Sign in to follow this  
foxfan911

SSD (Solid State Drive) performance???

Hey guys! As we are all aware, the Take on Helicopters engine is CPU and HDD hungry. I was wondering if anybody is using an SSD with Take on Helicopters and if so, how it is performing. Especially if someone has went from HDD to SSD with Take on Helicopters, what were the performance gains, and were they noticeable/appreciable. I am looking to get an SSD real soon, so I'd just like to hear some feedback about their performance with Take On Helicopters.

Hey guys! As we are all aware, the Take on Helicopters engine is CPU and HDD hungry. I was wondering if anybody is using an SSD with Take on Helicopters and if so, how it is performing. Especially if someone has went from HDD to SSD with Take on Helicopters, what were the performance gains, and were they noticeable/appreciable. I am looking to get an SSD real soon, so I'd just like to hear some feedback about their performance with Take On Helicopters.

I can only tell for Arma2 and OA: huge increase of speed of everything ...

Yesterday I saw a 120Gbyte-SSD in online shop for 79 € with 5 good customer opinions.

I have bought, installed and used by now four 128 GBayte SSDs in three different PC/Notebooks from ASATA: fast, no problems since 8 months (on Linuxes, XP, W7, W8).

Generally there will be a lot of better performance on your computer but it is not so necessary for take on helicopters. It would be better to buy a better graphic's Card. It would really help since there are a lot of graphics in TOH. Or maybe some more RAM to gain the intended faster performance.

Yeah, I have a Sapphire Radeon 6970, which is very powerful and blistering fast, so no bottleneck there. Overclocked AMD Phenom II, so no bottleneck there. The only bottleneck I have left is the HDD. When reading through the video settings guide (sticky thread), it stated that the game is heavily dependent on CPU and HDD- so, it looks like that is the only room for improvement I can make.

Truthbetold I'd take the leap on a SSD irrespective of what people here are saying -- Arma 2 has had a history of "better performance from a SSD" feedback, and the TKOH engine is derived from that engine.

Right, I agree since the TKOH engine is basically the same, it will probably yield great performance. We'll see because I'm about to place my order. I will report my results.

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Rave reviews on newegg. This is their recommended gaming SSD.

Just be aware that it's been out for about six months at most -- though if that's a non-issue, I'm not aware of anything actually wrong with them (unlike what I've heard about OCZ).

Well guys I hope you are right but to tell you the truth I have no SSD drive on the computer that I am playing this game, I have also got one with SSD, and things are going extremely well even in the highest details and graphics. I have never had a problem even in many other games with much more strict requirements. Looking forward for the results of your upgrade.

I've done a full upgrade here this week, and had an interesting experience.

My SSD didn't arrive until a few days after the computer, so I did get to try out TOH on the same system, on a HD and on an SSD.

I can say from first hand experience, it makes a huge difference, especially as you're looking around and moving about. The engine is streaming assets from disk, so the faster you can do it, the smoother performance you'll get.

My system specs, for reference:

Core i7 3820

32 GB RAM

Geforce GTX 690

Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 2TB HD

Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD

Long story short, get an SSD. ;)

Cheers

32 GB Ram??? Man that is way off... Hope you really enjoy your PC.

And well if you say so although I can't say that I will buy an SSD, I congratulate you for your options....:satisfied:

I'm really happy with my Samsung 840 250GB SSD. System/arma wise it really made a difference.

Ah yeah, another word of advice, there are good SSDs and there are not-so-good ones. The difference between them can be very dramatic, much more so than with mechanical drives. Make sure to read through all the specs for the SSDs, and compare them to a higher priced one of the same capacity to see how it stacks up, so you can find the best one for your buck.

Personally, I suggest the Samsung 840 or 840 Pro ones. They're very good value for their capacity/specs.

Cheers

I've heard to go straight for the 840 Pro, skip the 840, if you're limited to those two choices.

I got the 840 Pro 250 and it is really nice. After research and personal use, this is definitely the one I would recommend.

normal 840 TLC dies out quite fast, even the 830 MLC was 10 times more reliable ....

840 Pro is MLC and seems on par with 830 and 830 Pro with reliability while better performance