Safety / Weapon Malfunctions

Do you want a safety / jam  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a safety / jam

• Yes
    • No
    • Only jams
    • Only safety

I like the idea of jams. But what would be the process of clearing the weapon. You'd have to make it engaging. One thing that would probably make something like that pointless is if it is an auto correct kinda thing. The situation it could put players in would be a great lesson in covering and communication.

In reality for a trained operator it would only take a few seconds to go through the steps to clear the weapon. I think (if memory serves) there are three different steps to clearing a jamed weapon such as a M16. Weapon doesn't fire? Rack the weapon again and clear the possible bad round also check the brass. Does the weapon fire? Remove magazine. Rack weapon and finger bang the mag well to remove any deformed or jammed rounds. Slap mag back in, rack the weapon and fire.

I think having these steps could give the player something else to do other than just shooting at people. I would say link it to a reload button that is held and a second key held at the same time to initiate the weapon check.

The safety feature could be a really good feature. It forces the player to be more aware of their weapon in general.

Now I say this having only played Arma 2 for a few seconds on a friends laptop. So if these features already exist I didn't encounter them.

I like the idea of jams. But what would be the process of clearing the weapon. You'd have to make it engaging. One thing that would probably make something like that pointless is if it is an auto correct kinda thing. The situation it could put players in would be a great lesson in covering and communication.

In reality for a trained operator it would only take a few seconds to go through the steps to clear the weapon. I think (if memory serves) there are three different steps to clearing a jamed weapon such as a M16. Weapon doesn't fire? Rack the weapon again and clear the possible bad round also check the brass. Does the weapon fire? Remove magazine. Rack weapon and finger bang the mag well to remove any deformed or jammed rounds. Slap mag back in, rack the weapon and fire.

I think having these steps could give the player something else to do other than just shooting at people. I would say link it to a reload button that is held and a second key held at the same time to initiate the weapon check.

The safety feature could be a really good feature. It forces the player to be more aware of their weapon in general.

Now I say this having only played Arma 2 for a few seconds on a friends laptop. So if these features already exist I didn't encounter them.

First step in clearing any malfunction is to tilt the weapon and check what is causing it to not fire.

The steps to clearing an M16 (or any AR variant) comes down to 3 situations:

1) Bolt fully forward - In this case you slap the magazine (to try and reseat the rounds properly), rack the slide and get back into the fight.

2) Bolt stuck halfway - This is caused by an obstruction in the chamber preventing the bolt from seating properly. Commonly caused by double feeds. In this case you lock the bolt to the rear, strip out the magazine, rack the slide 2-3 times (to clear obstructions), load the magazine, release the bolt catch, and get back into the fight.

3) Bolt fully to the rear - This generally means your weapon is empty. Release the magazine and load a fresh one. Get back into the fight.

Slap, Pull, Observe, Release, Tap, Shoot,

Thats the immediate action drill for weapon malfunctions.

This is the remedial action drill for the m4/m16 variant.

Try to place the weapon on safe

Remove the magazine

Lock the bolt to the rear

Place the weapon on safe if not already done

I have to admit I said NO to stoppages and safetys.

Just for the sheer fact that I'd be typing with my elbows or something and end up hitting the safety key and rage out when i get shot because my weapons decided not to play.

Stoppages well I suppose on Belt Fed weapons it would be okay, but I rarely get stoppages with my Individual weapon In fact I can't remember the last time I had one.

LMG's like the FN Minimi thou, that things always spazing out so yeah i suppose stopages for that would be legit.

If we are going for realism.... We need run away machine guns, and barrel changes. If you want to get super stupid head space and time the 50. Lol

No for jamming to a degree

after all Isn't caseless ammunition very unprone to jamming inside the weapon?

this would end up leading to unbalancing issues to the other factions weapons.

however safety checks would add more depth to a game.

but i would imagine that it wouldn't be for everyone. keep it to VBS2 and perhaps the modders could incorporate into the game if they wish

i do however support an improvement to a safety fire selector to all weapons

If we are going for realism.... We need run away machine guns, and barrel changes. If you want to get super stupid head space and time the 50. Lol

Yeah, I Didn't like the way Ace made the barrels out of chocolate thou.

All thou it would be nice to see chaining barrels every 400 rounds etc.

No for jamming to a degree after all Isn't caseless ammunition very unprone to jamming inside the weapon?

Yea but apparently it causes the Gun to overheat quickly and sometimes make the bolt so hot that they will start cooking off before the trigger is pulled.

No for jamming to a degree

after all Isn't caseless ammunition very unprone to jamming inside the weapon?

this would end up leading to unbalancing issues to the other factions weapons.

I don't think it's a problem in ArmAs, individual weapon balance is never a priority in the series, and weapon malfunction is not very common either.

I prefer there malfunctioning attachments: optical sights, bipods, ir, flashlight...forced to use the iron sights, and lose benefits in the dark.why arma3 to have the ability to attach? right?

Edited by PFC Magician

The guns in the alpha, esp. 6.5mm, rarely (if ever) jam in real life. Jamming the guns would make it less realistic, unless you drag a gun through water/mud then try to shoot it.

I'm pretty sure what BI was going for in the "MX" series with the 6.5 build was a replication of a 6.8mm modern firearm.

Most 6.8's use a piston driven system unlike the M4 series of our current-gen weaponry.

So putting jams in a advanced weapon like the MX, which looks extremely similar to the Magpul ACR as well as the FN Scar, would be pretty unrealistic. Weapon jams rarely occur in advanced weapons such as these, if it was an M16 or something of the matter it would be understandable though, as the user would simply have to do a malfunction clear and reinsert a new mag.

Pistols on the other hand would be way more likely to jam as opposed to advanced assault rifles, same with the light machine guns.

So likelyhood of jams in assault rifles: <10% chance

LMGs: 30-40% chance

Pistols: <20% chance

^All in my opinion if you are looking at it from a real world perspective

Ghillie, your likelyhood of failure is pretty extreme.

In 2007 the US Military carried out dust tests between the M4, XM8, SCAR-L and HK416. The M4 was the weakest performer out of the 4 and it's likelyhood of failure was <2% in conditions created with the express purpose of making the weapons fail.

http://www.army.mil/article/6649/

Safety yes, jams sure as long as it is extremely infrequent. And it should be.

Speaking of jams I really liked the reload system is Gears of War where you can try hitting R at the right time to reload about twice as fast -- but if you miss you sort of jam your weapon, fumble the magazine etc and it actually takes several times longer to reload.

Reloading nowadays is pretty much finger-resting time.

Safety yes, jams sure as long as it is extremely infrequent. And it should be.

Speaking of jams I really liked the reload system is Gears of War where you can try hitting R at the right time to reload about twice as fast -- but if you miss you sort of jam your weapon, fumble the magazine etc and it actually takes several times longer to reload.

Reloading nowadays is pretty much finger-resting time.

Gamification of reloading/malfunction clearances makes sad pandas.

Safety = Take your finger off LMB

This is my safety: *points to index finger* ;)

Check and mate. ;)

55268d1351278561-thumb-saftey-ak-safety6ln.jpg

I find there is no real need for a safety feature. In fact, I don't use ACE's safety feature at all. Using 2xCTRL is just as easy and a lot faster, since it's a well-known feature.

Jamming would be ok, but like it was mentioned before, if they want to add that as a feature it would be best as a module.

Edited by colossus
typo

Check and mate. ;)

I find there is no real need for a safety feature. In fact, I don't use ACE's safety feature at all. Using 2xCTRL is just as easy and a lot faster, since it's a well-known feature.

Jamming would be ok, but like it was mentioned before, if they want to add that as a feature it would be best as a module.

What if 2xCTRL put the gun in safety mode, then put it down? Would need a changed animation and take quarter a second longer but perhaps be nicer? I think it's silly to be able to look down on your weapon and see AUTO, SEMI and SAFE and only be able to use two.

Safety might me good when the weapon is lowered.

It should be engaged en disengaged automaticly though, as IRL the act of disengaging your safety is so fast and you cant simulate it with a mouse and keyboard.

Jams might be good, especially with belt-fed weapons!

Weapon jams... I want, I want my gun to jam and get me killed because I couldnt unjam it too quickly!