Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

Player's avatar should Automatically raise their weapon after closing the Map

I posted this on the issue tracker. Just posting here to see others thoughts. Here is the ticket: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5710

Observed Behavior

Currently, after you have closed the map, your weapon remains in the Lowered position and you have to click fire or use the raise weapon key press to bring your weapon back to the raised position. This feels very clunky and unintuitive.

Expected Behavior:

When you close the map your gun should automatically return to the raised position.

Steps To Reproduce:

With a weapon equipped, open the map then close it. Notice how your gun remains lowered.

Additional Information:

In it's current state, this can't be a realism feature as surely that would mean you should also have to manually lower your weapon before opening the map also, which you don't. This is done automatically, as should be the case with raising your weapon after the Map has been closed.

I prefer the weapon stays lowered and only raised when i decide, i dont like how the game auto raises the weapon to ready position and i constantly have to 2XCTRL to lower it.

For me it just feels better to move around with lowered weapon and only raised when i need to use it.

What would be good is if it stays in the position the player chooses without auto lowering/raising, not sure if that would work?

it seems like a bug. often when it happens, and I click the RMB, it tries to ADS with the weapon still down

Yeah unless there is actually going to be some 'looking at map' animation, I would rather the weapon position didn't change at all. Currently it's a bother in the Alpha because if you raise your sights while walking forward with weapon down, you get stuck in a walk forward animation.

Yup it should probably stay lowered, or better yet it should not change at all, i.e. if you had it lowered prior to opening the map it should stay lowered, and the same for if it were raised.

It stays lowered to simulate how difficult it is to look at a map and then instantly shoot an enemy as you come out of the map view. It takes time. So what is the solution? Check the map less often and try to memorize the area ahead of where you are going.

It should be in the same stance as before looking at the map. It's one of the things that breaks the flow and smoothness of the character movement that they already improved in Arma 3. Having it lower afterwards is an unnecessary "realism", most people just want to play the game and focus on the main action/theme of the game (shooting), and not focusing on keys for scratching balls.

EDIT: keep in mind that today you can have GPS devices with the full map, you can take a look at them even running, without lowering the weapon.

http://www.armytimes.com/xml/news/2011/03/army-microdagr-to-help-soldiers-in-battlefield-031211w/031411at_minidagr_800.JPG

EDIT2: Probablly in 2035, you wont have to make any gesture at all to look at the map, with devices like google glasses.

Edited by afp

I think everyone would agree the best way to handle this is to have the weapon position return to however it was before your action.

I personally think returning it to how it was previously would be most prudent. Sort of a hard toggle that says "Okay my weapon is up and it'll keep coming back up until I lower it" or vice versa for lower it and raising it.

Maybe even a profile setting as a Y/N option, "Prefer weapon Up/Down" so when you're climbing ladders or whatnot it'll already know what position to have the weapon in.

It's right how it is, you are not checking the map with your gun raised, so it makes sense when you close the map that the weapon will be lowered. Also as already been mentioned it helps to prevent accidents.

If that was a response to me in particular, I was under the assumption that looking at your map would lower your weapon regardless of whether you want it raised or lowered after. I think it's just intuitive that you wouldn't even be able to point a weapon while looking at a map, let alone want to.

It's more of a discussion that once you put the map away the weapon stays lowered.

Too many ADs already, anyways it only takes a single click to raise your sights.

I think everyone would agree the best way to handle this is to have the weapon position return to however it was before your action.

You think incorrectly! Heck, I prefer the "open map/gear menu = take a knee" approach from A2.

I don't understand the accidental death thing, how can having the gun lowered after you exit the map cause less accidental deaths?

For me, I some times actually fire off accidental rounds when I am trying to raise the gun after looking at the map, beacuse I Click the fire button to bring the gun back to the raised position and occasionally this will also cause me to fire my weapon. Now that could cause accidental tks and give your position away.

I understand why the gun is lowered when you look at the map, it's so other around you can see that your doing some thing. But if manually raising your gun after using the map is supposed to be about realism, then I don't understand why it is ok to have your gun lowered automatically when opening the map but not raised automatically when closing it.

Firstly you're meant to double-tap control to raise or lower your weapon anyway, but I do feel like it returning to it's previous state is best.

EG:

Weapon up ->lowered to look at map -> Auto up upon closing map

or

Weapon down -> stays down looking at map -> close map and stays down

But even if it stays the way it is I personally never found it that much of a bother.

Too many ADs already, anyways it only takes a single click to raise your sights.

no, a single click brings you to ADS looking at the ground. that's why I think it's not working as intended

you have to double tap ctrl to raise your weapon

EG:

Weapon up ->lowered to look at map -> Auto up upon closing map

or

Weapon down -> stays down looking at map -> close map and stays down

Yeah, this makes the most sense to me.

no, a single click brings you to ADS looking at the ground. that's why I think it's not working as intended

you have to double tap ctrl to raise your weapon

Right now, in 0.52, if I ADS, open map, then close map, I go back to ADS. I am in the same orientation/attitude as I was when I opened the map.

If I have my weapon down, it takes one LMB click to raise my weapon.

If I was standing, I come out of the map in a kneel.

Basically, what the OP is asking for is what I am currently seeing in the stable Alpha.*

*edit: Maybe not so much, as I just realized that if my weapon is simply raised, it is lowered when I close the map. As it is now, it doesn't make much sense. It would be better to come out of the map one state down from when you entered, E.G. open map while ADS, exit map to weapon up.

Edited by Harzach

Right now, in 0.52, if I ADS, open map, then close map, I go back to ADS. I am in the same orientation/attitude as I was when I opened the map.

If I have my weapon down, it takes one LMB click to raise my weapon.

If I was standing, I come out of the map in a kneel.

Basically, what the OP is asking for is what I am currently seeing in the stable Alpha.*

*edit: Maybe not so much, as I just realized that if my weapon is simply raised, it is lowered when I close the map. As it is now, it doesn't make much sense. It would be better to come out of the map one state down from when you entered, E.G. open map while ADS, exit map to weapon up.

I just tested it for awhile, and honestly it was inconsistent. some times I came out of the map screen, and the moment I moved, my weapon raised itself. other times it took a single right or left click to raise it. other times it was borked and seemed stuck down unless I double tap ctrl

like I said before, I don't think trying to 'aim down sights', and ending up aiming down the sights at the ground, is intended

Edited by daze23

I think it's fine. The immersion is strong enough that I don't expect my body to automatically return to some "default" setting after every action. I just put my map away, of course my weapon isn't shouldered!

Got my map assigned to 2xM, seems like whenever I close my map, I'm standing in a forward reaching position and when I press fire, my player model quickly, switches to a kneeling position, then stands up and raises his weapon, which obviously can't be intended.

Btw by ADs, I mean Accidental Discharges.

Btw by ADs, I mean Accidental Discharges.

More commonly referred to as a Negligent Discharge, or "ND".