Sign in to follow this  
das attorney

Jump MF - basic mod to unlock vaulting animation

If you're trying to jump with pistol equipped it instantly changes to a rifle, and in the end of jumping anim, you get a rifle changing to pistol animation.

Normally, I'll just post a changelog when releasing an update, but I wanted to go into a bit of detail so as to avoid confusion.

WTF Missing anims! ;)

if you do the vault jump with a hundgun, the character switches to the primary for the jump and the immediately back to the hundgun when he touches the ground... Quite funny actually!
If you're trying to jump with pistol equipped it instantly changes to a rifle, and in the end of jumping anim, you get a rifle changing to pistol animation.

Thanks for pointing that out guys. I hadn't actually tried to jump with a pistol (launchers and unarmed is also broken as well btw). It's quite a bad bug but seeing as animations don't exist for jumping with a pistol/launcher/unarmed (pointed out by Feint), the best I can do is switch off the ability to jump if you are not currently equipped with a rifle.

I did try the following anims which should be the right nomenclature, but nothing happens:

_p switchMove "AovrPercMrunSrasWpstDf";  // In theory this should be for pistols - Doesn't exist
_p switchMove "AovrPercMrunSrasWlnrDf";  // In theory this should be for launchers - Doesn't exist

I'm tired

Also, I've been chatting with Bad Benson by PM and he gave me some advice about the fatigue system. (which was very generous of him). I put in some of his suggestions, so now the ability to jump is governed by how tired you are and how much equipment you are carrying. As a general guide:

Rifle + a few clips = 5/6 jumps before exhaustion

As above plus armour, pistol and grenades = 3 jumps before exhaustion

As above plus launcher = 2 jumps before exhaustion

As above plus full backpack 1 jump before exhaustion

Sprinting adds extra fatigue so amount of jumps you can do is reduced if you want to sprint and jump.

Obv, go and have a play with this and get back to me here if you feel this is too lax (or if too restrictive).

Newton rolls his eyes

I noticed that when you jump, the speed of your avatar is reduced and only will travel forward irrespective of your motion (to me in a really weird arbitary way). So I wrote a little script that plays while you are jumping to preserve your initial momentum. I hope you like this as to me it makes it a lot better.

Example: Run forwards and left and jump. Result: normally, you will lose your momentum to the left and jump in a straight line ahead. Now you will retain left momentum so jump in the direction you are actually running.

Also, this means that the faster you're running, the longer you will jump for.

Tactical Face, Tactical Pace

New change as suggested by someone a couple of guys many people earlier in the thread. When you're at tactical pace, you now use the default stepover instead of jump. I like the suggestion so I thought we could run with it.

Why you no like me?

Re: compatibility. I try and make everything mod agnostic, so I don't have to depend on too many other mods and I don't interfere with other mods. IMO, CBA should always be used for this sort of thing though to ensure compatibility with other mods (eventhandler stacking and so on).

Other things...

I'm checking if there's anything I can do about the camera when you land, but I haven't found a way of adjusting this (yet).

Also, I did check out Defunkts suggestion about using inputAction but I couldn't get it to work without problems so I've had to put it on the back burner for a little while. Maybe there's something I can do about double bindings, but will need to do more investigation.

Anyway, here is changelog:

v0.3 Changelog:

[CHANGED] - You can only activate the jumping anim if you are equipped with a rifle

[NEW] - Custom fatigue system - thank you Bad Benson!

[NEW] - Custom momentum system when jumping

[CHANGED] - You can no longer jump when in tactical pace

Dropbox download updated on first post.

Edited by Das Attorney

Thanks! Great work and great explanation. I can't wait until its polished to the point where the avatar jumps and then falls over and yells "Medic!" at the point of exhaustion. :)

So this anim is going to be part of the game officially later?

My only fear is that with a full fledged jump animation bunny hoppers would start crowding servers...

Yay!

Except the foundation of bunny hopping is snap reaction controls and endless stamina, even with it's control improvements arma is nothing like counter strike, like this (start at 0:27)

Edited by NodUnit

Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us about the update :cool:

Third time lucky! :) (I'll try and be more on the ball from now on).

Thanks! Great work and great explanation. I can't wait until its polished to the point where the avatar jumps and then falls over and yells "Medic!" at the point of exhaustion. :)

You got me thinking about sounds man. There's no sounds at the moment when you land. Maybe we can do something about that...... :)

So this anim is going to be part of the game officially later?

It's almost as if BI carelessly left an animation in there for us to test with no responsibility to themselves....

On topic though, I think if you like the idea of having a jump function/don't like the idea of having a jump function, then register your thoughts through the feedback channels. :)

Personally, I think it would be totally awesome, as long as we can't bunny hop everywhere like idiots. :)

Except the foundation of bunny hopping is snap reaction controls and endless stamina, even with it's control improvements arma is nothing like counter strike.
You're right, with the latest version of the Mod the fatigue now prevents this...

Anyways I never thought at this animation as an actual jump, since the height and silhoutte of the soldier remains more or less the same: I was more preoccupied by a more "classic" jump (something I don't think we'll ever see in the game)...

Yay!

In the interests of realism, I wanted to show you guys the new version of Bunnyh0p unlimited jump s1mulat0r. Been working really hard on this update:

Edited by Das Attorney

It's almost as if BI carelessly left an animation in there for us to test with no responsibility to themselves....

On topic though, I think if you like the idea of having a jump function/don't like the idea of having a jump function, then register your thoughts through the feedback channels. :)

Personally, I think it would be totally awesome, as long as we can't bunny hop everywhere like idiots. :)

Hmm, I guess it wouldn't make sense not to include it. Anyway, it's very sweet that you have had it unlocked for us in the meantime. :notworthy:

To be honest mate, thanks for giving me the time of day and messing about with the things I'm doing. No better compliment than hearing someone else is enjoying themselves with stuff I've been involved in :)

In the interests of realism, I wanted to show you guys the new version of Bunnyh0p unlimited jump s1mulat0r. Been working really hard on this update:

Made me laugh so much, is it possible to still jump while in sky dive? Can you fly through the clouds? Maybe pooping some smoke color?

Made me laugh so much, is it possible to still jump while in sky dive? Can you fly through the clouds? Maybe pooping some smoke color?

Lol yeah, we'll be able to pop multi-coloured smoke and sky dive through sky-lights to kill terrorists with inertia-proof MP5. I thought having flying power would be too much but maybe there is a place for it. Imagine swooping in, just to hose them down with unlimited ammo and land next to their corpse like some Hollywood movie. In bullet time. Awesome! ;)

In this new 0.3 version you are able to turn view during the animation - it resets to center only in the beginning of it. In 0.2 it was stuck from the beginning to the end. So i guess it's an improvement =). As for fatigue dependence - didn't like it, imho 1.7 second timer was enough. And still it breaks when using it with STHud - I wonder how I'm the only one with this problem. I reset all controls to default, disconnected joystick, but still problem remains =(.

In this new 0.3 version you are able to turn view during the animation - it resets to center only in the beginning of it. In 0.2 it was stuck from the beginning to the end. So i guess it's an improvement =). As for fatigue dependence - didn't like it, imho 1.7 second timer was enough. And still it breaks when using it with STHud - I wonder how I'm the only one with this problem. I reset all controls to default, disconnected joystick, but still problem remains =(.

How is it broken? Please give some steps how I can try to recreate your problem Maxy. These are early days for A3 and such inconpatibility is to be expected but I will obv do everything to ensure I don't break other mods. Also, if you have problem with fatigue, please elaborate why you don't like it. I can't make any adjustments if I have nothing to go on.

Just so you know, I have made no adjustments to the camera for turning. If anything has changed, it is either something in the Arma 3 beta, or something at your end.

I thank you for your feedback, but hope to get something we can both work with out of it.

Cheers.

How is it broken? Please give some steps how I can try to recreate your problem Maxy.

Currently I'm using only three mods - CBA, STHud and JumpMF. When all three of 'em are on, freelook stops working and it becomes like there's an infinite aiming dead-zone is on, but only for a vertical movement. I press alt for freelook and while I can run and do all other stuff (shoot, vault, etc), mouse movement has no effect -camera just looking straight forward. If I'm turning STHud off all works fine. But the thing is Gliptal said that he cannot reproduce the issue.

Also, if you have problem with fatigue, please elaborate why you don't like it. I can't make any adjustments if I have nothing to go on.

Since there's no clear indication of how fatigued you are and whether you can sprint/jump right now or not, sometimes it gets frusrating - you're standing behind the wall, knowing that there are enemies around the corner, you want to reach another cover, thinking that all you need to do is to get to that another wall right in front of you. But there is a fence in the middle. You're thinking "okay, fast pace to fence, jump and I'm home, baby" You start running, pressing V right in front of a fence... and what is your avatar doing? He stops, does this awkward slow stepover thingie and BAM!!! you're dead =))). So, i guess, the main problem is that you cannot tell for sure if you can jump right now or not. Since its much easier just to disable fatigue dependency on jump then to add some fatigue indicators or something, I think it's better without it.

Currently I'm using only three mods - CBA, STHud and JumpMF. When all three of 'em are on, freelook stops working and it becomes like there's an infinite aiming dead-zone is on, but only for a vertical movement. I press alt for freelook and while I can run and do all other stuff (shoot, vault, etc), mouse movement has no effect -camera just looking straight forward. If I'm turning STHud off all works fine. But the thing is Gliptal said that he cannot reproduce the issue.

Check you have the correct (latest) version of CBA.

Ha, this is a clever unlock :P

I went ahead and found this in the animation viewer and added a jumping script into my hostage rescue mission (it is synced between all players too! :D)

BTW, it's a pity at how immature the community is (I saw the comments on ArmAholic) to jump straight to "THIS IS TO COD AND BF".

I defended you of course - makes no sense to try and limit people's imagination (especially when they don't contribute anything to the community...)

Edited by zooloo75

Haha, you should try adding a speed modifier to the player, sprinting can literally cause you to die and ragdoll off into the sky.

Had some fun with your addon tonight, Das Attorney:

Best vid Ive seen in ages, Das that should get sticky in post one, great advert for your mod.

oh GOD! please someone slap the person that made the mod. hahahaha lol.

Thanks for the video Feint - have updated the first post, much appreciated. :)

There will be a new version very soon with some cool anim workarounds by Bad Benson (he da man)!

I might make the stanima dependancy a bit less/ drop it. What do others think of this? Nobody's really posted (only one person) about the stanima issue. Maybe everyone doesn't mind, or hates it too much to comment. Visual indicators were mentioned but tbh I'm not too keen on them. Maybe I should put up a poll.

With your "Bend the spoon" opening -I thought for sure you'd plug in your PUSH module and show us some real matrix powers while free running :p