Sign in to follow this  
Bahger

The update broke my mission: How to troubleshoot and fix?

My beautiful mission is now unplayable since the update, as some element has been removed or replaced. I can't even open it in the Editor. Can anyone advise me about how to troubleshoot and fix this (in the source file data, I imagaine)?

It's a very simple mission, the only equipment being HMG Hunters Ifrits (HMGs and Transports, the likely culprits, I reckon) and basic infantrymen with standard loadouts plus TOWs.

Help much appreciated, making the thing took me a while.

Open your "mission.sqm" in a text editor, search for "galkin" and replace all occurances with "ifrit", save and open in the editor. Voilà.

Tried this..cannot locate "qalkin" in any file.. is there other changes?

oops... G not q...;-) can't find "qalkin".. found as part word "Galkin"

and that fixed it..

But I have a strange problem.. it now loads into editor.. it runs fine as lan or local server..

But if I put it to "dedicated" server service online.. it does not go into mission.. just bounces right back to map listing?

Edited by Fuby
still didn't work on dedicated server

What directory is the "mission.sgm" file located?

Well, if the mission is PBO'd you need to unpack it to find the "mission.sqm" inside.

If its a mission you only have in the Editor and havent PBO'd it, its in "C:\Users\Username\Documents\Arma 3 Alpha\missions"

Well, if the mission is PBO'd you need to unpack it to find the "mission.sqm" inside.

If its a mission you only have in the Editor and havent PBO'd it, its in "C:\Users\Username\Documents\Arma 3 Alpha\missions"

PBO? Sorry kind of new to the mission editor

PBO? Sorry kind of new to the mission editor

The format Arma uses for files :)

Is it your own mission or did you download it?

The format Arma uses for files :)

Is it your own mission or did you download it?

Lol thanks! It's actually my friend's files but he's not big into forums so I figured I would try to help him since we play ARMA II/III together all the time. He builds a lot of maps so I'm just touching the surface and learning it more from III.

Thanks for all of your help Byrgesen :D

Lol thanks! It's actually my friend's files but he's not big into forums so I figured I would try to help him since we play ARMA II/III together all the time. He builds a lot of maps so I'm just touching the surface and learning it more from III.

Thanks for all of your help Byrgesen :D

NP mate.

If its his own mission, it should be in "C:\Users\Username\Documents\Arma 3 Alpha\missions"

Thats the default editor save folder for missions.

If he already packed it, its just a simple unpack where ever you like (exactly like winrar/zip) using tools like cpbo.

Theres a package here with several tool, cpbo being one if them :)

Or if you like programs with GUI, PBO view is not a bad choice. This will also associate all PBO files and change theyre icon, for easier use.

Either way it should not be difficult to find it :) If the mission is pretty simple theres not a whole lot of scripts in it yet, so "mission.sqm" should stand out hehe.

Edited by Byrgesen

NP mate.

If its his own mission, it should be in "C:\Users\Username\Documents\Arma 3 Alpha\missions"

Thats the default editor save folder for missions.

If he already packed it, its just a simple unpack where ever you like (exactly like winrar/zip) using tools like cpbo.

Theres a package here with several tool, cpbo being one if them :)

Or if you like programs with GUI, PBO view is not a bad choice. This will also associate all PBO files and change theyre icon, for easier use.

Either way it should not be difficult to find it :) If the mission is pretty simple theres not a whole lot of scripts in it yet, so "mission.sqm" should stand out hehe.

Thanks so much, was able to create a quick mission myself which helped find that when editing in notepad you needed to search for all file types :) from that point he was able to fix all of his missions!

Now it's time to create my own, so I know the maps more than he does :cool:

Thanks so much, was able to create a quick mission myself which helped find that when editing in notepad you needed to search for all file types :) from that point he was able to fix all of his missions!

Now it's time to create my own, so I know the maps more than he does :cool:

Nice one mate.

Another good advice, get Notepad++ for editing your files. It also has search funtions, to find exactly what you need.

You can find a Syntax-Highlighter here on the forum, and it will make manual edit so much easier :)

With thoose tools (and previous) you should be well on your way to becomming "mission-master" :D

Edited by Byrgesen