Sign in to follow this  
RadmusPrime

What the first thing I should do when I get Arma?

In about a week I will be buying my brandie brand new gaming PC. And the first thing I plan on doing is spending an insane amount of time diving into Arma. I've been obsessed with playing this damn game since hearing about its premise. But now I'm faced with a dilemma. What should I do first? Should foolishly jump straight into the biggest coop game i can find and see how long i last? Should I toy around with the campaign? Mess around with vehicles? Weapons and attachments?

To give myself some background the only exposure I've had to anything close to this type of game was the OFP port to Ps3 and since most console gamers are COD fans and such that experience didn't end well. I've seen a bunch of ShackTacs videos and other game play videos and the level of community support this game seems to have was enough for me to invest in a new rig and make my return to PC after more than a decade awa

Hold your head in your hands, crying "what have I done".lol the reality is that unless you are lucky enough to get accepted through the recruitment process of shacktac the game is nothing like you see on the video. Mostly its folks running around like dafties not knowing what to do and not much communication. Don't get me wrong this has the potential to be a fantastic game for everyone but unless the "vetrans" break rank and start letting "noobs" join their exclusive clubs, people are just gonna play every mission like wasteland.

Hold your head in your hands, crying "what have I done".lol the reality is that unless you are lucky enough to get accepted through the recruitment process of shacktac the game is nothing like you see on the video. Mostly its folks running around like dafties not knowing what to do and not much communication. Don't get me wrong this has the potential to be a fantastic game for everyone but unless the "vetrans" break rank and start letting "noobs" join their exclusive clubs, people are just gonna play every mission like wasteland.

not trying to offend you but get some friends dude. really. if you want military procedure there are many communities to join that will even train you (check out armahilic's header for a slide show of recruiting communities). just don't be an asocial idiot and they will accept you. as for general play. of course you will end up with a bunch of clueless noobs shooting each other if you always flock to the fullest public server (mostly lone wolf PvP). get some good missions from armaholic and host some coop missions. wait till some people join and then keep communications up. ban idiots and you're good to go even without friends.

seriously. if you think the game will do the job of actual human interaction for you then you might wanna join a big MMO.

if you put in just a bit effort yourself you can get a lot out of arma. shacktac is pretty big and they don't always recruit but as i said there are many more. getting accepted is mostly up to if they are recruiting and your own behaviour.

Stay away from multiplayer for the first times.

Play the showcase missions and place yourself together with weapon crates and vehicles in the map to learn the controls in a relaxed environment. You don't need to be in a organized group like shacktac to be able to enjoy the multiplayer, however, communication is the key. So try to get a buddy in ts or skype or whatever and download some coop missions :)

Play the showcase missions first, this will give you time to dial in your controls and graphics settings the way you want them. Took about me about 2 hours to get everything exactly the way I wanted it and complete the missions.

After that, its up to you. Do you like coop missions? Do you like team death match style missions? Do you want to make your own missions?

Even though the alpha has only been out for a short time, the user created content has already started flooding in. Lots to choose from.

Find yourself a community and friends to play with. This is sim game and sim games need always a lot of time to get in fully especially if you do it alone. There isn't even anti-cheat available yet so basically public is a no no if you don't want to get frustrated about getting nuked.

Play with the editor and the showcases couple of times so you get used to controls and you can adjust your settings better.

I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with the game yet. I'd love to get together with friends and like minded people and play large scale operations in Coop or PvP. Not really a fan of TDM. Though i may give that a shot at some point I'm very much looking forward to working in a fire team. As long as I can get into a group of like minded players and play as a unit I will be happy.

A bit over-exaggerated, but in general I agree. This game needs some things to happen before you can fully enjoy it. It's not like other games where you can just go online and have fun.

+2 hours for configure the bad control scheme and test in the editor ^^

next learn fly

then learn the most controls for the ai