Sign in to follow this  
dinoboy123

Building Turns invisible in certain corners/angles, clutter pops up inside

I'm hoping this is a dumb mistake i'm overlooking, but I cant seem to figure out a trend to why these buildings are glitching out. The first thing i noticed wrong is that clutter is popping up inside the buildings near the edges, which seems odd needless to say. I didn't scale the buildings in visitor, and they are all buildings from arma. The more important issue is that these buildings will disappear if you walk into the corners that have clutter. I provided pics below to help show the issue. If anyone has any idead it would be extremely helpful since I'm desperate to finish my map asap and this is derailing the entire process

Thanks

Andrew

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s612/andrew_voorhees32/ArmA2OA2013-03-3014-09-25-72_zpsebb746fc.png

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s612/andrew_voorhees32/ArmA2OA2013-03-3014-10-48-62_zps9144ef3f.png

well I don't know about the disappearing buildings portion but the clutter is because you need a ground surface underneath the building that has no clutter attached to it. same things with roads. usually like some sort of gravel texture with no clutter under the roads and buildings is how I did it

Hi dinoboy123

Firstly, M1lkm8n is absolutely correct... You need some sort of general-purpose urban/asphalt/gravel/old concrete... some sort of surface texture with no clutter assigned to it which you can use exactly as M1lkm8n describes, as an "underlay" for all those general-purpose areas where you don't want clutter to be a problem - under buildings, roads, runways, town squares, etc...

For the disappearing building... well, there ARE one or two A2 buildings which are legitimately dodgy... I'm sure someone on the Terrain Skype channel just recently had issues with.... eeeh... the big Cement Factory, or something.

However, I think I recognise the little "garage" building in your screenshots... one of my little favourites, I've used that building myself without issues, so your problem must be caused by something else.....

Hmmmm...

Firstly - have a good read of THIS POST...

It's about "disappearing sections" in Homers RoadPainter output - obviously that's not your problem, but the cause may be the same... "Base Texture Layer Size set too low"...

This is one of these dumb settings that by default is set wrongly whenever you start a brand new project in Visitor... If you don't set it to a more sensible level, then things will still work, but you'll get oddities, like AI wandering blindly and/or not following roads, stuff disappearing from certain angles, etc, etc...

Read that Post, check that setting - make sure it's AT LEAST double the size of your heightmap cell size - preferably 4x

(eg: - heightmap cell size = 5m, then you really want Base Texture Layer of 20mx20m if you can get away with it)

B

Hi dinoboy123

Firstly, M1lkm8n is absolutely correct... You need some sort of general-purpose urban/asphalt/gravel/old concrete... some sort of surface texture with no clutter assigned to it which you can use exactly as M1lkm8n describes, as an "underlay" for all those general-purpose areas where you don't want clutter to be a problem - under buildings, roads, runways, town squares, etc...

For the disappearing building... well, there ARE one or two A2 buildings which are legitimately dodgy... I'm sure someone on the Terrain Skype channel just recently had issues with.... eeeh... the big Cement Factory, or something.

However, I think I recognise the little "garage" building in your screenshots... one of my little favourites, I've used that building myself without issues, so your problem must be caused by something else.....

Hmmmm...

Firstly - have a good read of THIS POST...

It's about "disappearing sections" in Homers RoadPainter output - obviously that's not your problem, but the cause may be the same... "Base Texture Layer Size set too low"...

This is one of these dumb settings that by default is set wrongly whenever you start a brand new project in Visitor... If you don't set it to a more sensible level, then things will still work, but you'll get oddities, like AI wandering blindly and/or not following roads, stuff disappearing from certain angles, etc, etc...

Read that Post, check that setting - make sure it's AT LEAST double the size of your heightmap cell size - preferably 4x

(eg: - heightmap cell size = 5m, then you really want Base Texture Layer of 20mx20m if you can get away with it)

B

Unfortunately i came to a similar realization last night, after noticing how clutter was popping up in a distinct grid smaller than the actual size of the building. I had been using a 1024 grid height map with 10 m per per grid, giving a reasonable 10 k by 10 k map size. It looks like i can barely get away with using 18 m by 18 m, without too much glitching, but its effects on mountain steepness is definitely noticeable. It seems that the issue only affects larger buildings, like the hangar, since the distortion between the visibible building, and its actual grid size, gets scaled up.

I tried importing my height field as a 512, despite it being a 1024, and it just got scaled awkwardly in visitor 3, so hopefully l3dt can use the same height field and export it as a 512 so i dont have to start the project from scratch.

Thanks a ton for the advice from both of you! hopefully others will avoid this mistake!

*I havent tried editing the texture layer yet, just have messed around with the terrain cell size, hopefully this will fix my problem without having to make my map too big

Edited by dinoboy123

I havent tried editing the texture layer yet, just have messed around with the terrain cell size

You shouldn't have to mess around with your terrain size or cell size at all...

eg: you're using a 1024 x 1024 with 10m cells - a good standard size... Go to that Base Texture Layer parameter - make sure it's set to 20x20m, or better still 40x40m - that - should - solve all these oddities without any further messing around...

* "Base Texture Layer" has no effect on actual terrain SIZE, it's basically just an internal parameter used by the Engine... You can keep your terrain whatever size you originally wanted - 1024x1024@10m = 10.24x10.24km - that's fine - no need to mess with it...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

i bumped it up to 20 m, and it seems to work great, so i think i will leave it be. What value is this tweaking anyhow? I havent noticed any change in the terrain, attributes, or terrain cell size?

Thanks for the advice

I guess it's just how it scales the ground texture. Into 20x20m pieces or 40x40 etc..?