GalComT

German Armed Forces Mod

Not enough moustaches to be era-specific. :D Otherwise, very nice!

• Like 4

I don't know if this mod is still alive, but if so, keep up the great work. I've been DYING for Cold War Germans ever since I got Arma 3 back in the Alpha.

West Germany best Germany.

"Soll jemand die feindlichen Linien infiltrieren?" Sorry, huge Wargame: RD buff here lol.

Yes, Yes we are dead, dead tired due to working so hard 

• Like 8

Will you guys still include the German navy ships?

A quaint little town before the shooting starts. Beautiful!

Holy what, you folks are making your own map?! Oh wow, no wonder about the long silences! So much Cold War goodness coming about, I can't wait to defend the FRG from the Warsaw Pact hehe

• Like 11

Beautifull, any real places it's modelled after, or a mix up?

hey i think ive been shot upon in that town... ohh wait no that was your celle2.. mm still great looking town..

• Like 3

Yes, its a real place. Where exactly will be obviously clear soon, for now, it's safe to say we're in Lower Saxony again. :)

• Like 13

Will the map also be suitable for Word War 2 scenarios?

• Like 1

You can suit anything to everything with just enough imagination:don11:

Just kidding looking forward to it.

Hate to ask even more annoying questions, but will you be adding civilian vehicles? I just can't imagine any West German town or city without them.

tumblr_munz7h6tN31sxb66oo1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

I just can't imagine any West German town or city without them.

Just apply arma logic. It works without women and children, so logically civilians driving military trucks is perfectly normal.

To seem "normal" you would also need quite a bunch of vehicles to not be repetitious. I would prefer a focus on military assetts from the time.

On 8.5.2017 at 11:43 PM, REFORGER88 said:

So much Cold War goodness coming about

there can never be enough cold war hotness as far as i'm concerned.

• Like 6

Indeed, the cold war does get hot. Currently the temperatures around 30°C do make the work a bit more tiresome, but nonetheless I'd like to share some info on the terrain project.

The obvious choice is of course the northern plains of Germany. In this case, we'll be fighting directly, smack on, just before and just after the Inner German Border.
Located at the border between the towns of Weferlingen in the East and Grasleben in the West, the area of almost exactly 20.5km x 20.5km will be the stage for grand mechanised warfare that even invites Artillery for a suitable tango alongside. It is scaled so that 1 meter ingame equals 1 meter in reality. Arguably the terrain grid of 5m does make this not entirely accurate, but this is OK for me.

Now, seeing that this meant to be the cold war, the terrain will be 80's-tastic, along with old signs, flowery wallpaper and, of course, the Inner German Border in all its brutality. I am taking this project as an opportunity to create a digital museum of this end-of-the-world construction. This means that I am doing extensive research into how the area looked like and what was where in and around the year of 1983.
To do so, I am currently sitting on a big fat stack of books around the topic of the Inner German Border, as well as one 1:25 000 scale map depicting the area how it was in 1984 as surveyed by the Government of Lower Saxony. Additionally, two original maps printed for the East German Border Troops help me complete this picture. These maps help me accurately place roads and villages as they were in the early eighties. A lot as changed since then.

Rather gratefully, I am also supported by first-hand witnesses of the Border Troops who served there in the early and late 1980s. Their knowledge and input on the engineering of "the wall" greatly help me accurately placing assets and to make sure they are of the correct kind.

I will top all this off by a visit to the Federal Military Archive of Germany later this summer to gain access to explicit documents about this installation, including what I hope to be (formerly) top secret maps of the installations. The ones I currently have were only declared "Secret". 

What this means: The map is literally divided. Not only by rivers and railway, but also by one of the most known, yet actually very unknown in detail, structure of the 20th Century.

Along with this big massive 20x20 terrain, I am also creating completely new assets. Houses, factories, sheds, fences, lamps, bridges, rails, road signs and other incidentals. So far the enterable structures count 26 unique files on their own.

Currently the status of this terrain is the final asset creation state. There is no point in starting cities and villages without all the assets ready yet. I plan to finish these soon and then making them available to individual mapmakers who wish to start using these in their project prior to my release. Please PM me in these cases. Also, PM me if you need something from the Military Archives. While I'm already there, why not go digging deep. :)

I hope you can truly appreciate the magnitude of this project, and that I am already halfway done.

• Like 28

This is too cool. The North German Plain location makes for excellent gameplay scenarios with different Warsaw Pact and NATO factions. With the BAOR and friends up there, it isn't limited to just the FRG and US troops. And the 1983 timeline is perfect! I've got some big plans for the Able Archer Campaign.

• Like 8

All my wet dreams just came true! Thank you so much! Now we only need some DDR-Units mod...

• Like 2

im soo lost here mondie but great maps :P

• Like 1

Really cool! :)  Is the terrain going to be released separately from the german forces mod?

Yay, Mondkalb is back! Those trees look awesome, where are they from?

Sounds awesome, I'm currently reading Red Storm Rising and it is increasing my wish for Cold War goodness haha! Someone else asked I think, but will the units be released before, or at the same time as the map?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Red Partisan said:

Sounds awesome, I'm currently reading Red Storm Rising and it is increasing my wish for Cold War goodness haha! Someone else asked I think, but will the units be released before, or at the same time as the map?

Red Storm Rising is an awesome book. I already thought about recreating the area of Iceland that is described in the book but didn´t yet manage to find time for it :)

Mondkalb´s map will most likely be a real treat, maybe someone with sufficient video editing skills could even try to recreate some of the scenes of that book that take place in the Fulda Gap when the map is released.

• Like 1