Safety / Weapon Malfunctions

Do you want a safety / jam  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a safety / jam

• Yes
    • No
    • Only jams
    • Only safety

Would you like to see them in the vanilla game?

Personally I would love to see both in Arma 3. A safety for obvious reasons and malfunctions to add another degree of stress into an engagement, accepting that the weapon I am firing right now might not fire the next round.

Edited by lolipoyi

Jams - for sure!

Safety, not really fussed.

Some people operate safety off. So it would only rub the fancy of a sub-player group.

i think no - safte for ? is a war game you have all the time the weapon ready

jams - no they are to extremely rare. for the time in the game where you live and shot.

only maby overheating ;)

Safety = Take your finger off LMB and if you are going AFK lower your weapon.

Maybe having that as a tooltip would be handy.

As for malfunctions I'd also say overheating related malfs make the most sense in the context of a game. Just my 2c

I wouldn't mind adding safety into selection cycles, like: S-1-FA

Both are needed. A safety will prevent NDs in the field. It is common practice to have your safety on until engaged in combat. As far as malfunctions go. This is arma, combat is not a 10 minute team death match, it is long and drawn out and weapon malfunctions are perfectly reasonable.

SOP for many armed forces is that the weapon goes on safe whenever the weapon is not shouldered. Mechanical safety is not a replacement for the cardinal rules of keeping your finger off the trigger and not pointing your gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy.

I think both are not needed. Do not make a complicated game even more difficult,especially for beginners Arma players.

I think both are not needed. Do not make a complicated game even more difficult,especially for beginners Arma players.

Something like jamming would logically be implemented only in the higher difficulty settings.

Equipment failures - nah, not in vanilla. Maybe as a module... jams, punctures, tripping, all count as the same sort of random mishap right? :)

And safety gets old REALLY quickly.

If BI don't implement it, then ACE does. Certainly the safety catch feature anyway.

It would be nice to see anway. Although the drawing the pistol while on the move issue needs to be addressed to make that work well.

I think the safety is going too far. The extra clicks will be tedious. Jamming would be cool, less so on small arms unless we're talking crappy insurgent weapons, but more so on crew served weapons like vehicle-mounted machine guns jamming.

Maybe it would be a good idea to add the safety option, but make the default 'safety off'. This way you can still have the extra security e.g. in your base / when the mission starts, but you don't always have to ready your weapon when you play action heavy scenarios.

Forced safety in spawn-zones, yes.

I think jams could be "useful" If it only happened if you fired full auto for a longer time, kinda nerfing the MG's, its too easy to just sit and fire all day. A little jam would be alright, so they would do controlled fire.

I would support jams only if you´d have to manually do sports. :I And have a cool animation for it.

A lot of ftf's/eject and stoppages in general are caused by the weapon being fouled by dirt/carbon build up or something like that, and of course the other culprits, bad ammo and old or worn magazines. If that's going to be the case, then you'd need to implement some kind of weapon cleaning routine, which would be a bit ridiculous in a game. Otherwise, you'd just be modelling some kind of random number, which IMHO wouldn't be realistic at all. A quality AR/AK (for example) that's in good condition and freshly cleaned and lubed, combined with good mags and ammo will almost never give issues. If you're going to model worn mags, dodgy ammo etc then it's all going to be a bit much to keep track of for both game and player. So unless you want 'randomly, my gun jammed' (ie not realistic), I think we'd be better off assuming our soldier has good mags and ammo, and recently sat down and gave his equipment a decent going over.

I'd like to see both. I know ACE had a jam system that was pretty good. Also, VBS uses a safety system. Which is nice for that extra bit of realism. Although, it's not really needed as you can already drop your weapon.

It seems that those of us leaning towards realism are hoping for a safety and those of us that want to just "get in the action" don't want it. Im not worried, ACE will do it either way.

You can make your weapon safe though it's real clunky, drop all ur magazines and pick them back up but don't reload.

There's no realistic way to make something as reflexive as flicking off the safety and making it realistic by giving it that level of responsiveness in-game.

What will the consequences be of leaving your safety off in-game? If you're SF will you be allowed to leave the safety off your weapons?

I really don't see either of these happening, at least not in the vanilla... Safety would be pointless in the end, and when it comes to jamming, finding a good occurrence ratio and balance would be tedious. Besides, the weapons using caseless ammunition would have an obvious advantage, and to counterbalance this, they would have to have an increased chance of overheating or even premature explosion of the ammunition.

I think relastic jamming and failure rates would be nifty.

As for safety selection, not so much. Only because manupulation of the selector swtich is not as easy with a mouse as it is in real life.

and when it comes to jamming, finding a good occurrence ratio and balance would be tedious.

It's already been done in ArmA2 to a realistic extent. So it wouldn't be 'tedious'.

I think that jamming should be more complicated than just a random chance. The most important factor would be weapon condition, which should be implemented not only as a function of use in-mission, but as a variable to be set by the mission designer. That way, an insurgent with an old, rusty M16A1 would have it jam frequently, while a brand new SF gun would never do it. Throwing the gun around recklessly should damage it, and shooting it should disable it or at least make it extremely unreliable. Then there are secondary conditions, such as magazine loaded (drum mags jam more), weather (could be rolled into a mission-specific "jam modifier") and player's movement (chance of jamming should be marginally higher after a long crawl in the dust). Quick reloading should also increase the chance of jamming, as should moving while reloading (doable IRL, but clumsy).

And of course, we need a weapon-specific jam cleaning animation. America's Army does that very well, at least for the M16. It'd greatly add to realism, especially if explained in AA-style training mission.

As for the safety, this should be implemented as just another fire mode, just like it is on real guns. Really, just a logical extension of the firemode switch functionality, and probably not hard to mod.