Sign in to follow this  
Fap

Compilation of issues I've found or read about intensively.

All I'm seeing is an irrational fear of change. I liked it well enough up until and through ArmA2 but that doesn't change the fact that it's bad design. I'm not suggesting removing it entirely but changing how it functions and what entries should appear in it. Basic actions like opening doors and climbing ladders should not be among them.

[off topic]

I like you.

[/off topic]

Anyways I feel like I should copy paste all of my ideas into a single post so it's easier to keep track of.. or a link to some google doc so I can edit it freely, that's allowed right?

Edited by Fap

All I'm seeing is an irrational fear of change.

Given what happens to many games when the developers "streamline" the game, I'd say the fear is far from irrational.

Though I do admit Arma's UI is unnecessarily clunky and unintuitive, however you have to bear in mind there are so many controls and interfaces to be managed, and a universal scroll menu might just be the simplest solution.

Given what happens to many games when the developers "streamline" the game, I'd say the fear is far from irrational.

Though I do admit Arma's UI is unnecessarily clunky and unintuitive, however you have to bear in mind there are so many controls and interfaces to be managed, and a universal scroll menu might just be the simplest solution.

It doesn't really matter if it's the simplest. All it takes is a 1 minute bootcamp to teach people.

And tbh, it already has a learning curve, changing this would only make it slightly easier.

:edit:

The developers wouldn't break the game by adding community requested features..

I trust they know what they are doing. Don't you? :)

Edited by Fap

I share the same sentiment. It happened with Red Orchestra 2's release. I understand the fear and hatred towards "make things more accessible" but we're not talking about turning one of the finest WWII games into a CoD wannabe. It's a simple menu and it's bad.

Motivation for devs:

"ArmA3 claims to be all about streamlining the gameplay mechanics but they seem to have stopped at animation fluidity."

"Fighting the scroll menu to open only one of 3 nearby doors is not good design. It's like a not so fun guessing game. 3 doors in the list, hmm... I wonder which one I should choose to open the door I want to go through"

Gorbachev is spot on.

To sum it all up (except a little piece of the first post, I think):

Recoil is fucked up completely

Scroll Menu/Weapon Swapping/Satchel Placing/Opening Doors - all of this is fucked up too

"space = the universal use/open key" - "We have too many keys that do the same thing anyways." - "Also there should be completely different control schemes in all the different types of vehicles" - "the "Use Optics/Sights" key is not the same in vehicles as it is for infantry by default. This is mind boggling. Also, holding the right mouse button is not consistently zoom in every vehicle. Sometimes you just tap it to zoom, others you hold it and vice versa for vehicle optics. This level of inconsistency screams "bad design" to me."

"I honestly cannot believe that Primary, Secondary, Launcher and Satchel/Mine do not have number keys set for them.

1 = Rifle

2 = Pistol

3 = Launcher

4 = Satchel/IED

5 = Mine

Why the hell do we need to scroll wheel and select, it's so bloody clunky.

Also 100% agree on a shortcut key for opening doors or climbing ladders! You should be able to press a single key and when your player is close enough he will move into the animation."

"Ever seen a guy stop in the middle of line of fire to pull out a pistol because he's out of ammo? Nah, neither have i.

Not being able to move while swapping weapons is stupid, ok maybe it should limit your speed, but being locked in position... just no."

Shooting up/down in a 90 degree angle is impossible. Needs a fix. 90 degrees is the minimum, anything else would be unrealistically restrictive.

Edited by Fap

f1-f12 keys do the same functions as 0-9 keys, they might as well free up the 0-9 keys for customary binds (and its a great movement for streamlining)

another method for streamlining the action menu could be those "como-rose"-style UI (in the fashion of Battlefield, L4d, Portal etc.), where you hold down action button, drag mouse to direction of action button, and release to perform action

Special actions will be available in certain conditions as usual (ie. if you are next to a door, the open door action will be available; or if you are next to a injured player, you can choose to pick him up or revive him etc.)

its more intuitive to pull off actions via mousedragging (como-rose style) than doing mousewheel+spacebar