Sign in to follow this  
Wolfstriked

New take on Arma's keyboard control......

Hello fellas,just wanna tell of my findings with tweaking with A3's control setup.My goal was to remove the key dancing that a game like A3 with so many controls causes.I think I achieved that goal rather well.Took me two days of testing all different combos and getting conflicts everywhere while surprisingly at same time it allowed certain key presses to work!!

What I changed is as follows.....

Put crouch/stand to the mouse scroll wheel and this feels worlds better as its intuitive now.Tried the stances but it interfered with firing the weapon since the firing finger was being used to move scroll wheel and that made it clumsy.

Put run/walk toggle as.....W+F,S+F,A+F,D+F.You have to stop movement to hit F to change firing mode but that is mute now compared to how intuitive this system feels and while at same time you will rarely hit F without knowing it.

Put sprint as.... HOLD W+S and this also feels perfect and better than W+S as the walk toggle.

Put Left SHIFT as look around and also ADJUST.Slight conflict but I have managed to not get irked by it by not looking around when changing stances.

Put LEFT SHIFT+D and LEFT SHIFT +A to cancel out the ADJUST lean stance but you can leave this alone if you like it.

Put optics mode to middle mouse button since it causes lag when it was CLICK Rmouse.Now HOLD Rmouse zooms instantly(an idea I read here on this forum)

Put GO PRONE as the SPACE BAR.Feels way better as its big and VERY easy to hit so your more confident when in trouble compared to twisting your finger down to the Z key.;) To get up press SPACE bar/mouse wheel up or if you wanna get up from prone into crouched position press Mouse wheel back.

Z/X/C are binos,compass and watch.

CAPS LOCK is use default action and CAPS LOCK+ A or D is scroll up and down the list.I removed the scrolling of actions with mouse wheel since I bound it to crouch and stand and it interfered too much with me popping my head out of cover.Scroll wheel is just you crouched or standing.:cool::cool:

Edited by Wolfstriked

I use the controls I am always using in games. When I lay my hand on the WASD layout, the fingers are naturally lying on all the keys that are of most importance and thus are immediately operable - the thumb is on the Space bar and controls the movement toggle, the pinky is on the Left Shift key and operates the duck/crouch. I can quickly access the Left Alt key wit the thumb as it is near the space bar to go prone and can easily access the Left Ctrl key to hold it down for sprinting (though I use the X key right now, as the Ctrl is bugged beyond repair right now). The ring finger is on A, middle finger on W (and S) and the index finger on D. WASD is obviously for movement and instantly accessible as well. I can easily reach out for Tab with the ring finger to use the W and S keys to change stances. F is easily accessible by the index finger to activate things (use key), also X, C, R and G are very easy to access with the index finger for secondary functions. The mouse side buttons control the weapon lowering and freelook.

Basically I just lay my open hand on the keyboard and got all important functions covered and immediately usable without finger displacement. I don't get how to use an important action with something like the Z key, lol. The movement pace function is the most important for me in a realistic game, hence it has the largest button (space). I can go prone, duck, start to sprint and change movement pace without even letting go of the direction keys and thus perform them all in mid movement (any direction). I think about to use the Left Ctrl for prone, that way I'd use the Shift for duck and the key below it to go lower in stance (note the logical pattern) and Left Alt to sprint while Space to toggle run/walk (also two movement pace related nearby keys operated with same finger - logical pattern).

I was always riding with that control scheme and always will, because there is nothing better for me. Only problem is that in ArmA3 the controls are so screwed that I struggled even with this perfect scheme, lol.

Edited by Psychomorph

Am I the only one that uses an arrow keys-based keyboard setup? I find it a lot easier to not mash the controls when I need to do rapid movements, and when I'm under pressure from a sudden fright (happens more in MP than SP). I've died a few times because I accidentally hit "jump" instead of "strafe right" in a moment of panic, so I've found spacing things out helps a lot. Less important controls can go in the regular part of the keyboard (gear, light, map, etc).

A3 is super fluent for me now with this new system.I think what is happening is that I put some of the movement tasks to my right hand and that instantly eases my brain.I read that left side of brain controls left side of body and vice versa so I went from single core to dual core.Why throw the thought process for movement speeds plus stance to one hand when you can use both hands for easier feel?

Left hand=direction/walk-run/sprint/lean

Right hand=direction/stance/fire/optics/zoom

Its like I run at a corner and before these changes I would be like oh shit.....hit SHIFT to crouch/hit SPACE to slow down and kinda get confused and now its very fluent.

Try sprint as W+S key as it is very intuitive.Plus now that I have ZXC free I use these for those very handy keys of compass/optics mode etc.

I have used the numpad since OFP 2001. That way I can have all movement keys in logical order and dont have to rely on shift to walk etc.

I had to rearrange some but this is the basics. I also use doubletap, for example if I doubletap lean it stays in leaned position. I use the arrowkeys for zoom and sight adjustments and page up/down for stance up/down (no need for the 3 defined stance keys). As I have an EZ-9900 keyboard I have an extra row of keys that I use. (http://www.electromike.ca/fileadmin/images/produits/450/P1194_KB-EZ-9900_EZ-9900-Clavier-Generique-Noir-USB-Canadien-Francais.jpg

I use the rest of those keys for stance adjustment, lock, reveal and other stuff I want close. Enter is gear, G GPS, M map and so on.

The numpad makes for a logical setup for movements without any shift combo juggling that my stiff fingers and poor brain cant handle. Works just fine for cars and boats too.

numo.jpg

If BIS give us more control over stance adjustment so we can define what keys should change it I could use double taps to get around it all in a very logical and fluent way. Right now the stance adjustments are a bit clunky (regardless of setup). For me more keys to define is no problem, bring it on! Rctrl is close and with double taps I can do whatever :)

I'm not usually one to go on much about peripherals, but I purchased a Razer Naga last year for MMO gaming and I absolutely love it. I honestly do not know how I would play without the extra buttons on my mouse. IIRC 1 is optics, 2 is toggle fire, 3 is switch to pistol, 4 is switch optics, 5 is freelook, 6 is zoom; and those are just the controls I feel are essential (ok, maybe not fire selection) for using my weapon. Having them on the same hand as the aiming control feels incredibly natural. Of course they still have to be bound to a keyboard key, but I can bind them to keys that are far out of the way of WASD, cramming more movement controls under my left hand without having to use double-presses (which seem to cause the key to lag a bit on a single press, something I can't stand).

Since the Naga came out I think a few other companies have launched similar products. If you're shopping for a new mouse I'd highly suggest checking out one with a metric shit ton of thumb buttons. I could never go back to a 5 or 6 button mouse.

Decent mouse and either Razer Nostromo, CS Keypad, Logitech G13, or the Orbsweaver, forget the keyboard, left hand on one, right on the other and they don’t really leave either during game-play.

I have the Nos and the CS, may possibly change the Nos for the Orbsweaver, not sure yet.. The Nostromo is fully configurable whereas the CS Keypad is not, it has some set keys, but even that is very workable. Not sure regards Logitech, not seen that one working, the Orbsweaver is going to be more or less the Nos with the thumb stick removed and a few extra buttons to replace its functions, but still looks a possible option..

Easiest solution I have found, been pc gaming from the start and its always been bad using keyboards, unless you pull it over to the side for comfort, even then its not great. The peripherals mentioned have made it better for me than any other option I've tried, they are well worth a look. But its all about whatever rocks your boat..

Side note; sold my Nega Epic, too small those buttons, started hitting the wrong ones, went back to my Kone Plus. Nega was a nice mouse but maybe my thumb isn’t as nimble as it used to be.:p.

Normal setup/options configed to the mouse are; walk, freelook, mirrors, reload, scope, dpi change, then obviously left and right main mouse buttons, scroll is for scroll.

The Nostromo, well, for everything else really..

Just got the CS Keypad, got to think about that one, still playing around with it..

:)

Wow,so many different takes on a comfortable controls setup.I have been thru them all.;) Thought about the Nostromo but never went that route.Did splurge on a nice mouse though,the Vengeance M65 though its not a ton of buttons setup like the Naga but it has a few more then a normal mouse.

What I love about my new setup is that the important things of lean/up and crouch and the new stances are all done smoothly since its on two hands now.Before I would get to a corner and press E and the with same finger I would press D to move slowly to peak around corner.Now if I had to suddenly crouch or stand up.....well since my index finger is already preoccupied with two tasks I entered clunkyland and had to contort my thump onto the C key.Now my right hand takes over crouch function making for a feeling of ease like I felt with normal WASD shooters,or as close to it as possible LOL.

Anderson,I got the stance adjust to work on the mouse scroll wheel so it may work with your setup.I didn't like it because I had to lift my index finger off the fire button to adjust the scroll wheel though that's being nitpicky.:j: For your setup you could try using the UP arrow key as your stance adjust since it naturally falls onto it when your left hand is placed over the numpad.Press UP and use mouse scroll wheel to adjust stances.Down arrow could be free look.Good luck!

Edited by Wolfstriked

WASDQE - classic

F- change weapon fire mod, select action from menu

TAB (hold) - Show Compas

Caps Lock -Toggle Map

Shift -W- Sprint

Left Ctrl - Toggle Down/Up

C -Toggle Crouch/Up

X- toggle first person to third person

Z - change walk mode to weapon at the ready

Left Windows - Get out + Eject

Left Alt -Free Look

(moved stances on the Right Ctrl, still looking for a better solution)

T - target enemy

now the funny part:

SPACE - optic (most used)

Arrows UP and DOWN - Zoom In and Zoom Out

Arrows LEFT and RIGHT- Toggle gunner view, Next Weapon

Both of the above used as a gunner in vehicle, nothing else needed.

Right Mouse -zoom in

Middle Mouse - reserved for communication, Teamspeak, ACRE etc

Edited by afp

Very nice. How do you bind the windows key to game controls? Is that a feature in newer Windows OSes that I'm not aware of or special to your keyboard?

Wolf, I'm definitely going to check out using some ideas from your set up. I hate playing Twister on my keyboard when I'm trying to lean and move so I have both lean and toggle lean bound, but that's still not very convenient.

[TABLE=class: outer_border, width: 200, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Movement[/TD]

[TD]Arrow keys[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sprint[/TD]

[TD]R Shift[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Jump[/TD]

[TD]Num7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Use[/TD]

[TD]End[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Look[/TD]

[TD]Num 0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Freelook[/TD]

[TD]Num .[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Stance up[/TD]

[TD]Ins[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Prone[/TD]

[TD]PgDwn[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Reload[/TD]

[TD]\[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Crouch[/TD]

[TD]R Ctrl[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Stance Adjust[/TD]

[TD]Enter+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Optics[/TD]

[TD]Home[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Run/Walk[/TD]

[TD]Del[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tac Pace[/TD]

[TD]Num 1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Talk VON[/TD]

[TD]Num 2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sidearm[/TD]

[TD]Num 4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3rd Person[/TD]

[TD]Num Enter[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]NVG[/TD]

[TD]Num +[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Binos[/TD]

[TD]Num -[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]GPS[/TD]

[TD]Num /[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Compass[/TD]

[TD]Num *[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Watch[/TD]

[TD]Num 9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Optics Mode[/TD]

[TD]Num 8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Weapon Raise[/TD]

[TD]PgUp[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lean[/TD]

[TD], .[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fire Mode[/TD]

[TD]'[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The only issue I have with this is the difficulty of using lean. It requires removing my hand from the movement keys to use, but with the new stance adjust lean, it's less of an issue than before. Additional keys, for map and such are on the right side of the letters area. I use them much less often, so having them in easy reach isn't as important, especially if it means I'm not going to need the movement keys (not in direct combat).

This system is easy to use because finding the buttons with your fingers is easy without looking (save leaning), and you don't risk accidentally smashing anything when excited.

Very nice. How do you bind the windows key to game controls? Is that a feature in newer Windows OSes that I'm not aware of or special to your keyboard?

I'm not sure, it just works. I think some time ago even I binded double left windows key to "get out", so it wont perform an "eject" while the plane at the ground. You don't have any problems with other vehicles. So I made it like:

windows key single - Get Out + Eject

windows key double tap - Get Out alone (for planes on the ground)

Arma 3 is great in that you can assign multiple commands to a key and then also dbl tap the key for more.Stuff I am trying....

SHIFT now controls ADJUST,Look and now newly added dbl tap SHIFT to open gear

Simple change I did is to put SPACE as go prone instead of prone.This now means that now scroll wheel up/down and SPACE bar are the 3 stances for that certainty of stance that is missing.

I have started using my rudder pedals for lean and works great,just needed to change the software so that the slightest push of a pedal cause the full rudder throw.

Now E/Q is empty I use E as default action,Q is next.Coupled with SHIFT as gear I am covered there.

DBL tap E is switch to handgun.E is now reload also when its default action.

IMO the way to get rid of key dancing is to relegate the Z,X,C keys to less important tasks like compass etc removing that annoying finger dancing.

Edited by Wolfstriked

Wolf, I'm definitely going to check out using some ideas from your set up. I hate playing Twister on my keyboard when I'm trying to lean and move so I have both lean and toggle lean bound, but that's still not very convenient.

Im using windows 7, and when im not in game it works the startmenu, but in game it doesn't trigger it. Personally i have that mapped to 3rd person view

Thanks! I've been either prying the key off or disabling it almost as long as I've been gaming. I had no idea that wasn't necessary any more. I'm happier about that than I probably should be.

When I first began playing FPS games back in 2001 my friend James taught me how to place my hands on the keys. He showed me that Q and E were for strafing Left and Right. What I didn't realize for a long time was that he played with Q and E to strafe because he had a disability and was missing a left ring finger. I got so used to playing with Q and E that I never changed it and it feels real good. As far as driving and Flying, I do use A and D to make my turns.

So... the keys I have change thus far are not many but this is what I got so far.

Q Strafe Left

E Strafe Right

A Lean Left (x2 A to stay leaned and evasive left)

D Lean Right (x2 D to stay leaned and evasive right)

G Gear (I had to put this back where it was)

C Stand Up (Toggle)

Mouse 5 Combat Pace Toggle

Num 5 Grenade (Razer Naga KeyPad)

Mouse 4 Adjust

Num 8 Toggle View (Razer Naga KeyPad)

Num 7 Push to Talk (Razer Naga KeyPad)

Caps LK Walk and Toggle Walk (2x)

Edited by esham
Updated Keybinds

this thread is quite brilliant! wish the game would ship with more than just 2 presets or let us save as many as we want and import/export it to steam

Even more finds.:D I now have mapped the dreaded squad commands to the Q n E key.So Q is NEXT but if I dbl tap Q it brings up squad menu and then I can cycle thru the list with single tap Q and press E to select.The thread might be quite brilliant but the ability to put so many commands to single keys that in which Arma allows is pure brilliance!:yay:

WASDQE - Arma 3 Default

Z\X\C - Classic Arma 2 Down\Crouch\Up

Shit-L (Hold) - Combat Pace

2xShit-L - Toggle Walk\Run

Shit-L + Space (Hold both) - Sprint

Alt - Default Free Look

CTRL + WASD - Arma 3 Default Stance Changer

I found these binds pretty comfortable and intuitive, while using the basic WASD you'll just walk in the Tactical Pace, running with your weapon ready, while holding Shit-L you'll go in the Combat Pace, running with your weapon down (it's like the classic Arma 2 controls), if you have to sprint just start holding the Space while running, you can't use the Alt Free Look while sprinting or you can but it's uneasy, however you don't need to look around while sprinting since you are focusing more on the position you want to reach than the surrounding enviroment.

I know that the Z\X\C for change stance is a waste, since you can easily do it with just 2 binds, but i'm too used to the Arma 2 system. :p

Shift+Alt = Combat Mode

Shift = Hold Breath/Sprint

T = Target

2xT = Throw Grenade

Ctrl+T = Grenade Type

Ctrl+C = Laser/Light/Vehicle Lights

G = Gear

Ctrl+X = Stand

Ctrl+Z = Vault

V = Teamspeak PTT

Everything else is basically standard

I'm sort of a control-freak and I love binding advanced setups to my gear.

I'm in the middle of configuring my controls and just now realized I haven't got anything bound to Home, scroll up, scroll down and didn't have anything useful on left so I put zeroing there. Awkwaaard... anyways:

cpkzhh8.jpg

Note: bugs!

In reality I use ENTER and not SPACE because of a bug in the showcase that would make music start playing instead of actions being used when pressing space. So any reference to space above is in fact to enter.

In reality UP does not hide the map either because of a bug, instead I use UPUP.

Esc is esc.

Shift is for sprinting but also holding my breath Crysis-style. I tried having holding breath on my mouse side buttons but it was very uncomfortable and interfered with my aiming. Not sure where else to put it.

Ctrl is adjust because I think it's the only button you can bind to the mouse using the Ctrl+primary mouse, Ctrl+secondary mouse, Ctrl+middle mouse in the options menu. I wouldn't bind control to anything else. It has great capabilities.

WASD for easy movement naturally. Since my keypad only has 5-button rows I have to put movement directly to the right of shift and using any setup that uses three or more buttons vertically for movement won't work well either. So I WASD.

Q/QQ, E/EE for leaning which is the most natural thing and something you really use in ArmA so you really should have it well-bound.

ZXC for changing stances. Three keys is very many, but since I have exactly three keys below three-width my movement cluster (WASD) it is very intuitive and I like having something useful directly below S so I can use it with my middle finger.

Ctrl+Z to mantle, I forgot to add that to the picture. It's sort of an advanced input but I rarely mantle so it feels appropriate. If you want you could bind Ctrl+X or Ctrl+Z to sit to go in line with that.

If you want something more button-effective it's probably possible to bind Z to "Up" (stand/crouch) and Ctrl+Z to "Go prone" to keep all stances on one button! I'm gonna try it out later.

R to reload. A bit away from all other buttons where it's not in the way. I've also considered having Ctrl+Right mouse button reload which feels really cool but I'm really scared of accidentally reloading, which hasn't happen while trying it out though.

G for grenades. Out of the way but reachable.

Pgup, pgdown and space for using the actions menu which feels great on the Nostromo but naturally would be something very different for keyboard users.

If I was using a keyboard I'd put that on the middle mouse button no argument. Unless you're using a RAT mouse which has two scroll wheels lol.

Alt for looking around. Double tapping it does not freelook because then I find myself triggering it by accident.

Up for map. Ctrl+up for diary which I rarely use.

Down for clock, compass and gps at the same time. I'm suprised more people don't use this! Double tap to toggle.

Left is for zeroing simply because I didn't know what else to put there now that the rest of my keybindings are so efficient.

Right is for vision modes so to speak.

My scroll wheel clicks are for changing weapons quickly but the Logitech G9 mouse mid click is very uncomfortable so I don't like using it. Scroll left and right for firing modes.

My mouse side buttons I have used for command menus and various zoom/third-person features but we'll see what I end up binding them to in the end.

That's all I guess.

Put Left SHIFT as look around and also ADJUST.Slight conflict but I have managed to not get irked by it by not looking around when changing stances.

Z/X/C are binos,compass and watch.

You should try out having compass, clock and gps all on the same button as detailed above ;)

Am I the only one that uses an arrow keys-based keyboard setup? I find it a lot easier to not mash the controls when I need to do rapid movements, and when I'm under pressure from a sudden fright (happens more in MP than SP). I've died a few times because I accidentally hit "jump" instead of "strafe right" in a moment of panic, so I've found spacing things out helps a lot. Less important controls can go in the regular part of the keyboard (gear, light, map, etc).

I agree it's very important that whatever you use is intuitive. While rebinding keys I constantly find myself in the middle of combat not knowing for sure how to use my optics, toggle firing modes and such and it's a big pain when it happens.

I also used to pause the game on G and now I throw grenades on G, so I still end up pressing G whenever I want to pause by reflex which obviously causes some problems.

I have used the numpad since OFP 2001. That way I can have all movement keys in logical order and dont have to rely on shift to walk etc.

Numpad movement is interesting. I've always wanted another key above W for running and possibly using S for slow movement and X for backwards but neither my keyboard or keypad really has enough keys.

Ultimately I think going from W to X is a long way for your finger to go in order to toggle between forward and backward movement though so I think WS is the best combo.

Edited by Sneakson

Numpad movement is interesting. I've always wanted another key above W for running and possibly using S for slow movement and X for backwards but neither my keyboard or keypad really has enough keys.

Ultimately I think going from W to X is a long way for your finger to go in order to toggle between forward and backward movement though so I think WS is the best combo.

Thats why I have 3 keys on each side for strafe. Then I can move my fingers/hand up and down depending on the speed I want and still have strafe close ;)

I like numpad because all the keys are easy to find as they are in straight rows and are isolated with plenty of corners to get feedback from when I dont have time to look. My brain and fingers want the keys to be set up in a logical order and struggle with the wasd clutter.

A bigger table is needed though as I have to push the keyboard to the left for ergonomics. But that frees up some space for joysticks and beer so I dont mind :)

Thats why I have 3 keys on each side for strafe. Then I can move my fingers/hand up and down depending on the speed I want and still have strafe close ;)

I like numpad because all the keys are easy to find as they are in straight rows and are isolated with plenty of corners to get feedback from when I dont have time to look. My brain and fingers want the keys to be set up in a logical order and struggle with the wasd clutter.

A bigger table is needed though as I have to push the keyboard to the left for ergonomics. But that frees up some space for joysticks and beer so I dont mind :)

There are keyboards with detachable keypads and bluetooth keypads. I use the Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard 6000 and it has a completely detached bluetooth numpad that I personally keep above the enter button which is at the right end of the keyboard.

It's pretty nice to be able to have my mouse where the numpad normally would be so I don't have to play with my hands too far apart. Everyone really gets their own style after using specialized equipment for a while.

Any experience with PS3 Move Navigator for Arma? It's an analogue one hand stick, usable with some PC drivers.

83px-PlayStation-Move-Navigator.jpg

I have been using analogue controls for infantry movement in Arma for some time (a joystick I had around for flying, with added bonus of twist for leaning), but still find it a bit clunky for infantry control, I was thinking about a smaller controller for infantry with an analogue thumbstick. Only one gaming keyboard had analogue thumbstick, the Logitech G13, and for various reasons I don't want it.

As I see it, it has about 4 buttons plus a D-pad (which I would use probably as up/down stance toggle plus something for the side directions), which would be quite enough for most of my multiplayer needs (I have a R.A.T. mouse for aiming with plenty of assigned buttons as well).

As I understand it, with the MotionJoy drivers, it allows to map the analogue pad as a normal analogue device ingame, plus all the other buttons can be assigned keypress functions. Could be quite enough, and seems to be comfortable to hold in hand for long time (which the joystick or WASD for infantry, for me, are not). The two buttons on top could be ACRE/direct, D-pad for stances and perhaps quick lean, trigger for freelook (controlled by mouse?). And the top hat for movement control of course. For heli flying with the simplified Arma engine I could just remap the analogue pad for pedals and collective, and map cyclic to mouse.

Anybody tried it yet, before I slurp the cash for it :) ? Thanks

fraczek: While I have been a big believer in getting analogue movement into PC games for a long time in the case of ArmA my gut instinct is that if you are going to need a keyboard to support your controller you may as well stick with the keyboard hey?

If you already have one for a PS3 then no harm no foul, seems like a cool way to play simpler games too. I guess one thing you want to do is figure out how many buttons you can reasonably chord together with it for ArmA. If you do go for it and it works let us know :)