Sign in to follow this  
lokoroth

Why can't I put my binoculars on my helmet during the day?

It really doesn't make sense to have the NIGHTVISION goggles on my head for quick access during the daytime. It would be a lot better if the binoculars were there for quick access. I absolutely hate the way binoculars work right now, the long awkward animation for equipping them it just doesn't make sense.

It really doesn't make sense to have the NIGHTVISION goggles on my head for quick access during the daytime. It would be a lot better if the binoculars were there for quick access. I absolutely hate the way binoculars work right now, the long awkward animation for equipping them it just doesn't make sense.

this unassignItem "NVGoggles";

this removeItem "NVGoggles";

And just use a scoped weapon. :)

No that doesn't solve the issue. When I am my team's grenadier, I don't have a scoped weapon. Not everybody wants/likes to have a custom loadout for every mission/scenario.

It's 2035. You'd think they'd have the technology to make binoculars that clamp into the same mounting system as the nightvision goggles.

No that doesn't solve the issue. When I am my team's grenadier, I don't have a scoped weapon. Not everybody wants/likes to have a custom loadout for every mission/scenario.

It's 2035. You'd think they'd have the technology to make binoculars that clamp into the same mounting system as the nightvision goggles.

I would say by 2035 they already have advanced helmet mounted thermal sights or even full color NVG but helmet binoculars also sound good.

Helmet mounted binoculars seem a bit daft. In reality you'd just hang a pair of binocs around your neck with a strap, and lift them to your eyes as and when you needed them - just as quick as flipping them up and down on a helmet armature.

The whole point of helmet-mounted vision devices is that you can have them down over your eyes while you perform tasks with yours hands - Optical magnification fucks with your depth-perception and ability to change focus between near and distant objects. It's not like you can walk around with binoculars over your eyes without stumbling around like an idiot (seriously, try walking down your stairs holding binoculars front of your eyes), or look down at your hands to see what you're doing, without adjusting the focal depth on the binocs. Helmet-mounted kit is only really sensible with unity vision (1x magnification).

Edited by da12thMonkey

^ What he said.

But binos need some love from Smookie.

I don't know why so many people complain about the binoculars handling. Complaining about non-instant-binoculars seems to me like complaining about recoil when shooting...

In real life it also takes more than half a second to lower/shoulder your weapon, take out (or from hanging in front of your chest) the bins and move them to your eyes. Also the other way round.

But indeed the bins could be attached to your helmet instead of the NVG (not instantly within 0.0001 seconds when pressing the key or the menu/icon/whatever).

Further, activating and deactivating the NVG and bins (already on your helmet) should have a short animation (raising hand to helmet... yeah, programming/manpower ressources...) and delay the actual vision according to the animation.

Somehow it's also too arcadish to de/activate NVGs by mental powers (no animation, no delay). You can de/activate it while running, within vehicles while both hands on steering wheel or cannon.

Edited by RogueTrooper

I don't think its arcadish, having the animations would be good but they don't are that important, while you're steering wheel or whatever how much time it would take take the NVG? I don't know how much effort would be needed to add this feature, but it would be just eyecandy.

a little OT:

I think it's really bad idea carry Bino on your chest as it makes you stand out from the group, same reason you don't salute officers in front line.

"Hey! Have a look at that hedge over there.....here, have my helmet so you can look through the binoculars mounted to it"

full color NVG
:D the nvg is green ... The reason for this is that your eye has the most receptors for green ! ;) Edited by JgBtl292

Activating and deactivating NVGs instantly isn't really a problem because there aren't many situations were time is of the essence. You either want to see in the dark, or you don't.

Instant toggle magnification, however, now that's scifi as all fuck.

I'd prefer to just be able to drop my bins from my eyes and be able to raise them back up again rather than walk around with them up all the time. ACE2 kinda did this but they never dropped enough (so 2x Left CTRL would drop and raise them just like it does for your weapons.