Sign in to follow this  
DaveyBoy

EU based server hosting

[LOL] clan are looking to set up a dedicated 32 player vanila COOP server. Performance is the most important factor.

Can you provide your genuine suggestions?

As you're on the European mainland, I'd recommend Hetzner in Germany. Some really good boxes for hire and we had no problems with them. I'd probably avoid the older i7 9*0 machines and go for the 2600k they offer, or a proper, powerful Xeon.

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

If you'd consider using a UK provider, Gaming Deluxe are excellent too.

I suggest looking at getting a box rather than just a game server if your community can afford it. We use server4u.net and have had very little problems with them they are based in Germany. I have heard good things about Hetzner though and the hardware looks top quality.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Hetzner

Question.. I just placed an order for a dedi and they mailed me and asked me for a scan of my ID card or passport, this feels really unsafe lol. I know they are a big provider but -what if- wrong person at the company make use of it somehow. Gaah i don't know what my quetion is really.

and to think about them seeing my passport photo LOL.. I look like an russian axe murderer or something lol. But then again, they might not dare do anything if they see it.

But have you done this?

or somebody else who see this post?

It's standard practise Rami :) Hetzner are also a very big and good company.

You could also look at OVH.eu dedicated servers, Some dedis have a choice of location.

Question.. I just placed an order for a dedi and they mailed me and asked me for a scan of my ID card or passport, this feels really unsafe lol. I know they are a big provider but -what if- wrong person at the company make use of it somehow. Gaah i don't know what my quetion is really.

and to think about them seeing my passport photo LOL.. I look like an russian axe murderer or something lol. But then again, they might not dare do anything if they see it.

But have you done this?

or somebody else who see this post?

I've never heard of this before, but then, I've never placed an order outside of the UK. The answer to your question though is no, I wasn't asked to provide a scan of any documents like this.

It's standard practise Rami :) Hetzner are also a very big and good company.

You could also look at OVH.eu dedicated servers, Some dedis have a choice of location.

Ah i see!

Do you think its okay with a picture taken by my mobile? Of my pass/id? as long its all visible

Mailed them about it but havn't recieved any answers yet.

Thanks for your answer thought!

:)

They might take a photo but maybe not, wait and see what they say.

I've used some hosts before that won't setup the server until a confirmation letter is posted to your home with a reference code you need to verify you gave the correct address.

You usually only need to do this verification when mainly dealing direct with the data centers, Look for a re-seller if you want your info kept private, just expect to pay slightly more.

Hetzner have been struggling past 3 weeks with huge lag issues. Latency is hopping to 3-4x and packetloss up to 80% to some points.

When you ask about it, they just say that their network is not optimized for gaming. Its shame as their price and hardware are good.

I just logged into my Hetzner box and checked some stuff. Ping was good, 38 ms and there was no packet loss.

Been using a box from OVH hosted in France for almost a month now. Zero issues so far. I have heard some bad things about their customer support though, not sure how much of it is true.

OVH have the worst customer support ever :( However the hardware they use and network are exellent so it's very rare you need to contact them.

The OVH forums are decent though http://forums.ovh.co.uk/

webtropia.com is also a good Hoster for dedicated Servers with good Hardware and for my opinion better prices then Hetzner. They have its own datacenter in "Düsseldorf". And they have good connection to some Gameserverproviders (e.g. gamed!de) in cause of they share the same Datacenter and both have the same mother company called "myLoc managed IT AG"

i personal optain on both Provider a dedicated Server, i am a customer on Hetzer since 3 years and on Webtropia since 1 year. The Dedi on Hetzner i use for Internet-Sites and E-Mailserver, the Webtropia one which has better perfomance host at the same time 4 ArmA2 Dedicated Servers and 2 ArmA3 Semi-Dedicated Server without problems in Ping or Lags.

Edited by sancron

I have been comparing prices, including Windows Server 2008 edition, hardware and peoples reviews and must again recommend Server4you.net

The hardware may not be as cutting edge as Hetzner and the rest but we have found so far that the Opteron 3280 has managed to handle multiple Arma 2 servers....and multiple DayZ servers quite well.

We have had a few hardware troubles but seem to have got them ironed out now and customer support is some of the best I have encountered.

I must admit I would like to see how our dedi server would perform with a newer Intel CPU though.

Go for Hetzer (better prices and support).. and avoid OVH like a plague, they put so many servers online that cannot cope with the customer support, it's a nightmare.