vd, with the mountains shrouded in clouds.. nice…

When ingame, press SHIFT plus NUMPAD MINUS then type FPS.

1st time you enter the code it will be 40FPS, repeat the code for different FPS limits.

You can set the limiter to 40FPS, 20FPS, 10FPS, 5FPS and no frame rate limiter.

Edited by StevoAU
  • Thanks 1

Nvidias adaptive vsync is working really well for me.

Raise your VD to 12k I´m pretty sure that will really limit your FPS^^

Raise your VD to 12k I´m pretty sure that will really limit your FPS^^

Lol, best way to limit your FPS :)

Stupid question from new player: How can i see FPS in ARMA III? :confused:

You'll need an external application to display fps like fraps or Msi afterburner

Okay. I have Afterburner already. Gotta learn how use it in while playing the game. Cheers!

I don't see the point of limiting FPS tho...

Someone care to explain the benefits?

Power consumption comes to mind. Also to get a more consistent experience, limiting to 40 feels smoother than having 90s in some places and frequent drops to 40 in others.

For example my graphics card goes pretty loud when throttling...

Power consumption comes to mind. Also to get a more consistent experience, limiting to 40 feels smoother than having 90s in some places and frequent drops to 40 in others.

But it will never be constant anyway. It will always go lower than what you have set.

Power consuption will be high anyway as the CPU is getting pushed.

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

For example my graphics card goes pretty loud when throttling...

There should be an option for 'passive cooling' where it will reduce power instead of using the fan. (whats the point of having a good graphics card if you don't want to use its full potential???)

But it will never be constant anyway. It will always go lower than what you have set.

Power consuption will be high anyway as the CPU is getting pushed.

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

There should be an option for 'passive cooling' where it will reduce power instead of using the fan. (whats the point of having a good graphics card if you don't want to use its full potential???)

The maximum FPS preset doesn't scale the FPS, it just sets maximum value to it. If the absolute minimum FPS ingame is 40 FPS, then he will have constant 40 FPS if he has set the maximum FPS to 40.

Throttling means exactly that kind of "passive cooling". It reduces the power / frequency of the processor in order to reduce the temperature of the components and/or to reduce the power consumption of the component.

One reason why one would limit his/her FPS could be recording for e.g. Youtube. If I've understood right, the most formats (if not each of them) are converted to 30 FPS, so recording and and uploading the video in constant 30 FPS would result in maximum smoothness of the video.

How to limit the FPS in EDITOR ?? my GPU always runs at 70% with 1400 FPS !!!

How to limit the FPS in EDITOR ?? my GPU always runs at 70% with 1400 FPS !!!

MSI-Afterburner will limit fps.

As mentioned, alternatively nVidia Inspector and AMD is working on their dynamic frame rate control. They might implement it in 15.xx drivers. Why we don't have frame limiters in driver control panels from both manufacturers since, I dunno 15 years ago, is beyond me.

Enable Adaptive V-Sync in the Nvidia control panel.

I would like to stuck the game in 30 fps because i run others tasks in background and its, may be, a way to limit the game use of resources.