majoris

China - PLA Infantry (Alpha)

Let me know what you guys think, I spent a lot of time on this update. :)

A few glitches aren't fixed yet (e.g. voice bug) but there's lots of new content and server keys.

People's Liberation Army (v2.5)

new_01.jpg

727xc5.jpg

new_04.jpg

new_03.jpg

dcdnic.jpg

Description:

Custom and retextured infantry units, vehicles, and weapons depicting futuristic Chinese PLA units (circa 2035).

All units and groups can be found under the "PLA" faction. Ammo boxes with Chinese weapons can also be found under "Empty".

Storyline

After nearly 40 years of unprecedented economic growth and technological advancements, China has deployed expeditionary

forces throughout the Mediterranean in support of allied Iran's military campaigns.

Features:

- Squads:

- Infantry

- Special Forces

- Chinese weapons:

- QBZ95 Rifle

- QBZ95B Carbine

- QBB95 LSW

- QJY88 GPMG

- QBU88 DMR

- Chinese vehicles (fictional):

- WZ35 AH

- ZFB35 IFV

- ZFB35 GMG IFV

- ZFB35 GMG IFV

- ZSD35 IFV

- ZTZ30 MBT

- ZTZ35 MBT

- J30 CAS

- J30 AA

- ZSD35 IFV

- WS35 Covered

- WS35 Uncovered

- WS35 Fuel

- WS35 Ammo

- WS35 Medical

- WS35 Repair

- Chinese language replacement (radio/voices)

- Asian face replacement

Download (key included):

- Link (Version 3.0) - Filedropper

Changelog:

- Added server keys

- Added Special Forces units

- Added Air, Armor, Mechanized, Motorized, and Support vehicles

- Added new infantry equipment and uniforms

- Added camouflage face paint

- Added LIVE unit/group compatibility

- Fixed weapon hand positioning

- Resized textures in high resolution for better quality

Credits:

- VME PLA Mod for their sounds, weapon models, config help, and support!

- ShOcKeRoS for his North Korean units and config help

- Saul for his amazing PSD templates; you're a lifesaver!

Classnames:

Universal:

- PLA_Rifleman

- PLA_SquadLeader

- PLA_AutoRifleman

- PLA_MG

- PLA_Marksman

- PLA_Grenadier

- PLA_AT

- PLA_AA

- PLA_Medic

- PLA_Explosive

- PLA_Crew

Special Forces:

- PLA_Rifleman_SF

- PLA_SquadLeader_SF

- PLA_AutoRifleman_SF

- PLA_MG_SF

- PLA_Marksman_SF

- PLA_Grenadier_SF

- PLA_AT_SF

- PLA_AA_SF

- PLA_Medic_SF

- PLA_Explosive_SF

- PLA_Crew_SF

Uniforms:

- PLA_CombatUniform

- PLA_CombatUniform_Medic

- PLA_CombatUniform_SF

- PLA_CombatUniform_Medic_SF

Equipment:

- PLA_Vest

- PLA_Vest_SF

- PLA_Helmet

- PLA_Helmet_Camo

- PLA_Boonie

- PLA_Boonie_SF

- PLA_Cap

- PLA_Cap_SF

- PLA_Kitbag

- PLA_Kitbag_AR

- PLA_Kitbag_Exp

- PLA_Kitbag_Medic

- PLA_Kitbag_AT

- PLA_Ktbag_AA

- PLA_Kitbag_Repair

- PLA_Kitbag_SF

- PLA_Kitbag_AR_SF

- PLA_Kitbag_Exp_SF

- PLA_Kitbag_Medic_SF

- PLA_Kitbag_AT_SF

- PLA_Kitbag_AA_SF

Weapons/Ammo:

- PLA_QBB95 (75Rnd_58x42_QBB)

- PLA_QBZ95 (30Rnd_58x42_QBZ)

- PLA_QBZ95B (30Rnd_58x42_QBZ)

- PLA_QBZ95GL (30Rnd_58x42_QBZ, 1Rnd_HE_GL1)

- PLA_QJY88 (100Rnd_58x42_QJY)

- PLA_KBU88 (10Rnd_58x42_KBU)

Edited by majoris

Good to see some Chinese stuff in. Of course I would like to see the basic Chinese firearms when all is done. Good work.

Good to see some Chinese stuff in. Of course I would like to see the basic Chinese firearms when all is done. Good work.

Until I can get permission to use somebody elses QBZ's, I'm more than likely going to switch to the Katibas (they look like futuristic QBZ's I guess..)

Well, that went from WIP to full release quickly. Interesting.

Well, that went from WIP to full release quickly. Interesting.

Is that a bad thing? A four-day weekend and Saul's template make it quick work. Adding a new camo takes about 15 minute (granted there are lots of bugs to work out).

Is that a bad thing? A four-day weekend and Saul's template make it quick work. Adding a new camo takes about 15 minute (granted there are lots of bugs to work out).

No, it's not a bad thing. I was just saying that it's quite interesting that these have been released quite quickly with good quality. I should have been more specific.

Wow, that was a damn quick release. For some reason my download didn't complete though, so the extract failed. Trying again now. Can't wait to get these working in the editor. Might give them a quick reconfig to use the katiba tho. :D

::edit:: don't know if this is happening for anyone else, but I can't seem to get a complete version of the file to download from the address given, the download keeps dying partway in ::edit::

Edited by r3volution

Good on you guy...I hope you can get the Chinese Stringtables done...perhaps you can get in touch with the boys at VME webpage?

http://www.chinavme.com/forum.php

Perhaps they can help you with that? Get in touch with the Admin, Alex, over there. Tell him I sent you..........Good luck!!

BTW, I maybe able to help out with Voice work when the time comes.....let me know how I can help.

Wow, that was a damn quick release. For some reason my download didn't complete though, so the extract failed. Trying again now. Can't wait to get these working in the editor. Might give them a quick reconfig to use the katiba tho. :D

::edit:: don't know if this is happening for anyone else, but I can't seem to get a complete version of the file to download from the address given, the download keeps dying partway in ::edit::

The Katiba is the standard rifle in the next version; config is already updated (let me know if you'd like this version).

Couple questions for everyone:

- For the sake of plot/storyline, would you guys like to see a fictional Stratis-specific camo used by the Chinese? I had this in mind: http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/almagami/almagami1012/almagami101200012/8720473-digital-camouflage-seamless-pattern-disert-palette.jpg . With vehicle reskins in the same pattern, it'd give it some uniformity like the Iranian forces and make them seem like an expeditionary force (although the standard uniforms will still be included)

- Which patterns would you like to see on the vehicles? The modern PLA uses an entirely different digital pattern, but I'm a stickler for keeping things uniform.

- Katiba will be set as the default rifle; any other suggestions?

Edited by majoris

Awesome work, and insanely quick too! I for one totally endorse these units having the Katiba! The proposed new camo looks pretty good, is it from a real life example or did you just whip that up? Having some vehicles will be sweet too, the stratis camo could be interesting even if it's not PLA issue, it does fit with the story. :)

Also, having now got this downloaded and installed, the woodland and arid units are working fine, but the ones in PLA standard camo seem to have the rust camo vest & equipment from ShOcKeRoS's North Koreans, and their helmet camo is the NK stratis camo. I'm running the dev version, don't know if that might be messing with it. Otherwise it might be a line of code is still pointing to the NK mod or something. Is anyone else getting this?

Otherwise these are awesome. :)

Ah, line of code still pointing to the NK units (I asked for permission to use them as a template/reference). They may not be compatible together right now but I'll fix it for the update. Thanks for letting me know.

Changelog (Version 1.1 - unreleased)

- Fixed config/compatibility issues

- Added Katiba as standard rifle series

- Added fictional Stratis camouflage (to simulate a possible Stratis Expeditionary Force)

- Added caps/helmets in all patterns

34fofhi.jpg

Edited by majoris

Holy shit. I go to sleep and wake up and this happens. ^^^ Thanks for the fix (and glad I could help point it out).

I should sleep more often! That camo looks even better on the units. :D

It's good to see our PLA MOD could be developed by foreign friends, and would be better to see china small arms too.

Considering that the Katiba's own description in SIX browser describes it as having been designed with Chinese assistance... making it the standard rifle for your units is plausible.

Incidentally, for anyone actually wanting to go ahead with making Arma 3 versions of the small arms, the QBZ-95, QBZ-95B carbine and QBB-95 light support weapon (LSW) got a "-1" variant each (i.e. QBZ-95-1), detailed specifics here. A bunch of the differences are mainly stuff that seems unlikely to be relevant within the bounds of Arma 3 vanilla, i.e. ergonomic differences and the heavier barrel (for the heavier 77 grain DBP10 round) but the normal length rifle and the carbine are compatible with a 35 mm underbarrel grenade launcher, the QLG10A, as is the Type 95B-1 variant (said ergonomic/barrel changes applied to the QBZ-95B carbine) and it seems that the QLG10A's sights are designed for 100 to 400 meters in fifty-meter increments (100 m, 150 m, 200 m, 250 m, 300 m, 350 m, 400 m).

(It's apparently not known publicly if the QBU-88 designated marksman rifle got such changes as well; both the QBB-88 and the QBB-95 had already been using a heavier round than the QBZ-95 was.)

But then again the Katiba looks like the Khabar. And the Khabar is designed from the DIO model S-5.56 and the DIO is derived from the Chinese Norinco CQ. Pretty much, the weapon is Iranian. It's a future version of the Khabar. But because the Khabar is a clone of the QBZ-95, the Katiba is essentially the same. I mean, the Khabar looks pretty much like the QBZ-95, so it's perfectly fine to have this as the standard Chinese rifle. Great choice.

Antoineflemming I hate to be 'that guy' but the Norinco CQ is a straight up copy of the AR15. Whereas the QBZ-95 (to my limited knowledge) despite being from the same manufacturer, was a fairly different family of weapons designed around a different mechanism. That said though I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

Ifrit retexture in Stratis camo (character version above) is finished, with variants in the main three patterns (universal, woodland, arid) also under construction. I tried making them look beat-up and used, compared to the pristine-condition stock Ifrit. Could use two things from you guys:

- A suitable Chinese name for the vehicle

- Help with the config! No idea how to test this thing out; I don't think anyone has reskinned an Ifrit until now.

Please keep in mind this is my first addon! :) Vehicles are a whole different beast.

Texture Preview:

4sd7ax.jpg

Edited by majoris

- Help with the config! No idea how to test this thing out; I don't think anyone has reskinned an Ifrit until now.

nevermind....

Edited by ShOcKeRoS

Antoineflemming I hate to be 'that guy' but the Norinco CQ is a straight up copy of the AR15. Whereas the QBZ-95 (to my limited knowledge) despite being from the same manufacturer, was a fairly different family of weapons designed around a different mechanism. That said though I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

Yeah, I know. A Chinese copy. ;p I guess I should have said that the Khabar was functionally a copy of the Norinco CQ, which itself if a copy of the AR15, and that the Khabar was aesthetics-wise a copy of the QBZ-95.

Agreed. Switching to the bullpup is definitely a handy idea but the ergonomics on the Khaybar seem to be worse than what the QBZ 95-1 looks like. Mind you, it's definitely a big step forward for Iran's domestic arms industry.

Back to topic, the vehicle camo is looking pretty awesome. I totally approve the idea of having it look a bit more roughed up. Since when does any vehicle or weapon in a warzone look mint condition and like it's just been washed? :)

ShOcKeRoS has been helping me with the Ifrit config; apparently BIS doesn't allow them to be reskinned yet, so we'll have to wait a bit :(

Yeah the QBZ-95 and associated weapons that I mentioned before were designed for rounds in 5.8 x 42 mm caliber, the Type 95 and the Type 95B carbine in a lighter round (64 grain DBP87), the Type 95 LSW (QBB-95) and apparently the Type 88 DMR (QBU-88) in a heavier round (70 grain DBP88).

Mind you, the "-1" changes to the basic rifle, carbine and LSW were seemingly mainly ergonomic improvements over the basic versions, so that's not quite the "fairest" comparison to the Khaybar which I've never heard of getting such upgrading. (The basic rifle and carbine also got a heavier barrel in their "-1" upgrades to support the 77 grain DBP10 round with more "hard barrier" penetration than the earlier DBP87 rounds.)