Sign in to follow this  
androkiller

Xbox Controller Better Mapping

Hello,

please note that Arma series, including the third installment, has not been developed with perfect Xbox controller compatibility in mind. The games have much more functions than a controller can provide, therefore the mapping will never be perfect. That is why Arma games are PC only.

As of now there are no plans on changing Xbox controller support in Arma 3 but that can still be changed before release.

On Mon Mar 18 10:58:04 2013, Alexander Dorozynski wrote:

> I use a Xbox controller for flying helicopters in both Arma 3 and 2,

> due to the default mapping does not satisfy my needs I custom map

> the controller. However i have not been able to find a appropriate

> way to map the right analogue stick for my view, I have used the

> the TrackIR analogue configuration for the view, however its is

> very jumpy and feels like its works in steps instead of a smooth

> analogue way. I have had both problems in Arma 3 and 2 is there a

> option which I should be using instead which i have not found, or

> if there is not an alternative could you please implement this into

> the games because I would feel that it would be a great feature to

> have as me being a student cant afford a decent joystick to use for

> flying and also controlling the view.

> Also is there a way of mapping one button on the controller to turn

> both auto hover on and off because I could not set it to do so e.g

> is there a way to configure 2x the button (double tap).

>

> Yours Sincerely Alex Dorozynski

--

Best regards,

Jan Libich

STORE.Bistudio.com/support

I emailed Bohemia suggesting that the mapping of the right analogue stick for view could be done better. Due to that I have to custom map the controller for Flying there is not a reasonable function to map it with, that works seamlessly. Therefore I am posting this for some awareness so that this feature could get implemented. Because not everyone has the money for a decent joystick and a TrackIR, the use of a xbox controller is a good alternative and if the controller could be better mapped it would save alot of hassle for people who would like to use the xbox controller for flying.

To summarise the Fix that I suggest is:

1) A view function which works seamlessly with the right analogue stick instead of using the "TrackIR Analogue" functions.

2)A Feature which allows the double-tapping for buttons.(2xButton 11) Like on the keyboard for Voice over net.(Not so important but would be a nice feature as there are enough buttons to map for flying)

I like the mapping layout for flying in ARMA 2 but I'm not use to the one in ARMA 3 where I have to use the bumpers to turn and the trigger to go up and down. I prefer sticks for that.

-snip-

Have you tried disabling the 360 Scheme to make it fully customizable?

As for the Auto-Hover I have both On and Off mapped to pushing the left analog stick and it works flawlessly. For everything else use either XPadder or Pinnacle Game Profiler and problems solved.

iTHJizA.jpg

Edited by SIMJEDI

Yes of course i have disabled the custom scheme of the xbox controller but when you do the right analogue stick seems useless because there is no go function to map it with except the TrackIR functions for controlling the view, and thats what i really want them to implement into the game because its sooooooo nice flying and being able to look into your turns. Otherwise all the other things i want to do with the helicopter or jet work fine i just want a better view function that i can map specifically for the right analogue stick.

i just want a better view function that i can map specifically for the right analogue stick.

Either of the two programs I pointed out allow you to do this and much more. You should really check them out.

ok but when setting freelook how you do it:

make the right analogue stick act like a mouse in xpadder but then when in game how you map it?

I also like using the xbox360 controller and the default setting is good, however we need the ability to edit the curves and even modify the default profile as I am also using it in conjunction with TrackIR 5

is there anyway currently to manually edit or copy the default settings for the xbox360 controller ? if so where is its location

keep up the good work

I´d like to get Bulldozer Control settings back into the game, so i can remap it to XBox pad without fiddling in the config files.

Using xbox pad for camera.sqs gives you awesome control over the thing, everyone should try it!

Just having such a nightmare trying to map the xbox controller, especially for scoped weapons. The default profile is great it just needs tweaking so you can add grenade throw and a few other things. In my opinion the menu buttons should be left to the keyboard, leaving the switches free for combat and movement.

At least have the xbox default profile available to select to be mapped when you disable it in controllers

EDIT

I have overcome all of my issues by purchasing xpadder and mapping the controller out of game. Much easier lol

Edited by bignewy

Using a ps3 controller here. I had no trouble mapping what I wanted where I wanted it. Does the 360 pad not issue direct axis inputs from the sticks?

I was unable to map any button on my xbox 360 controller and the default mapping ( especially for vehicles ) is just out of place bad.

Well we be able to assign any function to controllers in the future or will we have to choose from pre-defined keys?

I hope they make it fully customizable, including combinations of buttons and triggers. A game with so many controls as Arma 3 definitelly needs this for (x360) controllers. :)

They need to at least let us use the triggers as triggers, I only ever us Xpadder to asign the left trigger as it will not work when configuring it in Game.

The possibilty for double taps, hold and button combination configurations would be nice too.

This definitely needs some attention. I hate flying with mouse and keyboard and so far have been unable to fly any of the lovely arma 3 helicopters because of the current silly Xbox 360 controller layout. Rudder and fire mapped to same trigger is a bug that needs sorted asap

Give us the option to load the Arma 2 Xbox controller layout.

Give us the option to load the Arma 2 Xbox controller layout.

Would be better if we could just customize it all ourselves.. And then share profiles if needed so

I agree 100%, fully customisable would be great but at the very least let us use the arma 2 layout.

If fully customisable we need it to be easier & not this confusing disable / enable profile we have currently..

Currently if I make a custom profile by disabling default profile and then pain stakingly mapping each button to a new function it does save but if I then exit arma 3 and restart it it doesn't load automatically like the default profile does. I have to go back into controls and reenable it.

The whole thing needs redone if u ask me and sooner rather than later so those beta testers who use the Xbox controllers can give some feedback on helicopter handling rather than spending most their time fiddling around in the confusing control menus.

Bis please tell us this will be sorted for release? An Xbox controller is a common input device. We can't fly attack choppers properly as it is

Using xbox pad for camera.sqs gives you awesome control over the thing, everyone should try it!

I've been wanting to do this for a LONG time. How do you configure that?

I had no problems configuring it to fly helicopters, but using the Splendid Camera, for instance, with the analog sticks would be awesome.

edited: well, solved. You can always import Bulldozer controls from Arma 2 into your Arma 3 profile, in case anyone else was wondering as well.

Edited by rakowozz

I've been wanting to do this for a LONG time. How do you configure that?had no problems configuring it t fly helicopters, but he Splendid Camera, for instance, with Xbox analog sticks would be awesome.

edited: well, solved. You can always import Bulldozer controls from Arma 2 into your Arma 3 profile, in case anyone else was wondering as well.

Ok but the issue here is accessability, I should be able to just plug my pad in and fly and shoot with an attack chopper

Currently rudder and fire are bound to right trigger. It's not immediatley obvious how to remap xbox buttons. Plus if I remap fire as right trigger it doesnt fire. Plus vehicle controls on xbox pad are ok but once I choose customise I have to redo for all vehicles and inf controls

For the love of all thats holy please just give us an invert switch for looking and flying on either stick(as in invert up and down directions)! It seems so simple to me but has never been done simple in any way.as it is now the default controls as far as sencitivity is great and the layout is just fine for me...The major problem is when trying to look down I have always pushed up on the stick and UP is down.Flight sims for years and RC planes for years,etc. Its kind of like asking me to use the brake pedal for throttle and throttle for brake lol.NOT gonna happen... When I try and remap all good control is gone.Unless i'm doing something wrong the sticks never feel right and turn rate,etc goes all to hell no matter what I set stuff at.DEFAULT layout with invert options gets my vote :) .Tried Xpadder and wasted a couple hours of my life trying to get the invert to work. ...Maybe i'm missing something but it shouldn't be this hard for this long.Love your work Bohemia and the games for many,MANY years but this 360 controller thing is just.Well blows my mind it hasn't been properly addressed yet.Maybe tomorrow??? LOL :) .Mainly just want this for Helis and flight.No replacement for mouse and keyvboard for other stuff imo.

Edited by cotabucky

I just spent the last three hours trying to configure my xbox controller satisfactorily.

I loaded up a hummingbird and was very pleased with how much better it flew with the controller versus the mouse. Really the only thing I wanted to change so far was the B button from a "toggle right analog look" to a "center view".

Then I realized how HORRIBLE the experience of trying to configure your controller is.

I attempted to just rebind everything, and even then the view wouldn't operate as smoothly as the default setting would.

So I gave up and figured I would deal with the default settings.

Then I loaded the jet...WTF.

Fire and right rudder are the same thing?! And since you can't just tweak the default profile, you're stuck with a shitty custom layout, or a completely unusable default layout. It's one thing to say that the controller support isn't a big priority, as this is a PC game. It's an entirely other thing to put in a half-assed controller profile that is so bad the developers should be embarrassed.

Hello gentleman FYI I use a program called Xpadder that allows me to have ~ 90 % of all the key commands from ARM2 using my Xbox control.

Xpadder is one of the best solutions to this problem. This awesome utility is able to simulate the mouse and keyboard in almost any game, while allowing you to fully customize the functionality of the console.

Xpadder doesn’t need installation and leaves no traces in your computer registry. When you run it for the first time, it prompts you to choose the folder for saving the profiles and places a desktop shortcut for easy access.

Xpadder is able to read up to sixteen controllers and to assign the most popular key combinations and mouse gestures. It features a turbo mode and can configure no less than eight sets of controls in each profile.

The application automatically detects when you connect a controller and once the connection is established, configuration is at your fingertips. You can save different profiles for each of the games you plan on playing or for each of the consoles you own.

Setting up a profile is not rocket science. You can assign it an image (generally, of the controller model or of the game – templates are available on the developer’s website), followed by placing the sticks, additional buttons and triggers, then press ‘Finish’.

The next step is to assign keyboard or mouse shortcuts to each of the sticks / buttons. You can use virtually any hotkey you wish and enable Turbo mode for key pressing. When configuring Mouse Options, you can customize the emulation speed and perform little tests just to make sure it’s set to the right amount.

Once the configuration is done properly, you can fully enjoy the advantages of consoles in a game that normally does not support controllers. The only games that cannot be used in harmony with Xpadder are the ones that use GameGuard (an anti-cheating rootkit).

Xpadder description

Here are some key features of "Xpadder":

· Full keyboard and mouse emulation

· Rumble support for capable controllers

· Constantly updated controller database

· Multiple profile management

· Advanced fine-tuning options

· Low CPU and memory usage

What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]

· Added extended information for EnumDevices errors

· Added Windows 8 and Windows Server 8 support

· Added TapTime slot

· Added Profile menu Recent option and changed Open to use open dialog (suggested by Reboot)

· Added option for individual controller files for identical controllers

· Added list scrollbar scrolling

· Added "Return all windows to primary monitor" tray option

· Added "Allow multi-monitor window positioning" option

· Added automatic Watch edit to new AutoProfiles (thanks to Primal Fear)

· Added automatic indenting of detail dialog values

· Added advanced assignment time/distance value saving across advanced assignment window closes (thanks to Primal Fear)

· Added program exit option from first run legal dialogs

· Added "Show debug settings" option

· Added Set naming

· Added Set Settings window

· Added Set clearing

· Added menu to Stick and DPad Settings windows

· Added Ok buttons to Profile Settings windows (profile, stick, dpad, trigger, set, mouse)

· Added Dialog Help About text to Cop...

The third party app is great and all but that's not how it should be. Fair enough if I was attempting to get some rare HOTAS stick to work but we are probably talking about the most common input device after mouse and keyboard. Arma 3 in it's current state doesn't fully support it.

BIS please for the love of god sort this out. How many new players lured in by your claims off better accessability are going to stop playing pretty damn quick because they can't enjoy easily one of the most exciting aspects to arma, that is, flying and shooting.

This isn't rocket science, just give us the perfect arma 2 Xbox controller setup or remove the stupid double bind for right trigger.

For the love of all thats holy please just give us an invert switch for looking and flying on either stick(as in invert up and down directions)! It seems so simple to me but has never been done simple in any way.as it is now the default controls as far as sencitivity is great and the layout is just fine for me...The major problem is when trying to look down I have always pushed up on the stick and UP is down.Flight sims for years and RC planes for years,etc. Its kind of like asking me to use the brake pedal for throttle and throttle for brake lol.NOT gonna happen... When I try and remap all good control is gone.Unless i'm doing something wrong the sticks never feel right and turn rate,etc goes all to hell no matter what I set stuff at.DEFAULT layout with invert options gets my vote :) .Tried Xpadder and wasted a couple hours of my life trying to get the invert to work. ...Maybe i'm missing something but it shouldn't be this hard for this long.Love your work Bohemia and the games for many,MANY years but this 360 controller thing is just.Well blows my mind it hasn't been properly addressed yet.Maybe tomorrow??? LOL :) .Mainly just want this for Helis and flight.No replacement for mouse and keyvboard for other stuff imo.

I agree !!!!

Game will just have to sit til its fixed.

Been using invert for years.