Sign in to follow this  
Azref

Is it worth buying?

I didnt know that. do we have a list of *features* individual to IFL like this on this forum?

L

I think there was one on the iron front forums, not sure, might also be one on Tay's forum, if not, I could try and make one up because I have most of a list in my head.

O hai, i saw you posting bullshit and couldn´t resist telling you.

That´s one shot from Tiger and it killed TWO mediums: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/542946795810925879/2095DD845F38E8C051E17B485B6C829CA3262A27/

pls stop being silly ;)

Oh hai, I saw you typing like you're two years old. Way to go, you managed to do something else that would never happen in real life, and illustrates how ridiculously bad the penetration system is; A shot that goes through the front armour, interior obstacles, the armour between crew compartment and engine, the entire engine, the rear armour, and through the front armour of a tank behind it.

That's about all I can be bothered to reply to the two page surge of IF fanboys.

Oh hai, I saw you typing like you're two years old. Way to go, you managed to do something else that would never happen in real life, and illustrates how ridiculously bad the penetration system is; A shot that goes through the front armour, interior obstacles, the armour between crew compartment and engine, the entire engine, the rear armour, and through the front armour of a tank behind it.

That's about all I can be bothered to reply to the two page surge of IF fanboys.

O hai, i see this is going downhill quick.

Gotta ask you, how would you know how my shot was placed?

Actually, that particular shell went through the back of the turret of Pz4 (standing behind the fully blown up one) and travelled further into the ammorack of Pz4 in the front :)

btw. dropping the fanboi bomb really doesn´t work, IF already trolled itself enough, you cannot even add to that with your anti-game talk.

Oh, so it only went through the rear of the turret, through part of the cannon, through the front of the turret, and then diagonally, thus penetrating even more armour, into the second one? Why, that's very realistic...

Me pointing out several clearly flawed aspects of game + You showing off a single example of what is purported to be a good, realistic example to disprove me together with condesending attitude = Fanboy.

Oh, so it only went through the rear of the turret, through part of the cannon, through the front of the turret, and then diagonally, thus penetrating even more armour, into the second one? Why, that's very realistic...

Me pointing out several clearly flawed aspects of game + You showing off a single example of what is purported to be a good, realistic example to disprove me together with condesending attitude = Fanboy.

30mm turret armor (according to wiki) should be no problem for mighty 8.8cm gun to penetrate twice or more, i´d say it´ll just pass through say hi and then go to another party.

I´m getting the impression though you aren´t here for discussions. So, wishing you good luck on your trips hx3_doublewave.gif

30mm turret armor (according to wiki) should be no problem for mighty 8.8cm gun to penetrate twice or more, i´d say it´ll just pass through say hi and then go to another party.

I´m getting the impression though you aren´t here for discussions. So, wishing you good luck on your trips http://hx3.de/images/smilies/hx3_doublewave.gif

The 88mm does struggle against the SU sometimes, but it is very dependant on the angle, some of the shots will bounce at extreme angles. (as it should do basically)

Dan;2396818']The 88mm does struggle against the SU sometimes' date=' but it is very dependant on the angle, some of the shots will bounce at extreme angles. (as it should do basically)[/quote']

Indeed, angling takes some effect and i like it.

There´s so many good points in IF penetration system, i always miss it when playing standard arma :/

The biggest (fixable) flaw are APCR rounds of which each tank carries a sufficient ammount, which makes especially T-34´s and M4´s much more deadly than they should be.

If you find yourself getting crew-killed more often than you think it´s funny, removing enemy APCR magazines might help.

PS: who doesn´t love charts? :)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u9VFDPfmDeA/UDSiC2YRXVI/AAAAAAAABAw/LhaZy328zxs/s1600/pen.jpg

Hello there

I think if one despises the game then perhaps there are other forum areas you could visit. Throwing the fanboi title around really doesn't help and is needlessly antagonistic.

There are issues with the game, there's no denying that, but for all it's flaws it *is* still fun. We enjoy it. and at it's current price I believe it's worth it.

@Dan, it might be nice if you could whack that list in your head up here if you have a moment or two as with the price drop we might get some BiS regulars purchasing who dont frequent the other boards.

Rgds

LoK

"Is it worth buying?"

I believe that's the title of the thread. If I, like most others who bought it, don't at all like it, this is just the place to express those sentiments, without the minority still defending it and the devs who blatantly lied time after time again coming to their defense, and telling people to stay quiet if they don't like the game. And I reserve the right to call someone who replies to my criticism of the game by calling me a liar and being generally condesending a fanboy, especially when said person uses rare, absurd instances of "realism" to defend the game.

Hello there

I understand your point, but you do seem to be rather angry, I didnt mean to come across as telling you to leave, just that the thread didnt seem to be doing you any good personally.

I dont believe any of us are blind to the issues but when one takes into account the now low cost of the game vs the amount of fun that *can* be had from the game I still believe it's worth it.

I dont however label you as a "hater" or some such as its inflammatory.

Im sorry if you either mistook my meaning or if I myself was not clear in my previous post.

Rgds

LoK

And why should it do me any good? This thread is, considering the name, obviously about what people who bought the game feels about it. Personally, like most others it seems, regards it as a very bad investment, due to lack of support, lies being told about everything from modability to the future of the game, content, etc.

After all this time/ posts on here and on the IF Forums, this "subject" has been discussed and debated so much

that it is getting old, its more entertainment then anything worth reading about again.

Can we close this thread and move on please, because this argument/discussion/thread is repeating itself, here if you want to repeat history lets review

all the threads that basically talk about the past and present of IF up today, heres a nice fat list from IF Fan forums, IF official forums, and the IF section here:

You guys get my drift?, there are already many threads discussing, asking, debating, arguing, about the same crap here, theres enough history for everyone

to review and get the idea of where folks stand with IF and the DLC, and theres even threads with titles that are similar if not the same as this thread.

I see no point in this discussion. if you dont like the game move on, if you like the game then go play it.

The real discussion about iron front should be what are you doing about Iron front, we need current, not history, not dislike, or for or againsted, we need people posting about what they are doing about the game, what they have done, and no whys, whys give a reason and bring us back to this type of thread, its old,a dn guess what... who cares.

the ones that care play it, ones that dont care dont play ti and complain based on reasons, so forget the reasons, if you dont play it again move on.

Close this thread, new folks have enpough information to find out if its worth it for them or not to buy the game, theres tons of threads, linked, tons of screenshots,

videos, and missions available to make a decision.

@scrim I get the impression (correctly or not) that you feel I'm having a go at you personally. I assure you I'm not.

@ Gunter Yes, the current vibe in the thread does seem circular but All views are needed for those interested in possibly purchasing the game especially now its on sale.

I think we should keep away from the issues with the games release and handling and focus, as has been pointed out, on whether the game is worth it. "lies" etc don't really bear on this issue IMHO.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
grammar

So because there's a bunch of threads on a completely different forum about this, this thread should be closed?

There are very few threads of IF forum still in active. Ironically, this is the only one with so many replies and discussions at the moment. So why to close it? Let it be!

Not going the right way in the eyes of some I believe :rolleyes:

So because there's a bunch of threads on a completely different forum about this, this thread should be closed?

Has nothing to do with forum, has to do with content, as said this has already been discussed to many times, and everyones reference

to what developer/publisher have done or rather the politics of the game have already been overdiscussed, complained about, and so forth.

Do what you guys will, I just rather see a thread of what people are doing to fix the game, make the game better be it missions and what not, have done,

rather then complain about bugs, and historical inaccuracies, and how stupid this game is and the hate mongering because of the issues.

Its so tuff, the bugs are so bad i cant play :k:

Not going the right way in the eyes of some I believe :rolleyes:

Well I enjoy playing the game, it has its flaws (such as commanding AI tanks...but those are A2 issues anyway), so I would say that it is worth the price it is currently going for. You just have to know that what you are buying is definitely going to be the final product. But each to themselves.

Has nothing to do with forum, has to do with content, as said this has already been discussed to many times, and everyones reference

to what developer/publisher have done or rather the politics of the game have already been overdiscussed, complained about, and so forth.

Do what you guys will, I just rather see a thread of what people are doing to fix the game, make the game better be it missions and what not, have done,

rather then complain about bugs, and historical inaccuracies, and how stupid this game is and the hate mongering because of the issues.

Its so tuff, the bugs are so bad i cant play :k:

Uh, this thread is called "Is it worth buying". How many times do I have to point that out? This is a thread people are looking at for advice about wether or not to buy the game, so you can be as butthurt as you want about it, but it's the right place for criticism, and shouldn't be closed because someone's asked the same question on another forum! What's next, no discussion about Arma, because say what, it's discussed on another forum?

Hello there

I see both your points but also understand the reason for the antagonism. Dan has probably put it better than I.

Lets move away from aspects like which forum/thread to use etc as well as pushing the publishers(?) handling of the initial game release to one side.

I myself was a big fan of IFL but was also one of the most vocal about the flaws with the game (see the Original IFL forums), so whilst I do like the game I'm not a blind fanboi.

My main gripe, for a prospective purchases viewpoint would probably be the lack of weaponry and vehicles if one is used to playing Arma.

Personally I enjoy the tank combat and the fact that the models are more dynamic in terms of damage and the "enhanced" penetration/damage system makes tank battles *feel* more realistic in general IMHO. A2 vanilla armour never felt authentic to me in any real way.

The terrains, whilst they can be processor/gpu heavy are some of the loveliest since Chernarus and for me wih the new pricing are alone worth the pennies.

The models are second to none and the texturing is superb.

If I were to recommend it to someone I would say treat the game as a mini offshoot from the series and as a nice but ultimately brief distraction. Bear in mind at the moment its cheaper than some Android/Iphone games and at the equivalent of two UK pints of beer is definitely value for money.

One may feel let down or "betrayed" by whomever mishandled the original release but that was then, and we now have a different understanding of the game, but I still don't think that has any bearing on this thread or the game itself.

If at under a tenner one doesn't feel its worth it then that confuses me somewhat, but each to their own.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
grammar

a nice but ultimately brief distraction.

It certainly hasn't been a brief distraction for me. Playing through all the mission and campaign content will take months. Playing on Veteran or Expert will take even longer. And when MP and the editor are included, we are talking about a MAJOR time sink here. Perhaps I have lost my mind, but for most of that time, I actually had fun. :D

Hello there

I have a love hate relationship with the vanilla game. :)

I'm still playing it on and off almost a year after its release, but I often become frustrated with the lack of customisation that I'm used to in A2 that why I think that for *some* it will be a limited relationship. MP is certainly very quiet indeed but I know of many who still fiddle and share missions.

There are going to those who will love it and will wring every penny out of the game but on the other hand there may be folk who are expecting more from an "arma" powered game. Im just trying to give a middle road opinion :)

Rgds

LoK

I certainly never thought I would spend so much time testing and playing IF. I was kindly given the game + DLC for free by X1/AWAR, and have tried to help out as much as possible, so it is not a matter of "wringing every penny" out of it for me. I think that it is the beautiful terrains, models, textures, great "look and feel," difficult missions, armor damage/penetration modelling, and rolling helmets of dead AI that keep me playing on. But I'm very near the end, as I have only War Thunder to play before finishing everything. :( But I'm battling through Tiger's Might one more time just to be hard core. That is one tough (&^&*(@# mission on Veteran!

Yeah!

40caf6255334237.jpg

Edited by OMAC

Indeed, I managed to get the tanks to react well today, I just tell them to fire at will, set them to aware/danger, and for long range targets I have to go into binocs and call out the targets in that view. In arrowhead you don't need to because you can zoom quite well, but if you cant clearly indentify the target, you wont be able to call the target using the lock button, and since binocs have better zoom, you can clearly spot your target and call it for your gunner to engage. I don't think the pure AI crews suffer so bad from this though.

@Scrimm,

As you had missed my point again, continue whatever you wish to discuss then, Im just tired of reading about the history

of what we all dealt with repeat itself on yet.............another thread, so its another reason why i linked those threads,

call it a reference if you will.

I was kindly given the game + DLC for free by X1/AWAR

Nice Omac!, as a moderator on IF Forums we were given the DLC as a gift for our work on the forum, but it was only through steam, so i turned it down then,

but now i got the dlc just last week for a few bucks.

For missions I had only played a couple but the ones I had played a few times were the Blitzkrieg missions in mp self host, I actually found the AI to be sorted of tough in

some instances, because they kept coming and flanking you, right when you thought it was safe to move, wham from the side you be getting pinned down.

2 of my favorite missions are the Mout release and the Battle of Panovo where you capture objectives

but its like your in a real war and the AI are fighting each other, you can sit back and watch if you want but

funner of course if you get involved and sway the battle to your side.