dmarkwick

JTD Flies ArmA3 version

A new ArmA3 specific version of JTD Flies. The main difference being that units who are killed underwater will bleed for a few minutes instead of attract flies after a few minutes. See what you think.

JTD Flies [ALPHA] v0.4

*Thanks to Foxhound and ArmAholic for hosting :) greatly appreciated.

Requirements: CBA_A3

Readme:

JTD Flies v0.3 for ArmA 3

Requirements: CBA_A3

Adds flies to dead bodies. After between 2-5 minutes, flies will begin to gather around a body, increasing in density each 15 minutes or so, up to a maximum fly density. You can tell *very roughly* how long a body has been dead, and coupled with a suitable blood addon that simulates blood splatter (there are a few, ACE2, GL4 and SLX for example), you can perhaps work out what, where and even when something happened, in a very general and rough way

Also, it might allow you to find a body among severe clutter when you're looking for one, for example when you're out of ammo or something.

And, because no-one wants to see flies underwater, any unit who is killed in the water will now bleed out instead of eject flies :)

The logic is that if a unit dies underwater or > 1.5m below sea level (the new Underwater command is not very reliable) the unit will bleed heavily for about a minute followed by 2 to 3 minutes of lighter bleeding until it eventually stops. So it works inversley to the flies :)

Units who die in very shallow water will NOT bleed, because it looks like red smoke coming out of the water. So they will attract flies instead, even though they are in water.

*v0.4 update improvements*

Improved underwater detection, units floating near surface will still be considered underwater even if not totally submerged.

Included the bikey for servers.

*v0.3 update improvements*:

Units killed underwater will bleed instead of attract flies.

*V0.2 update improvements*:

Sound added.

Flies now spawn around a random area centered on the center of body mass instead of the feet.

Tweaked fly size.

Tweaked fly movement.

*edit*

Forgot to mention - there will be no flies if it rains OR if fog value exceeds 0.75.

*edit 2*

Dayum, forgot to mention CBA dependency

Place the addon in whatever @Modfolder/Addons folder you see fit (hopefully you already have a @JTD folder ).

This addon will disable if/when JTD_WeatherAndClimate is installed, as this functionality will (hopefully) be included, but in a way appropriate for each climate.

I will perhaps add sounds to a future revision of this. As far as performance goes, I haven't seen any hit. All bodies only emit flies when player < 100m, and the script exits if the body is deleted.

The addon is SP/client-side eye-candy only, although no MP issues are expected. I expect JIP to be nonexistent however, only units that are killed while you are in the game will be processed.

Edited by DMarkwick

Great work DMarkwick as per usual! Installing and I'll just be off to shoot some guys underwater... ;)

Nice touch adding the underwater blood. Definitely something that felt off about the vanilla version.

It's great that we still get mods that improve the dark atmosphere of war.

EDIT: I downloaded this and it doesn't have a key. just a bisign.

one thing i did notice is that the sound of the fly's doesn't play in the correct position. It is always several feet to one direction, IE; you look at the body and the fly sounds are to your right or left even though the body is directly in front of you.

If you walk around the body you will notice that its not positioned correctly.

And is there any way to slow down the spawning of flies .. IE: flys dont show up until after about 15 minutes instead of about 5, and then they are not full force until after 30 minutes/1 hour.. Or rather would it be ok if i just adjusted the times for my personal use?

Thanks again for the mod, really I have always loved and used it!!

EDIT: I downloaded this and it doesn't have a key. just a bisign.

Dayum, yes I forgot the server key :D

I will repack it tonight when I get home.

Love your mods DMarkwick thanks for the updated version. Have you thought about transporting your fire and smoke to A3?

Love your mods DMarkwick thanks for the updated version. Have you thought about transporting your fire and smoke to A3?

It will happen :) but I'm going to wait while the scripting command changes happen first and they settle to a more finalised state. I had F&S working in ArmA3 and the addon works reasonably well, but obviously since the command changes have removed the MP and JIP abilities of F&S there didn't seem to be much point in porting it just yet. Plus, I'd like to redo the textures.

Very true mate, no sense in doing work and it ending up being done again. Will look forward to it anyway. Again thanks for the flies :D

Hey DMarkwick, I've been a fan of your scripts for a long time, and look forward to the port of the fire script.

I need the underwater blood effect for a specific cutscene, and looked at your script, which saved me much time because I find the Drop commands difficult to deal with. Here is your drop command, followed by my documented breakdown of the parameters:

Drop[["JTD_Flies\UnderwaterBlood1.p3d", 1, 0, 1], "", "Billboard", 0, 10, [random 0.1,random 0.1, random 0.1],[0,0,0], random 2, 12.75, 10.025, 0, [0.2, (random 1.5) + 0.5], [[1, 0, 0, 0],[1, 0, 0, 1],[1, 0, 0, 0.6],[1, 0, 0, 0]],[0.4,0.1], 0, 3, "", "", _unit];

/*Sprite*/	Drop[["JTD_Flies\UnderwaterBlood1.p3d", 1, 0, 1], "", 
/*Type*/	"Billboard", 
/*TimmerPer*/	0, 
/*Lifetime*/	10, 
/*Position*/	[random 0.1,random 0.1, random 0.1],
/*MoveVelocity*/	[0,0,0], 
/*Simulation*/	random 2, 12.75, 10.025, 0, 
/*Scale*/	[0.2, (random 1.5) + 0.5], 
/*Color*/	[[1, 0, 0, 0],[1, 0, 0, 1],[1, 0, 0, 0.6],[1, 0, 0, 0]],
/*AnimSpeed*/	[0.4,0.1], 
/*randDirPeriod*/	0, 
/*randDirIntesity*/	3, 
/*onTimerScript*/	"", 
/*DestroyScript*/	"", 
/*Follow*/	_unit];

I'm also interested in the new arma3 bullet hit blood effects (with meat chunks flying), the new bloodstains on the ground, and the burning pieces of vehicles after the vehicle explodes. I would like to know how to create those via drop, so have a few questions for you...

1. How to do I find the p3d name for each effect?

2. How do I find the drop parameters that Bohemia is using for these effects? If I had to trial and error all the parameters for the object it would take forever. I'm guessing the parameters are buried in the game PBOs somewhere.

3. Any advice on how best track down these parameters so I can script these effects?

You're a Drop command guru, so your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JohnnyBoy

The ____ to success is...

The designated driver says," hand over your ___'s".

The governor just gave me the ___ to the city!

Have you ever traveled to the Florida ___'s

:o

The ____ to success is...

The designated driver says," hand over your ___'s".

The governor just gave me the ___ to the city!

Have you ever traveled to the Florida ___'s

:o

Can't help the feeling..... that there is some sort of.... subliminal message I should be getting....

Anyway, I made a new upload that includes the bikey :) grab it here. Also has a small fix to include divers who are close to the water surface and not fully submerged.

I thought it was funny, so, i did it... I hope you did also!

Thanks for the U-P-G-R-E-Y-E-D-D!!

@DMarkwick

Is it possible that you sent me a new link to this addon, it seems the archive we host is corrupted.

Thanks a lot for the fixed archive, Armaholic mirror repared :)

Edited by Guest

@DMarkwick

Is it possible that you sent me a new link to this addon, it seems the archive we host is corrupted.

Here you go :)

And, thanks for the hosting :)

I love this idea (kinda dark, I know).

Didn't want to work in MP though. I have the same issue/question also; anyway to set the time to longer? Would love to have just 1 fly show up after like 10 or 20 minutes. Then add 1 for every minute thereafter to a max of X. (maybe 7-12?)

Great work so far.

I love this idea (kinda dark, I know).

Didn't want to work in MP though. I have the same issue/question also; anyway to set the time to longer? Would love to have just 1 fly show up after like 10 or 20 minutes. Then add 1 for every minute thereafter to a max of X. (maybe 7-12?)

Great work so far.

Yea,, I would like to ask that as well .. is there any way to increase the time the flies show up .. they show up too soon and too many ... its like there at full force in just a few minutes ... any way you can change it so that the fly appearance time and amount are configurable?? Via userconfig? Other wise the only way to change it is to depbo the addon and do it yourself which renders its bisign usless and you can no longer use it on a server with verifysigs=2..

Just a heads up, This was just put on Playwith six ... and well its EMPTY...

Whom ever posted it on PlayWithSix forgot the Addons folder with the .pbo's in it .. and they Keys folder , and the readme......

the only thing in the folder is the sync file.....

I PMed sonsalt6, I think he is the guy that does the play with six upload stuff right?

I hope he can get that sorted out.

I loved this mod in A2.

Is it still working in A3 3.5 years after it's initial release?

I loved this mod in A2.

Is it still working in A3 3.5 years after it's initial release?

It is working for me :)

Sorry

Actualy flies sound don't work for me

It's like on mute

Maybe someone help, thanks

Hello Dmarkwick, I have always loved this mod, and have a few edits that kinda corrects some issues. 

You have not responded to this thread in some time and there have been no word or hit of your return here. I would like to post the changes i have made publicly for others to try, however, If you disapprove please respond. I'll remove it right away 

Your key for this mod has been broken for some time. so i have quickly resigned it, so other server admins can allow it on their servers. 

and the changes i made to your code for testing were :

1: createvehicle [0,0,0]; optimization, this creates the logic that the fly's spawn or are dropped from. at the dead body. check bis code optimization page. 200 times faster to use [0,0,0], and then set the final location. so thats what i did there.

2. increased the distance the fly sound was heard from 20 m to 50m in the sound config. and increased the volume by 0.10 . to address several comments and personal experience not being able to hear it.

3. the command "say3d" has a format { object say3D [sound, maxDistance, pitch]  } the way its written in your script say3d["soundname",1]; the "one" represents the Maxdistance heard. so i changed that to 50m as well. the idea here is that with a low volume they may not be able to hear it at 50 meters but its there as they get closer it fades in organically.

4. i changed some config settings in the "drop" command for the fly's particle. I reduced the timerperiod and the life time. now when fly's first start it looks like a few flys rather then a small hord, as time passes the effect of the mod is more dramatic. basically less particle life time means fewer overall / overlapping particles, in the beginning.

5. optimized under water check to make sure the body has died under water/ and body has ragdolled.

6. just added weight to the blood particles they will not float out of the water any more (hopefully 

7. and i just deleted some things that were redundant. comments etc.

8. No flies in the winter 

but again this is just temporary until Dmarkwick responds. this is just a few tweeks with a new key and sig so it can be used on servers with verifysignatures=2;

(dare i say i have not seen any mention about a license restriction but again. im not here to split hairs i just want to keep an awesome mod alive. So again, Dmarkwick if you dont approve of this please dont be to upset i just want to help, and ill be more then happy to remove it)

DOWNLOAD:   JTD_Flies_5a

• Like 5