Sign in to follow this  
dr_strangepete

[SP] Hell-Heli : Simple Randomized Autorotation Practice

Hell-Heli [2016-07-16]
arp_title_1.jpg
arp_l3.jpgarp_l2.jpg

Fly Tanoa, Altis and Stratis. Practice your combat moves in the island's most unreliable chopper - Hell-Heli. Guaranteed to fail. Initial Spawn Location and Damage are increasingly randomized, failure modes via engine, and tail rotors. Persistent settings and options for a customized flight. If you get stuck in a bush, use 'escape bush'!

Its an easy way to practice the maneuver, and hone your reflexes. When the time comes in combat, you'll be able to rapidly identify a landing site, and execute a successful flightpath to safe landing.

Survival is the best way to learn.

Changelog:

2.4 - 2016-07-16

• Tanoa! 
  • Camera tweaks for Tanoa; jungle density will remain an issue 
  • Map shift-click for waypoints restored +map close after teleport 
  • Fog rescaled for more practical use 
  • Time-of-day setting fix; was saving wrong hour, and ignoring minutes 
  • Failure timeouts adhered to 
  • Additional minor fixes, and attempts to reduce double-spawn frequency
  • AFM tail-rotor damage fix
Note: 
At the moment, many (but not all!) of the CUP Mod helicopers have broken Hitpoints and  thus do not work.
There are so many variants, if you find a broken model  please add it to the Discussion, "Broken Model Reports"; I will try to make a bug report once I have a decent list generated and verified.

2.3 - 07/19/15

• Mod Enumeration - will search and list new helicopter mods**
  • ИÑправлен перевод на руÑÑкий Ñзык - ÑпаÑибо ruPaladin. Russian translation overhaul by ruPaladin; Thanks again!
  • User-set Respawn Altitude and Deathcam Timeout in settings dialog
  • Rotorlib support (not the cleanest hack, but works)
  • Settings besides Weather, now automatically save
  • Solution to loss of Action Menu when separated from helicopter
  • MANY bugfixes - duplicates; WY-55; deathloop; text overflow; unlimited ammo; ocean-death; NV, +more

Outdated Changelog:

2.1 - 02/04/14

• multilingual! multilingües! многоÑзычное! mehrsprachig! VícejazyÄný! plurilingue! WielojÄ™zyczny!
  • briefing screens disabled, debug controls enabled
  • intro hint shows Collective key-bindings, basic autorotation instruction
  • time slider replaced with hour/minute selection
  • weather saves properly; sliders update rain accordingly
  • stability fixes - last update for awhile

11/08

• Full Rewrite - with room for future combat/logistics missions currently under development :D
  • new settings controls for failure timer and weather
  • alarm removed - i doubt i'll hear any complaints**
  • proper respawn implemented w/ death-cam
  • includes all helicopters & textures options
  • community-made map support - scripts should just be drag & drop and work

**the alarm has been removed as, i had been expecting BIS to implemented something to that effect by game release, which they've obviously not. so, to keep vanilla, i've disabled it; if anyone really would like it back, i'll keep it as a user option

8/28

• Hell-Heli: Autorotation Altis!
  • spawn fixes for altis compatibility (so...big...)
  • 8/16 repair revert - will function like it did: repair works midflight; added 'escape bush' action for when stuck in a tree or bush :D

8/18

• missing NVGs added
  • quick settings dialog! (all except weather are saved)
    -helicopter selection
    -random weather
    -set random timer intervals
    -jog time (+4 hrs)

8/16

• Increased timer interval and average
  • Using "repair" below 25m will spawn your helicopter 40m in the air (stuck in trees fix) **
  • Tail failures more common, with the occasional possibility of a tail-only failure **
  • Blackscreen bug fix
  • minor fixes

8/10

• Now remembers previous settings - day/night, random, (already saved heli)
  • sudden failures - removed gradually increasing damage (testing = feedback?)
  • increased possible random triggering time, currently timer set to: 5,28,90
  • significantly improved vehicle change (no more textures visibly loading)
  • 15% chance some-degree of tail failure
  • small bug fixes - action menu items consistently sort; doesn't override 'get in pilot'

7/17

• vehicle change faster & smoother
  • player now pilot instead of infantry; added copilot
  • stuck, and overlapping alarms fixed
  • quite a few vehicle change bug fixes: spawn height; action menu; random death
  • filesize of pbo now properly ~350kb instead of 3MB - some A3 beta bug i guess. total archive 630K

7/12

• Changing helicopters mid-game; save feature
  • Autorotations fixed in Development Branch!!
  • ylguf's autorotation/vortex script included for non-dev branch players!
  • Alarm freakout fix

6/26

• BETA update
  • minor bug fixes
  • slow moving mission backend and UI overhaul in progress. - day job... ::grumble::

4/26

• First large update/rewrite; bug fix (spawn as copilot; no control of heli)
  • Random, increasing damage rate to engine, won't always die immediately
  • Enable/disable random failures via Action Menu. Mission now starts default with random disabled.
  • Manual Engine and Tail rotor Failures, and Repair via Actions
  • Engine failure warning sound
  • Toggle Daytime/Nighttime!

Helicopter DLC Class list [ for legacy versions ]

Latest full list of class names for older/current versions of Heli-Heli, until update is out

"B_Heli_Light_01_F","B_Heli_Light_01_armed_F","O_Heli_Light_02_F","O_Heli_Light_02_unarmed_F","B_Heli_Attack_01_F","O_Heli_Attack_02_F","O_Heli_Attack_02_black_F","B_Heli_Transport_01_F","B_Heli_Transport_01_camo_F","I_Heli_Transport_02_F","I_Heli_light_03_F","I_Heli_light_03_unarmed_F","C_Heli_Light_01_civil_F","O_Heli_Light_02_v2_F","B_Heli_Transport_03_F","B_Heli_Transport_03_unarmed_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_ammo_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_bench_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_box_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_covered_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_fuel_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_medevac_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_repair_F"

or DLC classes only:

"C_Heli_Light_01_civil_F","O_Heli_Light_02_v2_F","B_Heli_Transport_03_F","B_Heli_Transport_03_unarmed_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_ammo_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_bench_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_box_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_covered_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_fuel_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_medevac_F","O_Heli_Transport_04_repair_F"

Installation:
Install *.pbo to steamapps/common/arma3/missions or copy the included folder for A3 Editor into {user}/Documents/Arma 3 {Profile}/missions

Download 2016-07-16:
[ Latest - Tanoa, Altis & Stratis: sp_hell-heli-autorotation_v2_4_pack.7z ]

Latest: sp_hell-heli-autorotation_v2_4.Tanoa.7z ]

[ Latest: sp_hell-heli-autorotation_v2_4.Altis.7z ]

[ Latest: sp_hell-heli-autorotation_v2_4.Stratis.7z ]

88x31.png amar_small.png
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

New Demo Video - 11/08

Quick demonstration of latest release rewrite

Edited by dr_strangepete
new video

6/26 Update- BETA compatibility, minor fixes.

work be crazy, but a UI and backend overhaul is in slooow progress, in addition to more options and multiple helicopter selection coming sooner

note: currently as of this build of the beta, it is very hard to execute a autorotation, as the blades spin-down much faster than before (and not really comparable to RL anyways). Suggestion is to stay lower, until comfortable with the limitations currently in-place. Dev in Tracker has said the heli physics are still being worked on and developed. Patience!

Edited by dr_strangepete

Great mission dr_strangepete, perfect for training. I hope you will add new features by time, like the possibility to choose helicopter, and so on. Realy good job.

great mission thanks. i have a autorotation/vortex ring/ wind script here you might be interested in. it will allow you to actually auto instead of engine off land as fast as possible.

7/12 Update - Any Helicopter! +ylguf's autorotation script for non-dev branch players

:yay: you can finally change your helicopter mid-flight, and it will be saved and loaded on new game.

also fixed alarm freaking out, other small bugs.

BETA Development Branch has working Autorotations!

BUT if you're on the main branch i've included ylguf's autorotation/vortex script.

-to use you've have to load the included folder into your missions folder, and uncomment the line indicated in Init.sqf

Thanks to Ylguf for letting me include this. For the period where the current simulation is/was lacking, this is a great script, has a good feel :)

Your mission is lacking a major part in this type of training, which is auto rotating while being shot at and other things like the enemy breaking your tail rotor while dropping off troops or something like that and recovering and getting out of the danger zone. Multiple combat related things need to be added to make the mission better for flight training since this is not a civilian flight game but a combined arms Militery sim and thus combat emergencies need to simulated as well, like getting shot and trying to escape like a wounded bird as you try not to be finished off.

---------- Post added at 01:16 ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 ----------

Also, have a setting to make the mission use base game traits instead of altered damage time and such so the player can train and become better at flying.

Your mission is lacking a major part in this type of training, which is auto rotating while being shot at and other things like the enemy breaking your tail rotor while dropping off troops or something like that and recovering and getting out of the danger zone. Multiple combat related things need to be added to make the mission better for flight training since this is not a civilian flight game but a combined arms Militery sim and thus combat emergencies need to simulated as well, like getting shot and trying to escape like a wounded bird as you try not to be finished off.

Also, have a setting to make the mission use base game traits instead of altered damage time and such so the player can train and become better at flying.

I absolutely agree, it should be an option, and i won't lie, its a bit too much for me to bite right now. I don't have the scripting skills or time at the moment to properly implement it.

Personally, i find it good practice for finding a suitable place to land and actually executing it, with little warning, and surviving; especially for those who have little experience, random auto-rotating experiences. Arma Is a mil-sim, but not all missions are combat based, or experience helicopter failures under fire.

As far as base game traits, how do you mean? damage comes from bullets in stock game 90% of the time, and not from oil loss, and rarely lack of fuel. current time based failure is random in length, and would be similar to being consistently shot at. plus it was requested : )

i do appreciate your feedback, don't get me wrong; so far all the feedback i've gotten has pushed me to learn more, so keep it coming!

So, how would you like to see combat implemented? a sandbox island with random units anywhere, or specific scenarios/objectives? the issue i see is creating situations you can practice with and learn, but without AI putting a single bullet through your head, or a 'landing scenario' where you just expect the chopper will die just after the troops jump out. I've considered bangabobs enemy occupation script...any ideas welcome. can't guarantee i can implement them :D

Thank you so much for this. Was getting tired of spawning helos with next to no fuel or shooting out the tail rotor myself.

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

To do this I just got to editor, spawn the bird I want to fly, place marker on the map for LZ, and place EI around to shoot at me.

7/17 Update:

• vehicle change faster & smoother
  • player now pilot instead of infantry; added copilot
  • stuck, and overlapping alarms fixed
  • quite a few vehicle change bug fixes: spawn height; action menu; random death
  • filesize of pbo now properly ~350kb instead of 3MB - some A3 beta bug i guess. total archive now 630K

-------

To do this I just got to editor, spawn the bird I want to fly, place marker on the map for LZ, and place EI around to shoot at me.

+1 for keeping it simple; i almost had forgot : )

Edited by dr_strangepete

Could you please add the ability to play with two people in two different helicopters, my friend prefers me around to help/ teach him while we fly?

Could you please add the ability to play with two people in two different helicopters, my friend prefers me around to help/ teach him while we fly?

ill definitely play around with it...would you want both to fail at the same time, or on their own random schedules. furthermore, ill ask, any interest in riding copilot too, or instead of separate helis?

i've thought before about MP and how it would be funny to have a whole island of crashing helis left and right! or at-least a public practice mission server (more than just autorotations?)

+1 for keeping it simple; i almost had forgot : )

Without a script you can't guarantee engine and rotor failure by just placing enemy infantry around. I find that's part of the fun never knowing what happens.

8/10 Changelog:

• Now remembers previous settings - day/night, random, (already saved heli)
  • sudden failures - removed gradually increasing damage (testing = feedback?)
  • increased possible random triggering time, currently timer set to: 5,28,90
  • significantly improved vehicle change (no more textures visibly loading)
  • 15% chance some-degree of tail failure
  • small bug fixes - action menu items consistently sort; doesn't override 'get in pilot'
  • now on steam workshop (still support your Armaholic!)

i ended up removing ylguf's autorotation script, now that the vanilla is functioning. thank you for letting me share it!

Edited by dr_strangepete

8/16 Update:

• Increased timer interval and average
  • Using "repair" below 25m will spawn your helicopter 40m in the air (stuck in trees fix) **
  • Tail failures more common, with the occasional possibility of a tail-only failure **
  • Blackscreen bug fix
  • minor fixes

** I would love feedback on these 2 changes...

8/18 Update:

• missing NVGs added
  • quick settings dialog! (all except weather are saved)
    -helicopter selection
    -random weather
    -set random timer intervals
    -jog time (+4 hrs)

hell_heli_settings.jpg

Edited by dr_strangepete

Is it possible to allow two players in the mission? For example I would be in the Gunner/Co-Pilot seat and trigger the failures to teach another player or friend who is sitting in the pilots seat? I tried to make something like that before and it failed horribly.

The instructor would have all the current options and the pilot would have only the normal vanillia options.

Is it possible to allow two players in the mission? For example I would be in the Gunner/Co-Pilot seat and trigger the failures to teach another player or friend who is sitting in the pilots seat? I tried to make something like that before and it failed horribly.

The instructor would have all the current options and the pilot would have only the normal vanillia options.

I've been working on it since you last asked, but nothing to share yet. In the mean time you could do this, create a new MP mission, add a an empty helicopter, and 2 pilots both set to "playable", add this code to the initialization line of the helicopter:

this addaction ["Kill Engine",{_veh = _this select 3;_configEngineName = getText (configfile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf _veh >> "HitPoints" >> "HitEngine" >> "name");_veh setHit [_configEngineName,1];},this,4.01,false]; this addaction ["Repair",{_veh = _this select 3; _veh setDamage 0;},this,4.02,false];

then you'll be more in-control, and can create failures when you want, and repair the heli when things are going bad; probably better for pilot-copilot training sessions anyway

hell_heli_altis_512.jpg

8/28

• Hell-Heli: Autorotation Altis!
  • spawn fixes for altis compatibility (so...big...)
  • 8/16 repair revert - will function like it did: repair works midflight; added 'escape bush' action for when stuck in a tree or bush :D

Is it possible to allow two players in the mission? For example I would be in the Gunner/Co-Pilot seat and trigger the failures to teach another player or friend who is sitting in the pilots seat? I tried to make something like that before and it failed horribly. The instructor would have all the current options and the pilot would have only the normal vanillia options.

Baaamm

[script][MP] Copilot Assisted Autorotation Training Controls

11/08

• Full Rewrite - with room for future combat/logistics missions currently under development :D
  • new settings controls for failure timer and weather
  • alarm removed - i doubt i'll hear any complaints**
  • proper respawn implemented w/ death-cam
  • includes all helicopters & textures options
  • community-made map support - scripts should just be drag & drop and work

**the alarm has been removed as, i had been expecting BIS to implemented something to that effect by game release, which they've obviously not. so, to keep vanilla, i've disabled it; if anyone really would like it back, i'll keep it as a user option

arp_l1.jpgarp_l2.jpg

Edited by dr_strangepete

2.1 - 02/04

• multilingual! multilingües! многоÑзычное! mehrsprachig! VícejazyÄný! plurilingue! WielojÄ™zyczny!
  • briefing screens disabled, debug controls enabled
  • intro hint shows Collective key-bindings, basic autorotation instruction
  • time slider replaced with hour/minute selection
  • weather saves properly; sliders update rain accordingly
  • stability fixes
  • community-made map support - scripts should just be drag & drop

This'll be the last update for a while, unless game changes necessitate bug fixes - focusing my time on modeling :)

Enjoy!

2.3 - 07/19/15

• Mod Enumeration - will search and list new helicopter mods**
  • ИÑправлен перевод на руÑÑкий Ñзык - ÑпаÑибо ruPaladin
  • Russian translation overhaul by ruPaladin; Thanks again!
  • User-set Respawn Altitude and Deathcam Timeout in settings dialog
  • Rotorlib support (not the cleanest hack, but works)
  • Settings besides Weather, now automatically save
  • Solution to loss of Action Menu when separated from helicopter
  • Map-click teleport
  • MANY bugfixes - duplicates; WY-55; deathloop; text overflow; unlimited ammo; ocean-death; NV, +more

arp_l3.jpg

I never ended up posting v2.2 here, so there are a few unmentioned changes and fixes

Edited by dr_strangepete

Thank you for update! Great mission!