Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

Suppression Effect missing in ARMA3

Yeah but in ArmA3 if I'm not getting hit that means the dude most likely blindly fires into the general area or is a very bad shot or simply has a worse and a shorter gun and a lower magnification scope than me.

If I have a better gun producing less bullet drop all it will take for me is pointing at him and shooting.

Have you asked yourself why everybody prefers to run around with sniper rifles whenever possible? The issue plaguing vanilla since OFP mind you.

In reality nobody can hit a guy 400m-500m away as effortless as you can in ArmA3 so if we can't have humidity, rain and wind affecting bullet curve at least there should be a suppressive fire to make combat not a dull shooting gallery.

Honestly, I find sniping in this game easier than in arcade FPS games. That's a problem imo.

Honestly, I find sniping in this game easier than in arcade FPS games. That's a problem imo.

We have a setHumidity command, why not have it affect bullets?

We should not I trounce the unrealistic feature that arcade games force on snipers. But instead aim for using realism to make it tougher. Like wind, humidity and other factors.

We have a setHumidity command, why not have it affect bullets?

We should not I trounce the unrealistic feature that arcade games force on snipers. But instead aim for using realism to make it tougher. Like wind, humidity and other factors.

Well, yeah, I agree. I'm just saying that it's very ironic that it's easier, and by easier, I mean easy, not hard at ALL to snipe in this game. Honestly, it's easier than using rifles.

Well, yeah, I agree. I'm just saying that it's very ironic that it's easier, and by easier, I mean easy, not hard at ALL to snipe in this game. Honestly, it's easier than using rifles.

Vote up for many simulSetHumidity affect bullets realistically: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=15738

One thing the "why should everyone be forced to react the same" party should keep in mind is that suppression effects do not force you to do anything. If you want you can still try to calmly snipe enemies that already shooting at you. It will simply be harder and more dangerous (need more time to line up shots = more exposure). This is not unlike reality where I can only imagine it is also harder to return accurate fire while under accurate fire. I see it as very reasonable. Other than that, what smurf said.

It is pretty easy. Wouldn't go as far as to say easier, but it could definitely be made more difficult. Things like humidity and wind will only effect ranges over 300 metres or so and even than it will only be a matter of pressing a few extra keys to adjust the sight for it. Its the weapon handling itself that needs to be made more complex.

I would be really interested in what exactly most people here are defining suppression fire as. Is this a group of players firing at another group? One vs. one? Are you keeping up a steady barrage of fairly accurate fire? Are you one dude shooting really fast at a tree that another dude is hiding behind?

One thing the "why should everyone be forced to react the same" party should keep in mind is that suppression effects do not force you to do anything. If you want you can still try to calmly snipe enemies that already shooting at you. It will simply be harder and more dangerous (need more time to line up shots = more exposure). This is not unlike reality where I can only imagine it is also harder to return accurate fire while under accurate fire. I see it as very reasonable. Other than that, what smurf said.

It is pretty easy. Wouldn't go as far as to say easier, but it could definitely be made more difficult. Things like humidity and wind will only effect ranges over 300 metres or so and even than it will only be a matter of pressing a few extra keys to adjust the sight for it. Its the weapon handling itself that needs to be made more complex.

I think you sorta missed my point...

If you are a sniper you should ready be out of the effective range of short gunners. If not you are acting as a DMR more so than a sniper similar job different methods. Next if you are being engaged by multiple enemies as a sniper your doing something wrong. You are supposed to engage enemies on your terms, and the training and the reasons for those schools is to learn/ asses the ability to mitigate stress. It is proven the "special types" manage stress differently..what does all this mean for a video game? nothing but a common trend as of late is to generalize the capacity of character to that of normal non conditioned behavior. It puts a barrier between the player and the world. It will make it less immersive but more cinematic. I get annoyed when my player starts huffing and puffing when climbing a little hill with minimum gear, its just as annoying not being able to sprint at will. Just to counter the same argument no matter how smoked you are if you need to haul ass, you find it and do it there is no "cool down" till you can run fast again. Think of it along those same lines, and even if we did what constitutes being suppressed? 1 guy? 2 guys? platoon? company?

i am very wary about imposing psychological effects to players. I know very well that suppression is an important part of war tactics, but even moreso is morale, so it has even more sense introducing broekn morale to players and force them to flee, because you usually dont end your battle by killing each and every soldier standing, but forcing the enemy forces to scatter. This is even more basic and important than the role of suppression in shootings.

moreover, sniper can also suppress whole platoons, and with a few bullets, forcing everybody to hide by shooting from our of range. How are you going to simulate that? It's okay imposing psychological maluses to AI, but i wouldnt want to apply them to human players.

i am very wary about imposing psychological effects to players. I know very well that suppression is an important part of war tactics, but even moreso is morale, so it has even more sense introducing broekn morale to players and force them to flee, because you usually dont end your battle by killing each and every soldier standing, but forcing the enemy forces to scatter. This is even more basic and important than the role of suppression in shootings.

moreover, sniper can also suppress whole platoons, and with a few bullets, forcing everybody to hide by shooting from our of range. How are you going to simulate that? It's okay imposing psychological maluses to AI, but i wouldnt want to apply them to human players.

Yeah, it's an old discussion :) and people either like it or dislike it. Very rarely will one decide to change their mind :) each argument has relevant points.

For me, I'm in favour of it, for gameplay reasons. Because we cannot simulate true fear, we don't bother. Instead, we give the player an alternative reason to use cover. That reason being that they are temporarily lessened in skills, making them unable to pixel-snipe their suppressor with a cool mind (which you can do if you're just playing a game ;)) It shouldn't prevent you from making any return fire, just cool collected accurate fire.

It's not fear, but it is an ingame mechanism to make players act in a similar fashion. They can choose to ignore it if they wish, but they will be temporarily lessened in effectiveness, so why bother?

Opponents to the idea usually express that they're roleplaying the fear in any case, no-respawn games mean that they really care for their avatar, and I guess that's a valid point. But for general gameplay purposes and the promotion of teamwork, I think player suppression effects work.

Yeah, it's an old discussion :) and people either like it or dislike it. Very rarely will one decide to change their mind :) each argument has relevant points.

For me, I'm in favour of it, for gameplay reasons. Because we cannot simulate true fear, we don't bother. Instead, we give the player an alternative reason to use cover. That reason being that they are temporarily lessened in skills, making them unable to pixel-snipe their suppressor with a cool mind (which you can do if you're just playing a game ;)) It shouldn't prevent you from making any return fire, just cool collected accurate fire.

It's not fear, but it is an ingame mechanism to make players act in a similar fashion. They can choose to ignore it if they wish, but they will be temporarily lessened in effectiveness, so why bother?

Opponents to the idea usually express that they're roleplaying the fear in any case, no-respawn games mean that they really care for their avatar, and I guess that's a valid point. But for general gameplay purposes and the promotion of teamwork, I think player suppression effects work.

Agree, particularly if the shooter is AI, specifically because the AI does not try to suppress the player in the same way that a human opponent does.