Sign in to follow this  
ZeroG

ZGM Roadpainting source files for Global Mapper

@Milk: Exactly thats what the tutorial B posted says. Simply put in the road overlay as texture and then use the Smoother or Buldozer tool to clear the roads from bumpiness.

@Twin: Do the map exchange not with GM but use a photo editing tool. Open um 20480x20480rectified and place your map on top of it - dont change the name of the file and make sure your map is aligned to the Origin of my map, then save.

When you now open up the A3roads.gmw project in GM and you have done it right, your map will appear instead of mine, aligned to the grid. Now you can start painting roads as described.

For more info on GM or basics on realword recreation, check out my tutorial from Arma 2 or VBS 2 developer reference on terrain. And the rest is learning by doing....

As a recommendation: I wouldnt necessarily start terrain editing with a 40x40km island - it takes ages to accomplish and is very resource intensive in the process. I do have lots of fast RAM and use a SSD scratchdisk, yet it takes some time even to load in the layer maps for my 20x20km island...so double that for your island. Now, if you change stuff like road width in PS or whatever, it always takes a loooong time until you can see the results in game - that is annoying. For learning how things work, use a 1x1km map.

Thanks I'll give that a try. And i'm not really starting terrain editing, I've spent a lot of time in ArmA 2 with visitor and whatnot just took me a bit to get back in the groove, and the new file structures really threw me for a loop. And I have had zero experience with GM or tools like it. Now that I have my basics back down I'll be tearing it up. Once I master the getting roads into game anyway. And I usually don't have extremely long load times...no idea why as I don't have that powerful of a PC or a SSD for that matter. I just have a lot of free time I guess =/ on another note does anyone else ground textures look "bland" or in other words boring? it's like there isn't any bump mapping or something.

**Edit** Does anyone know how I can resize a image to 40960px by 40960px in png format? Everytime I try Gimp crashes, image resizer comes up with a error of trying to process to much, and infraview says it runs out of memory... /sigh

Edited by Twin2Win

**Edit** Does anyone know how I can resize a image to 40960px by 40960px in png format? Everytime I try Gimp crashes, image resizer comes up with a error of trying to process to much, and infraview says it runs out of memory... /sigh

Thats what I said. My PS4 cant save a PNG that size, only TIFF (which ends with a message that files over 4 GB cant be handled)... :(

Got it to resize and everything. took 3 hours for everything total. Now I have to paste it over yours lol.

Well I am now convinced that your method will not work with maps that are larger. I've tried everything...It just does not work. Guess I'll have to wait for the new tools to continue the large project. Time to work on some smaller ones since I'd like to be able to actually complete something =P

Well I am now convinced that your method will not work with maps that are larger. I've tried everything...It just does not work. Guess I'll have to wait for the new tools to continue the large project. Time to work on some smaller ones since I'd like to be able to actually complete something =P

somethings not right then obviously. when you open both your shapefile and stratis shapefile at the same time do they overlap at some point because then you should be able to see your road network in game. make sure your ( "newRoadsShape = "gm_roads\roads\roads.shp";") in your islands config points to the correct path and your road.cfg is correct and that you have those file ext set correctly in binpbo as well.

somethings not right then obviously. when you open both your shapefile and stratis shapefile at the same time do they overlap at some point because then you should be able to see your road network in game. make sure your ( "newRoadsShape = "gm_roads\roads\roads.shp";") in your islands config points to the correct path and your road.cfg is correct and that you have those file ext set correctly in binpbo as well.

I guess they don't...it's weird because every single time I line them up and export them as vector format shp file they apparently just reset...I hate GM so much...Guess I'll do the whole process for the 50 something time and hope it decides to idk work...

I guess they don't...it's weird because every single time I line them up and export them as vector format shp file they apparently just reset...I hate GM so much...Guess I'll do the whole process for the 50 something time and hope it decides to idk work...

Idk I don't have any problem with it. Try quantum gis if you don't like it.

When you export your road shape file then open that up by itself does it display?

Ya that's whats weird. And I decided to just copy and past stratis's roads files over directly, and they dont show up either. I didn't edit them or anything they just don't work...I have to be missing something....

Try dragging the stratis shape file onto the open global mapper window. Most likely they will be there but if you don't see them it's because your crs of your roads shape file is off. If you zoom out you may be able to see your roads and stratis roads at another coordinate which can be thousands of miles away

But why wouldn't the stratis roads themselves work?

If you open it up by itself it should show up fine. Mine do.

Ya mine do too but what I meant was why when I binarize my island with the Stratis road files even those don't show up?

Ya mine do too but what I meant was why when I binarize my island with the Stratis road files even those don't show up?

Are they specified correctly in the config?

Are your roads in a separate pbo?

Are your extensions to copy directly correct in binpbo?

There's many reasons. Lets try to narrow it down

Edited by M1lkm8n

newRoadsShape = "Rudy\Hawaii\data\roads\roads.shp";

They are not in a separate pbo.

*.pac;*.paa;*.rtm;*.sqf;*.sqs;*.bikb;*.ext;*.fsm;*.wss;*.ogg;*.wav;*.fxy;*.csv;*.html;*.lip;*.txt;*.sqm;*.bisurf;*.dbf;*.prj;*.shp;*.shx;

newRoadsShape = "Rudy\Hawaii\data\roads\roads.shp";

They are not in a separate pbo.

*.pac;*.paa;*.rtm;*.sqf;*.sqs;*.bikb;*.ext;*.fsm;*.wss;*.ogg;*.wav;*.fxy;*.csv;*.html;*.lip;*.txt;*.sqm;*.bisurf;*.dbf;*.prj;*.shp;*.shx;*.cfg

That's what your missing there

and why I use CPBO...

I was manually typing those out my bad.I do have .cfg in there just forgot to type it =P

Is your folder layout the same as the stratis road folder ie do you have the roadlibrary config file in the right spot. Because if your road shape file is correctly aligned and the config is correct they should show up in game. Check your arma3.rpt file to see if there's any errors.

Nothing in RPT out of the ordinary. Just errors for my A2 ported stuff. Header issues as the usual.

Or if you use QGIS and don't want to download country(continent)-wide OSM files you can download osm data concerning your area of interest straight from the QGIS thanks to OSM Plugin.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/QGIS_OSM_Plugin

One another good place to look for free GIS data/tools is the freegeographytools blog (tag 'data').

hey zero I believe I figured out what the ORDER attribute is for.

so heres what I found out:

ORDER is number being say 0 or 1 which will represent which road surface gets drawn on top of another road which also takes into account the _ID number of the roads as well(so the lower the _ID number the higher the priority). so say you have two roads. lets say a main road and a dirt path intersecting the main road going from one side across to the other side of the main road. if your main road is ORDER 0, _ID 1 and your dirt path is ORDER 0, _ID 2 the main road will overlay the dirt path that is going across the main road. however is your main road is ORDER 1 , _ID 1 and your dirt path is ORDER 0, _ID 2 the dirt path will get drawn on top of the main road first.

Edited by M1lkm8n

Kudos, Milk! I will update the first post!

I thought I did this correctly and understood it..

and just to "test it" i did one simple road, a straight line across my 25600x25600 map.. and when I load with the roads it says "too objects in grid", seems very strange to me.

If anyone could help me out I would be very thankful.

I got that error once before too. I didn't realize but when I exported my shape file thing got messed up. so I tried to open the shape file of my roads in global mapper but they were nowhere to be found.

I think I just re-exported a new shape file and I was ok

"too objects in grid xxx" error occurs when road parts are beyond the map borders or too close to that border even from inside of actual map area! I haven't figured out the exact value, but to be safe i'm cutting the road approx. 100-200 meters from the edge of the sat texture.