Sign in to follow this  
machineabuse

Trigger follow through

There are a few topics that have been talking about the walking recoil of the Alpha on average being more severe than in ArmA2, personally I'm down with it already having learned to control it. However I did have an idea that might have some merit/appeal to others.

The idea is to simulate shot follow through for semi automatic fire only. The mechanical rule is that after you press the mouse button and fire the shot, your sights will return to point of aim as long as you have the mouse button held down through the entire recoil cycle.

Additionally when you release the trigger there will be an audible click as the trigger group resets. In a weapon with a bolt/slide holdopen this will let the player know audibly that the weapon is empty if they are slow firing (The shooters in the forum will know what I'm talking about).

Just a thought :) feel free to discuss or ignore~

*edit* Tracker added!

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=6643

Edited by Machineabuse
In case people miss the tracker later in the thread

That's getting a little deep into the mechanics and principles of rifle marksmanship for a video game.

That's getting a little deep into the mechanics and principles of rifle marksmanship for a video game.

Arma also qualifies as a simulation! I think this would be a welcome change and benefit all the sharp shooters in the community.

It's not really that much of a simulator. And if it is a simulator, it isn't a simulator about marksmanship. Are we going to have to carry CLP in our inventories too to keep the CSWs functioning?

I actually like this Idea. For higher difficulties, this gets my support, even if it is a little deep simulation.

But, this kind of marksmanship skill is important for an infantryman, and Arma being an infantry simulation, I think it should at least be considered as a gameplay feature.

There's a ton of marksmanship skills that are important for infantryman. How are we going to model keeping your sight picture?

I actually like this a lot. If you create a ticket you have my vote.

TBH the one thing I miss about playing on 360 is the triggers for shooting.

Arma also qualifies as a simulation! I think this would be a welcome change and benefit all the sharp shooters in the community.

Indeed, this would be a really nice addition to shooting mechanics.

I wouldn't really say it changes anything difficulty wise for a new player as the weapons would behave the same way they do currently with the only exception that holding the trigger down brings the muzzle back down and the audible reset. So again for clarity;

1. If you press and hold the trigger the shot kicks the muzzle up into recoil, comes back down and settles back at point of aim

2. If you just tap and release the trigger, the shot kicks the muzzle up and off the target as it normally does in the game.

3. Releasing the trigger you hear the trigger reset with an audible *click*.

4. If the bolt/slide is to the rear; no click.

The guys here who are old enough to have played Infiltration UT will remember that one thing we did (there goes my cover ;)) was make it so that with the .50 cal bolt action you could follow through the shot by holding down the mouse button and on release it then cycled the bolt. This is an extension of that idea.

I'll create a ticket either this evening or tomorrow morning :)

Well, bolt action is a completely different thing, also I personally like to ride the bolt quickly to observe the point of impact to make correction easier.

Another thing is that while I like the idea of having the point of aim off target, having the muzzle stay up is simply unrealistic,.(Unless you can rewrite the laws of physics)

Edited by 4 IN 1

If the recoil for arma 3 is the same as it was for arma 2, it's done via a short animation applied to the weapon each time it is fired. You can make the weapon do whatever you want, for as long as you want, afaik. So, you could make the gun come back to the original aimpoint so long as the gun didn't fire again before it returned, without even changing the way recoil works. And then, as long as the animation is longer than the weapon's cyclic rate, the weapon would climb (or do whatever else) as long as it's being fired.

Edited by Max Power

If the recoil for arma 3 is the same as it was for arma 2, it's done via a short animation applied to the weapon each time it is fired. You can make the weapon do whatever you want, for as long as you want, afaik. So, you could make the gun come back to the original aimpoint so long as the gun didn't fire again before it returned, without even changing the way recoil works. And then, as long as the animation is longer than the weapon's cyclic rate, the weapon would climb (or do whatever else) as long as it's being fired.

Yup. Essentially asking for that +fries on the side.

I remember the time the new beta/patch came out for Arma2 that introduced the new recoils which opened some debate about the severity, does it compare direct or is it actually more in 3?

It's entirely possible that BIS haven't fully implemented the shooting mechanics yet. Given their experience with this kind of game you can be relatively confident they will sort it in the end.

I like this idea. Rewards steady shooting, you have to get the rhythm for smooth follow up shots.

I like the idea also and it makes sense.