DavidCastle

Gear Mechanic Idea

I couldn't find a suggestions forum so I guess this is the correct place. I didn't post in mods for request mod because maybe this will be moved there with no interest or place here.

I would think adding to the realism would be a system that stops operators from reloading from their backpacks as your currently can. Also this same system should allow for magazines in your chest rig that you are carrying to reload at a much faster rate. In combat training whether military or civilian you are taught to reload fast and precise. It would be nice to see these military trained soldiers of arma reload much faster than they can, while at the same time being limited to actual real life logistics of how backpacks and chest rigs work.

Also it would be cool to see additional weapons be carried. 99% of the time you only carry one weapon. Any modern military works in squads where each individual has a role. Would not make sense for someone to try and be a jack of all trades and carry an m4 on the front with his rig or one point sling and then have a m110 slung over his back with a 2 point sling..... BUT it would be hella cool. I have even tried this in real life with a 14.5 inch AR and a remmington 700 and though moving through doorways suck, with my good slings am able to easly maneuver without an trouble. I obviously can only carry a small patrolman back or else the shoulderslung rifle wouldn't fit, but I can easily move around and engage my invisible pretend targets. Adding this to the game would just be awesome since we as Arma players love options... PLUS for any sort of post Post Ap. type missions or rebel assymetrical missions, or even A-Team super hero special forces missions this would be way awesome.

Also maybe I just haven't searched for the keys, but the ability to switch between weapons on slings and holsters could be managed easily with the normal 12345 type keys of other FPS. I know we are all used to and very efficient with the scrollwheel spacebar, but for the same reason we delt with the movement in Arma 2 because of how awesome the game is but no longer look back because Arma 3 blow it out of the water, we should also leave the confusing change weapons mechanics behind. Too many times am I near an AddAction or a door and I either open the door or do action when I want to shoot, or shoot when I want to open the door or do the action.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What can be done easily by Bohemia:

I wouldn't really want Bohemia to spend their time delving into anything more complex that I would want persay, such as individually customizable pouches per rig where you choose mag placement on your body to affect reload times ect. But rather at the minimum prevent reloading from backpacks and increase reload time from mags in chest rigs. Also actually make heavier backpacks tired you out MUCH more quickly (does it do this now? I never pay attention)

What would this add?

- Intelligent gear management mechanic. No longer do you throw everything in your inventory with a spill over method pants filled >> rig filled >> backpack filled and reload completely fine.

- Fun downtime mechanic. During downtime you briskly open your pack and consolidate your full mags for use in your chest rig.

- Full backpacks tiring out players would create a situation where on combat missions you would ditch the full backpacks and take only a hydration pack and if needed one ammo mule. Where as on patrol missions or prolonged operations you would take with you your full packs which you could also store on your vehicle if you see fit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What could modders do?

The sling deal where you can carry additional weapons as well as the quick change through a button rather than scroll wheel menu.

Also modders could take it further and do fully customized chest rigs with choice of mag pouch, utility pouch, dump pouch ect placement.

Eitherway, just an idea. At the minimum the nonreload from backpack itself would add a greater depth to gameplay that we would all enjoy.

I agree with not being able to reload from your backpack. In A2 you can only reload from your gear. This makes sense, it forces you to stop and actively transfer gear from your backpack to your inventory, same as you would in real life

Just posted on this in other thread.It cant be that BIS want it this way right?I hope they don't streamline the game to the point where we will need ACE to add back in things like this that where originally in Arma.I hope:(

Skimmed the op but you won't have that issue where you do an action instead of shoot anymore because lmb no longer doubles as complete action, it is now just shoot...and drag gear I guess.

As for the backpack thing, yes it's a100% definite requirement. You can't have a realistic magazine situation where each mag hold its own bullets instead of the typical bullet pool from most fps games and then spoil it with reloads from backpack. Also there is another ticket raised where by reloading with a bullet in chamber doesn't give you mag+1.

Sproyd,in regards to the missing one bullet mag I noticed that the game can move mags around at whim.So if your watching the suit screen and you reload with one bullet in the current mag it just might be put back into the tactical vest or vice versa.So its there you just have to look in other area to see it.

Sproyd,in regards to the missing one bullet mag I noticed that the game can move mags around at whim.So if your watching the suit screen and you reload with one bullet in the current mag it just might be put back into the tactical vest or vice versa.So its there you just have to look in other area to see it.

Hi Wolfstriked - no I'm talking about having a bullet in the chamber counting towards your available ammo.

Here's the situation:

- Empty gun, safety on, no magazine inserted.

- Load full 30 rnd magazine, you now have 30 rounds available (and should in theory charge the weapon to load one in the chamber)

- Fire 20 rounds, you now have 10 rounds available - 9 in the magazine and one in the chamber.

- Reload with another 30 rnd mag and your total rounds available should be 31.

Its not hard to implement - BF3 has it (but they also just have a total bullet count pool and no magazine management)