Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Cold War Rearmed² - Public Beta

just a question:

why did you release as SP some missions from CWC campaign?

I dunno if I'm right, but I will just have the feeling to make twice the same thing - in SP and in the campaign.

Well, in the Beta they have their handguns back. However if there are problems with that, we can remove them again real quick.

Haha. No one tells me nothin'.

In the "ammo low" mission in the campaign. How am I supposed to take out the second wave of tanks? I put satchels in the road, but they don't follow the road into the valley so it makes it hard to predict.

EDIT: Do the missions and campaign get updated on Sixupdater or do I have to manually download them?

Edited by Bullet Purveyor

just a question:

why did you release as SP some missions from CWC campaign?

I dunno if I'm right, but I will just have the feeling to make twice the same thing - in SP and in the campaign.

The SP missions from the CWC campaign, e.g. Incursion or Counterstrike are from the very early days where we released them as bonus missions. The campaign missions are a bit different now. You're free to trash the old missions of course if you want to.

I hate to ask what is probably a really old question, but where can I find what the OP refers to as Mikeros cwr2ofp? I've googled it and can't find anything other than the posts themselves.

In the "ammo low" mission in the campaign. How am I supposed to take out the second wave of tanks? I put satchels in the road, but they don't follow the road into the valley so it makes it hard to predict.

EDIT: Do the missions and campaign get updated on Sixupdater or do I have to manually download them?

In previous mission I stacked my squad full of RPGs so I had plenty of rounds. There is also supply crate at beginning of Ammo low. I set my squad in bushes and trees ~500m away from HUD marker and positioned my self ~100 away from marker. Put some extra RPGs on ground in bush next to me. When convoy arived I took out first T72, took cover behind it and ordered my squad to open fire on infantry. PKM machinegunners took them out with ease. I still had T72 for cover and when second wave arived it was just peek and shoot. If you plan to stick around to stack up on gear watch out for infantry fire team that attacks later on.

Alright, first off, I'm having a blast playing through the Resistance Campaign, really well done.

I have a few minor things to report; RPGs do not seem to do much damage versus helicopters. I hit a flying MI24 twice with a RPG7 but it kept flying. Also, your soldiers ranks do not update. All of my soldiers are still alive from the first mission, but they're all still privates, while vikki is a sergeant. There are still some weird things happening in cutscenes, for example Victor sitting next to James (trying to get his binocs to look at the bridge) jerking his gun up and down crazily. And sometimes the subtitles seem to fade out too quickly, but that was something Flashpoint did as well.

And I had the same issues as the above posters about the weapons not carrying over and backpacks and stuff, but that is being fixed already so thank you :)

Edit: I forgot to add that since the rpg7 rockets have been updated, the AI seems to aim above target, missing most of the time. I think they are still counting on the missile to drop a bit more during flight.

I hate to ask what is probably a really old question, but where can I find what the OP refers to as Mikeros cwr2ofp? I've googled it and can't find anything other than the posts themselves.

The pbo is already included in the Mod (cwr2ofp.pbo). What it does is replacing the old classnames from OFP missions with CWR² ones. So in theory it allows you to load and play old missions without replacing the classes. However, from my experience 99% of all OFP missions nowadays must be edited so playing them 'out of the box' isn't possible. But still the pbo makes working with these missions a lot easier.

I just want to report that after overwriting my CWR2 with the updated configs posted by W00le a couple of days ago, all my issues with Viktor's gear restrictions seem to have disappear.

However I also want to report that my RPG comrades seem incapable of hitting anything this side of a barn door (they seem to overshoot), so I have to do all the work which seems somewhat unrealistic.

I can also confirm that I've hit an Hip-8 with 2 RPG-7 and she kept on flying fine.

So could someone check that the updated ammo for the RPG-7 hasn't somehow messed with the AI's range-finding and/or accuracy?

Also I ordered one of my comrades to "Heal at Field Hospital" but instead of entering via the entrance he went round the side and stood there for a while before declaring "Negative".

Thinking it might be a path-finding issue I then ordered to the front of the hospital and repeated my order only for him to repeat is refusal.

Just as I was about to punish him for subordination a platoon of Russian conscripts introduced me to the widow maker.

So could someone check the field hospitals?

Finally is there any way to over-ride the 1200m VD?

In previous mission I stacked my squad full of RPGs so I had plenty of rounds. There is also supply crate at beginning of Ammo low. I set my squad in bushes and trees ~500m away from HUD marker and positioned my self ~100 away from marker. Put some extra RPGs on ground in bush next to me. When convoy arived I took out first T72, took cover behind it and ordered my squad to open fire on infantry. PKM machinegunners took them out with ease. I still had T72 for cover and when second wave arived it was just peek and shoot. If you plan to stick around to stack up on gear watch out for infantry fire team that attacks later on.

The first convoy is ok. I did the same as you. The problem was the tanks the russians send in to support. They just take a random path over the mountain instead of following the road. So setting up an ambush was pretty hard. I got them in the end though.

The T-72 drove over a tank mine, took 3 RPG hits and and finally the crew jumped out when I hit it with my RPG-75. The tank was still not totally destroyed!

Maybe tone down their armor a tad Wolle?

Please check out this new weapon and armor configs:

http://cwr2.arma2.fr/files/cwr2_nightly/cwr2_weaponcfg_08-Apr-2013.zip

http://cwr2.arma2.fr/files/cwr2_nightly/cwr2_tankconfigs_08-Apr-2013.zip

Weapon config has also my quick Rocketlauncher test mission included.

LAW/RPG-7/RPG-75 all have the same parameters.

Under good/perfect conditions the Tanks need below rocket hits until they explode. Under field conditions and esp. fired by AI more are needed of course:

BMP1/2 : 1 rocket

M113 : 1 rocket

ZSU : 1 rocket

M2A2 : 2 rockets

T-55 : 2 rockets

M60A3 : 3 rockets

T-64 : 3 rockets

T-72 : 3 rockets

M1A1 : 4 rockets

T-80 : 4 rockets

bloodthirsty, war vet, Victor's advice regarding "ammo low" campaign mission:

THE VALLEY, when on the mountains, perfect possition for ambushing the ones who are bellow you...

Well, 1 mine and 3 satchels... Since they missed them, I triggered satchels, and they damaged T-72, crew bailed out, BMP-1 was hit with a wolley of RPGs from my guys, and I wanted to save it for more ammo...

The convoy:

Try to immobilise (hit the tracks to force crew bail out) T-72 and BMP-1, not destroy them, same goes for Urals too.

Now that would give you some good things, you can get in T-72 as a gunner and blast away the incoming T-72 and BMP. For hardcore fans you should know how to drive a tank with 1 side of the tracks destroyed, so you could possition that crippled T-72 anywhere.

Not destroying BMPs is vital for resuplying ammo, same goes for those Urals and you can take SVD from 1 of them.

Also, in that mission there is 1 soldier with AK-74GL, just need to kill him.

We don't use any fixed terrain details settings in our campaigns/missions, only a fixed view distance of 1200.

Why did you decide to limit the view distance? And more important, how do I enable higher VD?

The view distance limitation is there for a reason: as the original missions were set up in a time when machines could not very well handle the game with large view distances units are at times placed within line of sight where a lower view distance would not reveal them to enemy AI, but which would show up if it is increased. This can cause problems as AI decided to target and destroy units that it is not supposed to be aware of yet, and break the missions. Capping the view distance makes conversion feasible without introducing additional complexity and room for undocumented features by coming up with other solutions for such problems introduced by upping this limit. By keeping it simple and stupid one can attain higher reliability for missions. Sightseeing of the islands can best be done in the editor and not in the missions.

Regards,

Sander

Alright, I finished the Resistance Campaign, here are a few things I've noticed:

The mission where you have to destroy the choppers on the airfield did not end by itself, I had to use the [shift - endmission] cheat thing. ( I did get the outro camera)

The briefing of the mission where you have to assault Lipany contains a weird sentence ("try not to avoid a lot of damage")

The outro camera of SP26 shows an empty field, and it doesnt show that you finished it in the menu.

Oh and in the cutscene where Guba orders the tanks to shoot Vikki, the tanks are not aiming for Viktor, but just shooting randomly all around them. It looks a bit silly.

I also would like some more rpg7 and rpg75 rockets to be available in the gear section of the briefing every mission. For some reason I never had enough, and when I spawned, there were some ammo crates within a hundred meters which did contain them.

In SP20 the notes show something weird, it says "%s, %s %d" instead of briefing

There is no water in the fountain of the big house where you have to fight the enemy before you get to the enemy base in the ruins (sorry, I don't know which mission it was lol)

The ambient life and people sometimes don't know where to drive, I've seen them drive through the desert on a tractor, drive over mountains in a trabant, herds of cows in the desert near the airfield and tractors parked on the runway of the airfield.

If driving a V3S, your hand is in a very awkward position in first person.

If you order AI to pick up a backpack, the backpack is gone in the next mission. (I would love it if I could store some extra ammo in my teammates backpacks)

The artillery fire in the bridge assault mission is very focused, and only hits a small part of the town. It is also still a very weird artillery, like they are shooting a vehicle there, and that explodes. I know it also worked that way in Operation Flashpoint, but now that we have decent artillery strikes in Arma2, it would seem logical to use those in this mission? (And the artillery kills loads of civilians)

The AI sometimes does not want to use the Gear action on a ammo crate if it is near a wall or in a tent. They will move to the ammo crate, but when ordered to "Gear" they will run off and try to acces the ammo crate from the other side of the wall or will simply decline and say "ready". Same with the Rearm action.

Other then that the campaign played fine. The extra ambient life makes the world feel much more alive. The cutscenes might need some more work, but those were weird in Operation Flashpoint too.

And a question; is someone working on the nightvision goggles? Because right now they are helmet mounted ones, and too modern for 1985 :)

Edited by Kornuit

Thanks, I will fix that mission ending and those other campaign related issues. :)

And a question; is someone working on the nightvision goggles? Because right now they are helmet mounted ones, and too modern for 1985 :)

Thanks for the feedback!

I started some but reference is a problem. Right now there are other modelling priorities. Essentially, they aren't being worked on right now.

Thanks for the feedback!

I started some but reference is a problem. Right now there are other modelling priorities. Essentially, they aren't being worked on right now.

Max Power, if you ever get to making them, here are some references. First of all, you can see the nightvision goggles used by the terrorist that attacked Ryan's house on the movie "Patriot Games":

And here are some screenshots of cool NV goggles that were actually an OFP addon:

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6350/dxdshot1196638729xp1.jpg

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/197/dxdshot1216843952df4.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3343/dxdshot1222029647lg1.jpg

I guess you are trying to model a pair of AN/PVS-5's as the wiki says it should be the model for 1985?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/PVS-5

If so this link could maybe help? They are fake but maybe it will help you?: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4474

I wont bother you with more google pictures :)

Don't know where exactly but I have seen those bright/white trees through NVG again. Do you need the coords or can you run a tool which checks the CWR2 trees/foliage on this issue?

Oh yes, 'proper' NVGoggles would indeed be nice. I thought about that too some days ago while checking an old OFP mission for references.

@NoRailgunner

Coordinates and/or screenshot would help identifying them I guess. :)

The view distance limitation is there for a reason: as the original missions were set up in a time when machines could not very well handle the game with large view distances units are at times placed within line of sight where a lower view distance would not reveal them to enemy AI, but which would show up if it is increased. This can cause problems as AI decided to target and destroy units that it is not supposed to be aware of yet, and break the missions. Capping the view distance makes conversion feasible without introducing additional complexity and room for undocumented features by coming up with other solutions for such problems introduced by upping this limit. By keeping it simple and stupid one can attain higher reliability for missions. Sightseeing of the islands can best be done in the editor and not in the missions.

Regards,

Sander

I don't really know what I'm talking about here so I might be asking a very stupid question, but is it possible to only change the view distance for the player and not the AI? So that the player does have full view, and the AI doesn't see things it's not supposed to see yet?

So that the player does have full view

Exactly that is the reason why there is a limitation. Back in 2001-2003 as most of the missions were created, the average viewdistance was ~800 - 1000 meters. And the missions were designed with these view distances in mind.

So if you know play these missions with 3000, 5000 or 10000 meters view distance you see units which you're not supposed to see. Let's take the SP Mission "Ambush" for example. With 1200 meters you already have +300 meters view distance than in 2001. With 3000 meters you would see the enemy units already while not even close to the village. In best case you spoil the fun for yourself, in worst case the fight already starts when it's not supposed to start.

I think 1200 meters is a very good compromise, you can use 10k in your own missions if you really have to. In our own missions we stick to that compromise.

I wouldn't mind as long as I'm not in a vehicle. In Arma 2 the enemy tanks and other vehicles will easily engage your vehicle from beyond your visual range with that kind of view distance. Something you might want to consider when making vehicle based missions.

Just want to say thank you for the time you spent for the community. Played a few missions and enjoyed them very much. Very much looking forward to the CWC campaign! :)