Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

strange AI-mortar behaviour

In comparison to Arma 2 an AI-mortar with AI as groupleader is able to fire at all at least.

Yet there seem to be some problems. The mortar gunner does not fire (appropriate targets in appropriate range) when there are other weapons in his group or when he does not have a direct line of sight to his target.

Testing scenario:

* player (infantry)

* hostile mortar 400m away

* mortar grouped with infantry unit which stands near the player

* infantry can see the player and can report an enemy to his mortar

* no line of sight between player and mortar

When the infantry has a gun, the mortar does not fire at all at the player.

The mortar ONLY starts to fire when

1. the infantry has no gun and

2. the mortar has a direct line of sight to the player (which isn't very 'mortarily' at all).

Yes. Also noted, that AI mortar see no problem with firing at target even, if there are friendly units there (perhaps was not awared about their presence, but I doubt it). So "friendly fire" avoidance could be nice. Same for target movement prediction for better targeting (but not tested that, perhaps there is used such thing already).

I've also noticed when using AI mortors with the support module, they will fire off all their rounds (if they ARE in sight of any targets) right at the beginning of the mission, and will have none left when you call in support. I've gotten around this by parking cars around them to remove their vision.

Relatedly, it seems they magically see through all sorts of trees an buildings and whatnot when they fire off all 16 round right at the beginning of the mission.